why is the Gibson Les Paul Vintage Mahogany cheaper than the studio or classic? Is there a large quality gap?
idk. my friend as a vintage mahogany, and it rules. i've played a studio, and i didn't notice anything different. but that's just me
Epiphone G-400
Yamaha Pacifica (Mod on hold due to procrastination)
Rocktron Banshee
Marshall 10CD

Quote by geetarguy13

I've never smoked before but it looks like fun.
i think what happend there is that people stoped buying gibson cause there alot so they just took some standards and put differnt names on them and made then cheaper tolook of less quailty so people would buy those but also but the more expensive cause they think there better quaitly
that sounds plausible because i looked up the cost of the humbuckers and the ones in the mahogany were more expensive than in the studio ones. the differences i see are different tuners, and different bridge types.
Studios are for studio guitarists, designed entirely for output and playability.
Standards are for live guitarists, they are partially for output and playability, but also they are designed for durability and looks more than the studio.
mahoganies don't have a maple top. by making it out of 1 piece of wood, they cost that mcuh less (the price of the top).

Therefore, a mahogany is a les paul, minus the maple top.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
I suspect that Vintage Mahogany is a great guitar. The biggest difference is a carved mahogany top as opposed to the traditional Gibson carved maple. Probably results in a slightly warmer tone. Also the Burstbucker line of pickups is not wax-potted so you may want to check for feedback problems. The three types of Burstbuckers were made to emulate the incidental variation among PAF's that sometimes had different numbers of windings on each pole-piece. Frankly I like the 490's better, but that is a matter of taste and style. Also you know the neck is the famous baseball bat neck, so you need to be happy with a thick neck. The thickness does add significant sustain, and lots of players can shred on them no problem, but try before buy.