Today I got to go to a bunch of different places today and played a bunch of stuff. I figured i'd post a little run through in case anyone was curious on these specific products, and also because I have a couple questions concerning some pieces.

Here goes!

1st Guitar Center:

Jackson Soloist SL2h; It definitely plays worth the price tag. Cleans were nice, Distortion was pretty killer. I thought the guitar a little bit bright with the JB, Alder body and Maple Neckthrough. Still, it sounded great. The Floyd was super smooth, and it was set up nice.

Peavey 6505 combo; I played the 6505+ and liked the sounds, so I figured the combo would sound as good; wrong. It sounded really tinny, even with the lead channel, or the rhythm channel and the crunch engaged. You really had to back off the highs with the guitar I was using (the soloist), and I had to crank it up really high to get uber brutal gain. Alright, but best used if you're going to be playing loud consistantly. It sounded even worse after I tried a Mesa (see below).

ESP LTD DVR-8; The Dave Mustaine Model. It was used, so I though "why not?" Definitely one of the smoothest guitars I've played. Cleans were really articulate, and with gain it just ripped. The active duncans were suprisingly good, although they lacked the pinch harmonics of EMGs. For straight up distortion, I'd say use EMGs. If you're gunna be doing cleans, light crunch, and brutal gain, and need something to handle a lot, the active duncans should definitely be checked out. Anyway, the guitar was great. The neck was fast, yet kinda rounded, so it was comfortable to play chords and rhythm work with. I guess it's a V shaped neck? Either way, the guitar was sooo friggin sweet.

Caparison Dellinger; Played it before, loved every second. Really thick bridge pickup, warm and clear neck pickup, and the middle pickup was actually useful! They marked down the price on it since someone put a ding in the finish. All it needs is a setup, and a volume knob (the knob part got knocked off somehow), and it'd be golden. Hopefully it's still there by June.

Mesa Boogie DC-3 Head and Marshall JCM 800 Cab; Four words describe this setup; oh my f$#*ing god! It sounded amazing! The cleans were great, very rich, harmonics galore, and crank up the gain and you can get some cool Van Halen/Old School Rock crunch. The distortion; eats a rectifier in my mind. Actually, it doesn't EAT a Recto; It complete defamates, shreds and mutililates Rectos. Sure, it's not modern technical death metal distortion, but it can do Strapping Young Lad, Behemoth, Death all the way to Zeppin and Hendrix! And that was only at 2(or 2.5, can't remember). The guy at guitar center helping me took over with a Les Paul (forget the model), cranked the mo fo up to 10, and I swear to god; i've never heard so much low end in my life, and still it remained clear, standing maybe a foot and half away from the amp. I felt like I was getting slapped in the legs when he hit power chords, and the leads sounded sooooo goddamn rich. I knew I needed this setup.

so here's my first question; The prices on the amp was 699, and the cab was 599. 1300 total. Is this a good price for the amp? I've seen DC-5 combos on evilbay go for 700 or so, so I have no idea what the DC-3 Head would be worth. Is this a good price? Either way, I'm seriously considering getting my parents to loan me the money so I can pay them later, allowing me to get the amp.

Anyways, I got some picks and strings (27 ****ing bucks for three packs of strings and two pack of picks, one of which i despise the gauge on [.88's are the only gauge for me]), then left to go to;

Sam Ash:

Yea, for some reason, I wasn't overly fond of the setup of Sam Ash. As I walked in, a guy was arguing about not having a case thrown in for a really expensive guitar (PRS), which kinda led to an akward moment. Anyways, I went their to try some ESPs, but didn't really find to many ones accessible to me (i wanted to try an SC baritone and Eclipse II). Anyways, here it goes;

Marshall JMP-1; Sadly, I couldn't get it working. Had one of the guys working there help me, but still couldn't get it hooked up right. A little pissed, but it led me to try this;

Line 6 Spider Valve 2x12; Horrible. I'll say it again; horrible. Cleans were really sterile, and the distortion was really fuzzy. Sounded like a lame attempt at trying to cram a Fender, a Bogner, and a Marshall all in one. Plus, the shared EQ pissed me off. Went for a scooped metal sound, then had to mess with it to get a decent clean. NOT good for live use at all. The effects were trippy; all 6 of them. >_< There was one nasty preset where it sounded like I had a synth going instead of a guitar, and it didn't react to bends at all. For 830, this piece of crap should at least sound DECENT. Avoid.

Unknown ESP LTD M; I have no idea what was with this guitar, but i was pretty spiffy. Bolt on neck, Solid HARD AND HEAVY body (felt like a block of f#cking maple), H/S setup (both pickups by ESP), Slanted Single coil at the neck, Really nice watery blue finish (could kinda see wood grain underneat), Floyd Rose, 3 way toggle and a single volume. There wasn't a model on it, Just "LTD" and on the truss rod cover it said "by esp." Sadly only got to play it through the spider valve, which was nasty with ANY guitar. However, the few times I found a decent setting, the guitar sounded sweet! I loved the hell outta playing it. Even though it was a bolt on, the upper fret acces was great. For 400, I'd consider getting this guitar;

Second question; Based on the features I listed, does anyone know what model LTD M it is? It looked like an older one, so I wouldn't know.

Guitar Center #2 (final stop);

Because I spent so long at the other places, this was my last stop of the day. Here it goes (btw, I tried all the amps with the same guitar[c-7 hellraiser]);

VHT Pittbull 100 CL Head; Wow. Really nice head. Cleans were good, but they didn't stay clean long. I had to have the gain at one and the volume up high to get a good clean, but it sometime didn't match super well with the lead channel. I tried it with a Schecter c-7 Hellraiser and goddamn ,with a V shaped EQ, I was getting bruises fromt he bass coming out of this thing. Super tight too, which was amazing, and chord retained clarity. If it wasn't for the lack of a true clean channel (have the gain high and it got to be a crunch channel), It would be an amazing amp.

Schecter c-7 Hellraiser; I love the Hellraiser series, they play great, and sound great. Cleans on teh EMG707s were really good too. They also had it for 630, which made me pissed cuz I had no money for it. >_< Just gotta wait till June and hope they have a good sale going on. Highly recommend the guitar regardless of style.

Mesa Boogie Roadster; It wasn't working sadly >_<. But i did technically get to plug into it, so...*sighs at not having really played it*

Mesa Boogie Rectoverb; Somehow this was strictly footswitchable, and they had no footswitch, so I only got to try the gain channel...and it was boring. The same, sadly lame, overused distortion I hear on almost every metal record nowadays. Even changing the gain, output, and EQ, it sounded kinda "meh." Even rolling off the volume knob produced the same amount of gain, amazingly. Not really a responsive, dynamic amp. I was gunna try a Tremoverb, but I figured it be more of the same, just with 100 watts instead of 50.

and finally,

Gibson Les Paul Custom, White Finish; Really amazing guitar. Heavy as hell, weight wise, with tons of definition and TONE. Aside from the fact LP neck joints aren't the great, the neck was soooo smooth and played great. If it weren't for the old strings, it'd be amazing. Soo close to a dream guitar for me (I really want a Silverburst from '79 - '83).

Sadly, that's all I got to try today. As I said earlier, I had two questions on stuff, but figured I'd also post this for some kinda overviews on various pieces of gear for those curious.

Hope it was somewhat enjoyable!
RG_FANMAN
Jeez! Big wall of text!!!!!!!!

I'd say go for the Mesa and the Cab. That seems like a good deal !

EDIT: I can do pinches just fine with my Duncans!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
haha, maybe I should have shortened the paragraphs. and yea, I could do ph's with the duncans, but it took a little more work than it did with the EMGs.
I read it all.

Great reviews. Sometimes, I actually think I get more out of trying gear than I do owning it!

I don't know why, but trying out amps and guitars is a lot of fun.

Sounds like a good day in my book!
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
so does anyone have any opinions on the Mesa/Marshall combo? If it matters, they're in pretty impeccable condition. A little scuffage on the marshall cab, the the Mesa seems to be completely in tact, and I had it going on 10 for a good 5 - 10 minutes, so it seems to be working beautifully. They retubed it about 2 weeks ago when they bought it.

And does anyone know anything about the LTD guitar I described?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
so does anyone have any opinions on the Mesa/Marshall combo? If it matters, they're in pretty impeccable condition. A little scuffage on the marshall cab, the the Mesa seems to be completely in tact, and I had it going on 10 for a good 5 - 10 minutes, so it seems to be working beautifully. They retubed it about 2 weeks ago when they bought it.

And does anyone know anything about the LTD guitar I described?

Honestly. I'd be all over that faster than a dog on bones if I was in the area. I'd totally buy it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
tough part is i don't have money at the moment, and would need to convince my parents about loaning me the money, and/or using the no payement for 12 months plan. is that a reliable plan?
Reliable plan? What is the question? You get the gear, then you pay them over time.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
what I meant was has anyone used it or had any problems with it? aside from having a 25% interest fee on each payment if you don't pay it all off in 12 payments, it seems really sound.
nice spam. no idea about your questions, though, sorry.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by RG_FANMAN
what I meant was has anyone used it or had any problems with it? aside from having a 25% interest fee on each payment if you don't pay it all off in 12 payments, it seems really sound.

It's fine, I've used it with both my guitar and amp. Just don't let it go over 12 months or you are royally ****ed. It's not just 25% per month after that point, they'll go back and hit you for 25% for the first 12 months on the original purchase price (in your case it'd be roughly $3500~), even if you only have $20 left to pay off.

In short, if you know for a fact you'll have the money it's great. If there's even a shadow of a doubt you might not be able to pay in a year stay far, far away.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
^ agreed. you should only take it on if you already have the money, but put it in, say, a high interest secure bank account, so you can pocket the difference when it comes time to pay up.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Les Paul Custom is my dream guitar as well. Too bad I'll probably never be able to afford one...
Taylor 410-CE
Fender Strat Mex Standard
Digitech GNX-3
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by Tayman20
Les Paul Custom is my dream guitar as well. Too bad I'll probably never be able to afford one...

Never say never.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
I bet you had fun today, i will go on a spam review sometime this week
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
i wish my parents would even take me to a guitar store
lucky, u got to spend a WHOLE DAY TOO!!!!!!!!!
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
/\ well, it was more like 5 hours (taking it driving, so i guess 3 1/2)...my dad's "legs were getting tired from standing."

>_<

Only a few more months till i don't need to rely on them for rides.

And to Dave_MC and gald's comments on the plan, I posted a thread awhile ago looking for amps and said I have a job starting in april (goes till june), that would net almost twice the price of the amp and cab, so I'm pretty sure I'm set in that department. ^_^ But seriously, aside from having to pay it in 12 months, do they tack on any "hidden fees" during the 12 months? If not, it seems like a great plan.
Who needs hidden fees when they can slap you with interest for the entire year? Those are fees enough! Just make sure you pay it off!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Nope, nothing else. You just get ****ed hard if you mess up.
Quote by zoomzilla
Who needs hidden fees when they can slap you with interest for the entire year? Those are fees enough! Just make sure you pay it off!

exactly. they're working on the basis that most people who don't have the money now, still won't have the money in 12 months' time.

of course, they might still have hidden fees. you'd need to look into that.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
exactly. they're working on the basis that most people who don't have the money now, still won't have the money in 12 months' time.

of course, they might still have hidden fees. you'd need to look into that.

I've used my card, and the 12-month financing, twice in the last two years and never paid any fees or anything. Like I said, you just get owned real hard fi you mess up.
I am a big fan of the no interest deals. I use no interest financing all the time, but I have the discipline to pay it off on time. If you have no discipline, don't do it.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
yeah, my parents used it with a computer once we bought, no fees. as said, if you're disciplined, it works in your favour. It's much like credit-cards. They're working on the basis that most people aren't disciplined, and in fact those likely to jump at such a zero interest deal are likely to be undisciplined.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
/\

Haha, the benefits of having a Law Class (seriously has to be one of, if not my favorite class in high school). Learned all about how to spot out how they screw you over if you're a slacker with payments. Otherwise, it seems good. This setup seems tooo good to pass up. Thanks guys.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?