I've got an Art & Lutherie burgundy acoustic that I'm going to be trading in for some cash to help me pick up a new acoustic.

I do a lot of covers and play more songs with strumming (hard and soft) and little picking. I absolutely love my friend's gibson J-185..the feel of it is great and it's so much easier to get my fingering down for songs I normally can't play.

I've heard good things about Takamine guitars, specifically the EG523SC. At first I was recommended a Taylor, but theyre a bit over my price range for a good one and I also heard that they are better off to be used for finger picking and not hard strumming. This guitar (EG523SC) seems run around the $700 dollar range, which is right around where I'm looking.

For an example of the type of songs I play, listen to this http://youtube.com/watch?v=dwVRYdzxz8c

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Quote by JgVasa
I've got an Art & Lutherie burgundy acoustic that I'm going to be trading in for some cash to help me pick up a new acoustic.

I do a lot of covers and play more songs with strumming (hard and soft) and little picking. I absolutely love my friend's gibson J-185..the feel of it is great and it's so much easier to get my fingering down for songs I normally can't play.

I've heard good things about Takamine guitars, specifically the EG523SC. At first I was recommended a Taylor, but theyre a bit over my price range for a good one and I also heard that they are better off to be used for finger picking and not hard strumming. This guitar (EG523SC) seems run around the $700 dollar range, which is right around where I'm looking.

For an example of the type of songs I play, listen to this http://youtube.com/watch?v=dwVRYdzxz8c

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

The takamine eg523sc is a beautiful guitar mate, got mine about 6 - 7 weeks ago and aint looked back .

Great sound unplugged, but with takamine amps, it shines when its plugged in.

I use it for gigging and get compliments on it.

*EDIT* I am also more of a strummer and do very little picking.

Let us know what you decide.
that's definitely a great guitar plugged in or unplugged. it's got a really sparkly, shimmery tone.
Excellent, thanks for the feedback guys.

I plan on going to a local shop later on today and checking out the one takamine they have just to get a feel for how they're made (it's an EG 334BC..hopefully they're similar in feel to a 523SC?)

I've heard a lot of people mentioning the action on that takamine, and that it's a bit high and can make it hard to play on. What's your experience on this?

I've seen good compliments on the Takamine EAN16C guitars
http://www.takamine.com/index.cfm?fa=detail&mid=114&sid=65

It's about $300 more. Would this be worth it?
My friend has a 523SC and i think its a pretty good guitar. It sounds better plugged in than unplugged though so to me it would depend if you were going to play plugged in or not.
I have a takamine EAN10C that I picked up for a mere $800 w/ a great case on craigslist. It was professionally set up to have a lowered action, and it's amazing. However I am not a great musician by any means, I am still learning, but I love the takamine.