I like versatility and narrowed it down to these three amps. First a question. Is the Road King worth the extra money just for the progressive linkage?

Money =< $2000
Genre = Everything, preferably better distortion than cleans if it comes to that.

EDIT: I should probably also add that I play more shred/lead than rhythm.

Prices (The real breaking point):

Mesa Mark IV: ~$1000
Mesa Roadster: ? (Feel free to inform me of these prices)
Mesa Road King: ~$2000

I really like the Mark IV and have never played a Roadster or Road King but I really like John Pettruci's tone of Suspended Animation where I think he used a Road King?

So any suggestions of other amps or anything else like that?
Last edited by Geartrigger at Feb 18, 2008,
Roadking isn't really worth it IMO and most others opinions.

Roadsters typically run $1800 as far as I know.

Personally, for the specs. you listed, I'd take the Roadster (biased maybe since I have one). Great, heavy distortion all the way to almost Fender-like cleans and everything in between.
I'm sure a Mark IV would be awesome, but I think I'd go for the Road King II personally. I've actually been researching them a lot myself (right now I'm torn between an ENGL Invader and a Road King II for my next purchase). From what I've read, it sounds like the Mark IV can be a little bit more finicky compared to the Road King, but honestly both sound awesome to me.

As for a Road King vs Roadster, that I don't know, but since the Road King is within my budget I'm planning to just go all out and get the best. I'll probably keep this amp for a VERY long time like all my previous equipment, so I have no reason to cheap out. You should consider that yourself. If you plan to use this amp all the time for a very long time, why limit yourself? Get the best you can afford.
My Gear:
'05 ESP LTD EC-400
'67 Gibson ES-120T (Original)
'05 Vox AD30VT
'65 Fender Deluxe Reverb Black Face (Original)
Out of the list. The Mark IV. It's a bit of a tweaker though.

I'd say get an ENGL though.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
if the mark iv's anything like the DC-3 i nearly fainted at, the Mark IV. Of course, I dont' do modern brutal, tune down to F# standard technical grindcore, but it does almost everything else. The Mark IV's suppose to have even more features and sounds than the DC, so I'd say go for the Mark.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Out of the list. The Mark IV. It's a bit of a tweaker though.

I'd say get an ENGL though.

What Engl model or was that sarcastic or a typo?
Quote by Geartrigger
What Engl model or was that sarcastic or a typo?

Check out the Powerball. It's got a great clean channel and the drive channel is pretty much unrivaled.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Roadster
Quote by envoykrawkwar7

edge11
that was an epic win
best thing ive read all day

[feel free to sig this statement]

Gear:
Esp Ltd Ninja 600
Esp Ltd F-50
les paul elite
5watt jcm800 clone
Roland jc-55
Crate V33
Jca20H
Ibanez tubescreamer ts9
Keeley ds-1
Quote by Dalroth
I'm sure a Mark IV would be awesome, but I think I'd go for the Road King II personally. I've actually been researching them a lot myself (right now I'm torn between an ENGL Invader and a Road King II for my next purchase). From what I've read, it sounds like the Mark IV can be a little bit more finicky compared to the Road King, but honestly both sound awesome to me.

As for a Road King vs Roadster, that I don't know, but since the Road King is within my budget I'm planning to just go all out and get the best. I'll probably keep this amp for a VERY long time like all my previous equipment, so I have no reason to cheap out. You should consider that yourself. If you plan to use this amp all the time for a very long time, why limit yourself? Get the best you can afford.

My kind sir, the Road King II will rip your balls off. And is so versatile I can't even begin to explain how much it can do. I was jamming the other day with some friends, and I went from Soft Classics, to Country Twang, to Brit Rock, to Br00tal Metal. It can do it all.
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
As an owner of both the roadking and Mark IV, and have played a roadster...

They all have their advantages really.

Mark IV vs. Roadking:
They both have their own distinct tone, both can run both EL34's and 6L6's, but with the roadking you can assign them per channel. The Mark sounds better at lower levels and has better cleans. The roadking has 4 channels, the mark has 3 + GEQ. Channel 3 on vintage on the roadking has excellent leads that aren't oversaturated. I feel the reason everyone things the Mark has beautiful leads is because of how much gain it has, I usually cut it back quite a bit for 2 reasons, 1. Keep me from becoming sloppy 2. less static hiss hum feedback more natural tone. As far as metal rhythms, the roadking has this one distortion tone which is so raw, unbelievably beautiful. The Mark has this one gain which is really really cutting, has a snarly midrange, just as beautiful. The mark can imitate the roadking for the most part, but the roadking can't really imitate the mark. The roadking is also $600 more than a mark.

It's a toss up of which of those I prefer.

Roadking vs. Roadster:
To be honest, the roadking is better in every way except for pricing, and to be even more honest, the roadking isn't worth the extra money except...... when you buy used, the roadster isn't that old of an amp, and the used prices on it kinda suck. The roadking on the other hand has been around 6 or 7 years now, you can get them for $200 more (used!) than most roadsters, which IMO is worth it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
the roadster is the same amp as the road king.. minus the progressive linkage. which a lot of people don't need. the road king has a world of a difference of a better clean tone than the mark iv.. its much more versatile.. its easily the most versatile amp on the planet. tight crunch or killer sustain lead. the clean channel is mesa's best. the lone star. it's a beautiful thing. they are very hard to get EQ perfect though.. that goes for both. to my ears, the gain channels are different from a roadster to a regular rectifier. it's almost as an old 2 channel. but thats just in my opinion.

the mark iv on the other hand has much smoother leads, and a killer crunch. but the road king can almost imitate with a tube screamer and extra EQing.

^^ the road king I can be 200 more than a roadster.. but certainly not II. difference being II has the lonestar clean [what the roadster has] which makes a world of a difference.
Last edited by Scenes at Feb 19, 2008,
"On Liquid Tension, a used a Mesa Boogie Triaxis and a 2:90 Power Amp. On Liquid Tension 2, I used a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, On Suspended Animation I used both a Mesa Boogie Mark II and a Road King."
-JP"

sry for the mistake
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

Last edited by Toast1337 at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by Toast1337
JP used an mark IV on his solo album (he said that in the musicman forum)

are you sure about that? im pretty sure he used the RK for the solo album and octavarium... but a mark iv for everything else..
Quote by Scenes
are you sure about that? im pretty sure he used the RK for the solo album and octavarium... but a mark iv for everything else..

On Liquid Tension, a used a Mesa Boogie Triaxis and a 2:90 Power Amp. On Liquid Tension 2, I used a Mesa Boogie Mark IV, On Suspended Animation I used both a Mesa Boogie Mark II and a Road King."
-JP

it was an mark II not an mark IV and an road king

i corrected it
Quote by frankv
Tokio Hotel is probably the worst thing Germany has produced since WW2.

This...
Quote by MESAexplorer
...The mark can imitate the roadking for the most part, but the roadking can't really imitate the mark...
...is all you need to know.

There are fewer channels, but if you find yourself wanting with a Mark IV, something is wrong with it.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
So I guess it's between the Mark IV or Road King II (That one's better right?)

I will probably go with the Mark IV because I don't know if it's worth the extra $900 - $1000 to get a Road King if the Mark IV can imitate it that well.
I've used the IV combo and I must say that it is a marvelous amp.
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by Scenes
the roadster is the same amp as the road king.. minus the progressive linkage. which a lot of people don't need. the road king has a world of a difference of a better clean tone than the mark iv.. its much more versatile.. its easily the most versatile amp on the planet. tight crunch or killer sustain lead. the clean channel is mesa's best. the lone star. it's a beautiful thing. they are very hard to get EQ perfect though.. that goes for both. to my ears, the gain channels are different from a roadster to a regular rectifier. it's almost as an old 2 channel. but thats just in my opinion.

the mark iv on the other hand has much smoother leads, and a killer crunch. but the road king can almost imitate with a tube screamer and extra EQing.

^^ the road king I can be 200 more than a roadster.. but certainly not II. difference being II has the lonestar clean [what the roadster has] which makes a world of a difference.

You've been reading other people's reviews way too much man. Not to mention your statements don't really make any sense anyway.

The progressive linkage is pretty cool. You have to use the amp for a while to really notice how big of a difference the different tube settings offer. There is a huge difference in thickness when the EL-34s are engaged, it gets really round.

IMO, the roadking's leads walk all over the Mark IV. The Mark IV has too much saturation and it's kinda fuzzy with the gain. The Roadking's lead channel is pretty clean, very smooth, al la heavy driven marshall or peavey, but without the excessive saturation.

The Roadking modern channel and the Mark IV's lead channel...2 different animals. It is easier to make the mark replicated the Roadking, but this is probably more to do with tonal preferance. When you go to an amp, you have this one tone in your head, you dial it in as close as you can no matter what amp it is. The cleans on both amps are very similar, I'd say the roadking 1 has a better clean tone for one, and 2 you have two clean channels which can be set up a ton of variation (Clean, fat tweed and Clean, fat, brit)

The pros to the mark:
Cuts through the mix well
Graphic EQ, gives you anywhere from Megadeth to Meshuggah, Petrucci to Pantera all with a few sliders being moved
Very good amp for quiet playing
Sexy midrange

Pros to Roadking:
4 channels
3 options per channel
6 tube options per channel
optional outs to specific cabinets
control of loops which can be assigned per channel
has this one tone on modern that no amp on the market can replicate (makes me skeet everywhere)

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
So I'll just have to pray that the next time I go to Guitar Center they got another Road King in and still haven't sold that Mark IV.

Also, if anyone knows of any good clips online of the Mark IV/Road King it would be great if you could share those.
there was a used mark IV up in the new brunswick GC last time i went a couple weeks ago. but it's been sitting there for a while, so i dunno if it'd still be there. i doubt they'd have a roadking there though.

youtube has a couple decent clips of both as well.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by Say Ocean
For leads, mark III or mark IV

I gotta disagree with you on that one.

I just find the leads on the Mark IV too saturated, not enough tone. The Roadking seems to give you a really clear lead tone.

Everyone has different opinions though.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
The Road King is awesome. I would totally write a review about the amp, because I own the series 2. But, I am too lazy to do it. But, you really don't need a review, just go play it. That is the review...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
Quote by FLCLcowdude
The Road King is awesome. I would totally write a review about the amp, because I own the series 2. But, I am too lazy to do it. But, you really don't need a review, just go play it. That is the review...

If you run a search on the word roadking there should be a large collection of threads where I have basically summed up every aspect of the amp as well.

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by MESAexplorer
If you run a search on the word roadking there should be a large collection of threads where I have basically summed up every aspect of the amp as well.

That is why you are much more productive than me. I am lazy...
Quote by thrilla13w

Quote by Slaytanic1993