why did they change them?
i know the pic here is a re-issue but the modern jazz basses seem so bland unless you spends thousands on a special one
what was wrong with keeping the nice inlays and bound neck etc?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by cedaguol
im a sucker for matching headstocks... xD

+1 That has to be the one of the reasons I'm not crazy about Fender. Don't shoot me.

EDIT: It's just kicking in how sexy that thing is .
Last edited by Biehayn at Feb 18, 2008,
That's not a standard Jazz is the answer. I don't know what that model was called (it's probably a "Deluxe")
well the one i pictured wasnt
but the original one from 1975 was a standard
and it was like that

thats what i meant
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
They should definitely re-instate the block inlays. They're what made 70's jazzes that sexy. If they only made a black on black precision with a maple fretboard and block inlays, and with the precision neck profile... egad. I'd have to waste every penny I have on it.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
yeah :P
i hate dotted fret markers
what is the point?
they look sooooo ugly
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
Dotted fret markers look like the sex if they're offset
other than that i would prefer to have no fret markers or blocks.

If I ever get a Jazz bass I would want to change the neck, Find one with a similar profile, offset dots (or block) and 24 frets instead of 20. I might be able to custom shop that though.
Quote by IndianRockStar
Wait a second. 3 bolt neck plate? Even if that doesn't mean its bad, that means something else on the bass is bad.

But I'm all for Fender bringing these back.

The 3 bolt plate isn't bad, and it doesn't imply anything for the bass, the reason that 70s fenders had neck issues is that the neck heel size and neck pocket didn't match up. You could have had an 8 bolt plate and the necks still would have moved.

And to the TS, what most people don't know is that the custom color and binding would have been about a 15% upcharge. Now that doesn't sound like much, but in 1970's dollars, that came out to a nice wad.

Not only that, but the quality wasn't great on CBS fender or Norlin Gibson. Not alot of bang for your buck. So the current jazz basses play better and are built sounder than most 70s jazz basses. They just dont have the eye candy factor
Quote by shinhoman

why did they change them?
i know the pic here is a re-issue but the modern jazz basses seem so bland unless you spends thousands on a special one
what was wrong with keeping the nice inlays and bound neck etc?

x

this is one sic bass!! i love the matching headstock.
i feel sure that when these babies were around, they cost plenty. relativly speaking.
thanks for the pics! i'm also sure the Fender Custom Shop would be glad to build one for you. $$$$$$
I like the matchhead stock. I wish all Fenders were like that. But whats up with the 2.6 million screws for the pickguard, seems so unnessecarry.
Yeah, I like matching headstocks on bass too. Not so much for guitar.
Quote by Captain Insano
I like the matchhead stock. I wish all Fenders were like that. But whats up with the 2.6 million screws for the pickguard, seems so unnessecarry.

I think they were trying to make it look sturdier than it really was,
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Yeah, matching headstocks are fun and all, but what you have there is an example of when Fender started to make the worst instruments in their history.

First of all, those block inlays took out an obscene amount of fingerboard wood on Jazzes, and that apparently make the necks less stable and more prone to "humpy warping". I've personally played 2 1976 Jazzes in natural at the same store with cracked wood around the block inlays on every other fret. They both had horrible dead spots in seemingly random places and were totally unplayable. Some people think the reason they're painting the blocks on current Geddy Lee sig basses is to save money, but I bet it's because they don't want to deal with fragility. They figured out how to do block inlays without breaking the fingerboard, but not at that time.

And those 3 bolt neck plates personified everything that's wrong with CBS Fenders. That neck-joint was a joke and you could literally move the neck like the hands of a clock. Some were worse than others, but they were NOT stable necks.

So those are the reasons why they changed them. To me, they might as well have had lit dynamite sticks instead of pickups.

EDIT: the 3-bolt neckplates WERE bad. The mismatched pocket sizes explained the inconsistancy in the amount of shift, but I've not played a CBS Fender that didn't at least creak when I applied a bit of force to the side of the headstock, and I've tried at least a dozen.

Even Fender in their 1975 Jazz reissue make a point of saying that the neck joint is an "improved" 3-bolt neck plate.

EDIT EDIT: I don't think there are any other screw holes - just holes for the thumbrest and pickup covers that weren't there.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Last edited by thefitz at Feb 20, 2008,