Yes. The old Solid State Randall heads as well as the new ones. I like the Marshall Lead 100 Mosfet, the Crate Powerblock, the Roland JC120 too!
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 18, 2008,
Yeah, the high end Line 6 heads are great
Board:
Pitchblack - Fulltone Octafuzz - Hardwire OD - Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina - MXR Micro Chorus - Diamond Memory Lane Jr - EHX SMMH - Neunaber Wet
what's the current randall model... the jazz is the only one i can find actually in stock online, and i really just dont like the lack of versitility in it.

im no metal hound. but those things are serriously built strictly for cleans.
Quote by mp3stalin
http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-RAN-RX120DHS-LIST

im assuming that's randall's anti-MG.

can anyone bring a tear to my eye and tell me it doesnt suck?

(closest local shop with randall's is a good 2 hours...so hearing it myself without someone suggesting me do so isnt a good idea)

It's crap.

Check out the RH150 G3 or any of the G3 series amplifiers.

Any reason why you're going strictly solid state?

Quote by IsThereLoveInSp
Yeah, the high end Line 6 heads are great

It's a bit different, those amps are modelers.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
reason im trying to stay solid state is that i really hate the idea of dealing with the trouble of taking care of a tube amp. they sound better no question. but if i could find something close i'd like to look into it.

im not so much anti-tube as just afraid of change per say :P

i also like having effects within the amp. and tubes cant offer that. (cept that line six valve)
Last edited by mp3stalin at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by mp3stalin
reason im trying to stay solid state is that i really hate dealing with the trouble of taking care of a tube amp. they sound better no question. but if i could find something close i'd like to look into it.

im not so much anti-tube as just afraid of change per say :P

i also like having effects within the amp. and tubes cant offer that. (cept that line six valve)

You know, valve amps aren't as high maintenance as people make them up to be. I've dropped mine a couple of times and it still works. Haven't changed the valves in 2 years, still works.

Valve amps are easier to fix too. Try fixing a transistor circuit board, I dare you!

So what if you don't have a gazillion effects at your disposal? Chances are you'll only use a couple, hell I only use 3.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
LOL! good point. my pedalboard isnt exactly bare. my worry comes from tube replacements tho really.

it doesnt strike me as something you can just do on the fly.
I would consider an amp to be good if it's reliable, and be either one or the combination of the following:
1) clean... very clean. Example being Fender Jazz King and Roland Jazz Chorus
2) Very portable. example would be Crate powerblock. (Note: powerblock heard to be not THAt reliable, but mine's fine)
Quote by mp3stalin
LOL! good point. my pedalboard isnt exactly bare. my worry comes from tube replacements tho really.

it doesnt strike me as something you can just do on the fly.

If the amp is self biasing, it's as simple as pulling the valves out and putting the (same kind of) valves in. Takes 5 minutes if you're really slow.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
For guitar? Not really, unless you've got some fantastic distortion pedals. If you want clean headroom though SS is the best.
Quote by mp3stalin
so is self biasing common nowadays or is it something recent?

It's not a big thing. Most amps don't need to be biased so long as you use the same type of Valves (I.E. EL34 valves in an EL34 amp). Some amps have switchable bias which gives you to opportunity to run different power valves. Fix bias amps only leave you with one choice of power valve though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Old pre-Flexwave Crates aren't too bad, I think really good for metal if they are very high powered (to avoid clipping.) Peavey solid state is the best, especially the Transtubes.
okay thats alot of my confusion on it right there. i was under the impression each time tubes are changed they haveto be biased
Quote by uldhppi
Old pre-Flexwave Crates aren't too bad, I think really good for metal if they are very high powered (to avoid clipping.) Peavey solid state is the best, especially the Transtubes.

The Transtubes are pretty rad. The Supreme XL is pretty radical.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Quote by uldhppi

lol i actually use a peavey transtube rage. for a lil shoebox its not half bad... when i bought it used it looked to be in rough shape but its been over a year and still works fine. its alot of the reason i really dont have a hatred of solid states. i have a friend with a epi valve junior and it is absolutely horrid compared to the peavey to me :S
Quote by mp3stalin
lol i actually use a peavey transtube rage. for a lil shoebox its not half bad... when i bought it used it looked to be in rough shape but its been over a year and still works fine. its alot of the reason i really dont have a hatred of solid states. i have a friend with a epi valve junior and it is absolutely horrid compared to the peavey to me :S

Probably 'cause the Valve Junior combo has pretty crappy speakers. You'll be sold if you heard it through a 4x12.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
so what's the most recommended tube amp for general purposes? Peavey Valveking?
Quote by mp3stalin
so what's the most recommended tube amp for general purposes? Peavey Valveking?

I'd say a Carvin V3. It's a bit pricier though.

If you don't do heavy metal very much, I'd recommend something like a Peavey Classic 30 or a Traynor YCV40 amplifier.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
well, Dimebag used solid state randall head for recording a couple albums, so i guess its gotta be somewhat decent
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
Quote by zanz1bar
well, Dimebag used solid state randall head for recording a couple albums, so i guess its gotta be somewhat decent

He didn't use that exact head though! Those older Randall heads are different beasts. Especially compared to the cheap ones. The G3 series amps are closer to the RG100ES than the RX120EFX is.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hatebreeder.... your sig is, in fact, epic.

It's also really, really irritating when you see in 5 times in the same thread.

I'm not saying get rid of it or anything- it is your sig- but bear the above in mind.

On topic, I've heard lots of good things about the Peavey XXL.
Member of the EHX Guild

Yamaha SG500B
Danelectro Fish 'n' Chips EQ
EHX Russian Big Muff
Roland Cube 30
Jake will suffice.

Join the revolution, GG&A.
Quote by carniferous
Hatebreeder.... your sig is, in fact, epic.

It's also really, really irritating when you see in 5 times in the same thread.

I'm not saying get rid of it or anything- it is your sig- but bear the above in mind.

On topic, I've heard lots of good things about the Peavey XXL.

Another little solid state jem would be the Smokey amps, I don't know if they count though.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
im surprised no one has brought up the labseries L5. some players of this amp include Allan holdsworth on his first few albums,and BB king (i think). they are disconinued but i know a guy who picke done up for like 300$ on ebay. easily one of the best amps for 300$. it has good distorted and clean tones. probably the only solid state i would use besides a roland jazz chorus.

EDIT: not sure if this comes in a head version. sorry
Last edited by mrchow at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
He didn't use that exact head though! Those older Randall heads are different beasts. Especially compared to the cheap ones. The G3 series amps are closer to the RG100ES than the RX120EFX is.

True indeed. And the old school RG's are some amazing amp heads!!
Line 6 Flextone II.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio