I'm teaching a kid how to play guitar, and his parents want to surprise him with a distortion pedal for his birthday. He wants to find a sort of 70's sort of sound, not overly distorted, and kind of "creamy." Seeing as how I don't play that sort of music myself, I'm a bit stumped.

Any suggestions? He's looking to sound like Tom Scholz, Jimmy Page, or David Gilmour. Obviously, no one pedal is going to do the trick, but I want to find him one that will cover most of the bases fairly well.

Thanks in advance, ya'll.
Get a fuzz pedal or something. Try a Big Muff or its contemporaries.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
y dont they just buy him a multi effect pedal there great if you dont gig with them.
If he's going for Gilmour, a Little Big Muff would do him good.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
i think it's overdrive he's looking for fuzz is gonna be just a little too much. try od3 by boss sounds more classic to me. but could just be the fuzz pedals that i have tried
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Quote by joshjebl
i think it's overdrive he's looking for fuzz is gonna be just a little too much. try od3 by boss sounds more classic to me. but could just be the fuzz pedals that i have tried

You can turn down the fuzz!

I'd be perfect for '70's tones and what not.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Ibanez TS or Big Muff by EHX
"F*ck off with your sofa units and strine green stripe patterns, I say never be complete, I say stop being perfect, I say let... lets evolve, let the chips fall where they may." -

Tyler Durden
What kind of amp does he have? An overdrive pedal is useless with a solid-state.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by kosmic
What kind of amp does he have? An overdrive pedal is useless with a solid-state.

How is it useless? They're meant to replicate overdriven valve tones anyways. There's just an added benefit when you use them with valve amps.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
big muff... even if it the kid has an ss amp, its sounds good.(that is to say that the pedal colors tone a lot...)
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
How is it useless? They're meant to replicate overdriven valve tones anyways. There's just an added benefit when you use them with valve amps.

Not really. Usually, OD pedals sound like crap through the clean channel of any amp. You're supposed to use them with the OD channel of a tube amp to push the tubes harder to break up, thus achieving your "overdriven valve tones."
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
Quote by kosmic
Not really. Usually, OD pedals sound like crap through the clean channel of any amp. You're supposed to use them with the OD channel of a tube amp to push the tubes harder to break up, thus achieving your "overdriven valve tones."

There isn't a set way that you're supposed to use an overdrive pedal. It's not like there's a rule saying that an OD pedal is only made for valve amps anyways. I borrowed a Fulltone OCD and it sounded great on the clean channel of my transistor amp. The pedals can be used to boost valve amps, but people use also them to obtain that pushed valve amp tones at lower volumes.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster