Page 1 of 17
EDIT: FUTURE ADDICT SUCKS

I didn't see a thread dedicated to Marty...so I'm starting one in conjunction with new details about his new solo album! A lot of other shredders have one, and Marty definitely deserves it, I think.
FUTURE ADDICT!

Marty`s eighth solo album “Future Addict” is done and comes out on March 12 on Avex in Japan. This album features reworked, reconstructed, completely remade versions of some of the coolest songs from Marty`s entire career. Everything from his first band, Deuce, to his current Japanese stuff, it is all in there and all of it is on steroids.

There are also 3 new songs including the first single, “Simple Mystery”. Vocals on the entire album are handled by none other than Marty`s longtime drummer, Jeremy Colson, making his worldwide vocal debut! This album is an amazing introduction to Marty`s illustrious career, as well as the beginning of an exciting new era of his music. US and Euro releases to follow, more info on that to come.

Watch the first video, “Simple Mystery”, here:

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=cVAPBZIql3o

March 12! CANNOT WAIT!!!
The good news is the new album's out in less than a month!
The bad news is, I don't like Simple Mystery, and if the rest of the album is in this fashion, it's going to get even less play from me than Music For Speeding Of course, the album will be a lot more eclectic, since it spans his entire career.

Other notes about his album...

-Jeremy Colson on Vox! HAH didn't see that one coming.
-Jeff Loomis has contributed a solo to one of the songs...it's probably kick ass!

Discuss his new album "Future Addict" (cool name I must add), and anything and everything Marty!
Last edited by ZylitoL at Aug 27, 2008,
Awesome, I'll be in Japan on March 15th... I'll have to pick this up.

Ahh you're so lucky! I'm gonna have to wait for a US release...:/

http://jp.youtube.com/watch?v=LH4MSPHuB-k&feature=related
Marty playing with Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, Herman Li (and his little ring toy) and one other guy @ NAMM 08. Marty plays a short solo in the very beginning and it's somewhat hard to hear. Maybe he'll do a G3 with Satch sometime in the future...

http://www.avexnet.or.jp/marty/report/img/53.jpg
ALBUM COVER for Future Addict. MS Paint concept I guess...I'll wait for the music before judging but the cover isn't my cup of tea.
I just got his solo album music for speeding love the album
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Music For Speeding? It's easily my least favorite album. I love Salt in the Wound, Novocaine Kiss and Gimme a Dose (to an extent)...but everytime my player plays Cheergirl Rampage, I'm compelled to switch to a new album. I cannot stand that song.

Loudspeaker is amazing...every track is a gem in its own right. A little less poppier would be perfect but can't have everything. Devil Take Tomorrow is my 2nd favorite Marty song.
True Obsessions is also great, aside from a couple of vocal tracks. Rio is my favorite Marty song...such beautiful music.
Scenes and Introduction are great. Not rock, but his eastern melodies come to life there. I love tracks Luna and Valley of Eternity.
Dragons Kiss...amazing. (insert generic comment about exotic scales, ass kicking shred etc) Enough has been said about this I think.

Dammit I want a track listing for Future Addict so I can listen to those ones on repeat in anticipation! I can't ****ing wait!!
Last edited by ZylitoL at Feb 20, 2008,
wow i thought music for speeding was good but hearing ur commets about his other albums im compelled to ge them. i am a big fan of the wrok he did with cacophony and megadeth, espcailly most of his solos off of youthnasia and RIP. marty is just awesome in ever aspect of guitar and kicks soo much ass!!
Quote by seymour_jackson
wow i thought music for speeding was good but hearing ur commets about his other albums im compelled to ge them. i am a big fan of the wrok he did with cacophony and megadeth, espcailly most of his solos off of youthnasia and RIP. marty is just awesome in ever aspect of guitar and kicks soo much ass!!

If you like his Cacophony stuff, then Dragon's Kiss is a must.

If you could stand the poppier element of Music For Speeding, then get Loudspeaker. It's less synth-driven, heavier, and is filled with soulful leads and great riffs.

True Obsessions is good as well! Worth your money just for the tracks "Rio" and "Intoxicated." Has 4 vocal songs (the Japanese version, that is), and the rest are instrumental. The instrumental songs have very different styles, every song explores a different area of his playing.

I'd suggest...

1. Dragon's Kiss
2. Loudspeaker
3. True Obsessions

I'd leave Scenes and Introduction till later, since they are not your traditional rock albums. Check them out when and if you get a chance.
Track listing for Future Addict out.

01. Barbie (Friedman)
02. Simple Mystery (Friedman, Colson)
03. Tornado Of Souls - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Ellefson)
04. Burn The Ground - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
05. Where My Fortune Lies - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
06. Breadline - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Prager, Friedman)
07. The Pit And The Pendulum- HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
08. The Killing Road - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson, Menza)
09.Static Rain-MartyFriedman(Friedman,Colson)
10. Secret Of The Stars - HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
11. Massive - DEUCE (Gattis, Friedman, Colson)
12. Tears Of An Angel (Friedman)

ToS alone for me should merit the album!

I guess Colson does most, if not all vocal duties, and drums too (Static Rain is instrumental, so assuming Colson's on drums on taht)
Last edited by ZylitoL at Feb 24, 2008,
I can't believe Marty hasn't done a G3 yet, someone should happy slap Satch's shiny head for that
PiT LURK3R

Quote by _Mayday_
Fellow Transformers, it has come to my attention that we have the mighty Megatron in our midst!

Ninja of the Ninja Club
*GASP*

****ing awesome! i really can't wait for this album to come out.

if Marty could do a G3 tour with Paul Gilbert and Satriani i'd be extremely happy.
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7b2LBseQSk
after seeing this video, i actually cant wait to hear the new recording of tornado of souls

dragon's kiss and loudspeaker are my favourite albums, and i'm looking forward to this!

any idea if he will do the vocal lines on guitar (like john 5s cover of welcome to the jungle), or get someone to do vocals?
Top lel.
Quote by the memory
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7b2LBseQSk
after seeing this video, i actually cant wait to hear the new recording of tornado of souls

dragon's kiss and loudspeaker are my favourite albums, and i'm looking forward to this!

any idea if he will do the vocal lines on guitar (like john 5s cover of welcome to the jungle), or get someone to do vocals?

Not sure if he'll do vocal lines on guitar, but it might be sweet to have that.

Only 5 days away from March 12th. Can't wait.
wtf is this?

marty is well known for his improvising and composing skills. why doesn't he give us a flashy new album instead of this. megadeth re-releases has already put me off. and i don't know how they can fit jason into the cacophony stuff, it'll probably end up as a bit of studio tweaking.

pfft @ static rain, he just released that on his last album. and it wasn't that groundbreaking to say the least. his few new pieces might be interesting i guess, but meh, disappointing.

dragon's kiss was my least favourite album. oh yay, more mettulz. i want true obsessions/scenes style marty

and if he nabs j5's idea of putting the vocals onto lead guitar i'll be angry

oh well, i think the cacophony stuff might be better than the original since i hated their singer.

i think we all know marty can do better than some marketing scheme.

/rantrantrantprovokeflaming.
It's out today!

My friend is travelling to Japan in a week and I'm gonna try to get him to buy me Future Addict. Can't wait!

Anyone got links/previews to any other songs on FA?
Quote by Abbott
I'm such a classic Cacophony/MartyDeth fan...I just heard snippets of the new album...and he just single handled ruined some of my favorite songs...

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCD-23546

Vox...Wow...:/...Whhhhyyy *cry*

AWW WHAT THE **** MARTY.

Don't have time to listen to all songs but from what I've heard.

Barbie - Sounds like a B-cut from a typical Friedman album. The snippet didn't tell much though and hopefully it's a decent song.

Simple Mystery - Pop song of the music video.

Tornado of Souls - Fail. Fail. The tight rhythm that first drew me deep into Megadeth is gone in exchange for some half assed chords. Colson's vocals are not very good to begin with, and to make matters worse, he sings like Simple Plan on this one (and all the other songs for that matter). I'm still in denial over this.

Static Rain - Instead of vocals -> guitar lines, he did guitar lines -> vocals. Colson sings the melody on this one and since this song is my least favorite out of the ones in Loudspeaker, I don't see myself growing attached to this new version either.

Tears of an Angel - Beautiful melody and ambience, but on violin. Would've loved it on guitar in a similar fashion to Devil Take Tomorrow.

Very disappointed, but will give it another shot later today...Sheehan is on bass for a couple of tracks if anything, and Loomis has a solo in a song.
Last edited by ZylitoL at Mar 13, 2008,
I just listened to some of the samples and I am disappointed. I got used to beautiful melodies and licks from Marty, and my expectations were high. I don't like the version of Tornado of Souls, and pretty much the same with everything else. Maybe after the album gets released in the US I will listen to the full songs and change my mind but the chances are slim. Too bad ...
Quote by ZylitoL
Track listing for Future Addict out.

01. Barbie (Friedman)
02. Simple Mystery (Friedman, Colson)
03. Tornado Of Souls - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Ellefson)
04. Burn The Ground - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
05. Where My Fortune Lies - CACOPHONY (Friedman, Becker, Colson)
06. Breadline - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Prager, Friedman)
07. The Pit And The Pendulum- HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
08. The Killing Road - MEGADETH (Mustaine, Friedman, Ellefson, Menza)
09.Static Rain-MartyFriedman(Friedman,Colson)
10. Secret Of The Stars - HAWAII (Friedman, Colson)
11. Massive - DEUCE (Gattis, Friedman, Colson)
12. Tears Of An Angel (Friedman)

ToS alone for me should merit the album!

I guess Colson does most, if not all vocal duties, and drums too (Static Rain is instrumental, so assuming Colson's on drums on taht)

TOS is on there? Done deal im buying it
Quote by powerhead
Mentallica, i think you just made my drive shank crank

Quote by beadhangingOne

You sir, are a true hero.

Quote by silversoulcage
Dude, seriously, you're an ass hole. That place where **** comes out, yea that's you man.
Quote by metallhead
I just listened to some of the samples and I am disappointed. I got used to beautiful melodies and licks from Marty, and my expectations were high. I don't like the version of Tornado of Souls, and pretty much the same with everything else. Maybe after the album gets released in the US I will listen to the full songs and change my mind but the chances are slim. Too bad ...

Yeah, same here.

Mentallica, check out the snippets of the new album here...ToS is track #3, and it's pussified.

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/detailview.html?KEY=AVCD-23546

When Marty said the songs are "on steroids," did he mean watered down versions of old classics with crap vocals?
i honestly think the singer sucks ass and ruins the songs.

that and the riffs for TOS didn't seem heavy enough

oh well, not every album's a winner
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

tornado of souls.....
dear god. martys solo is f***in awesome, but the rest of it is kinda weird.

i didnt like most of the album when i first heard it, but its growing on me
Top lel.
Quote by the memory

That's what I am also hoping and why I am looking forward to listen to the whole songs/album. All I heard was some samples which sucked IMO.
Tornado of Souls is HORRID! Worst vocals I've heard in a long time..

Haven't had a chance to listen to the whole album yet, but I dont really like what I have heard so far.

edit: Just listened to Killing Road and, like Tornado of Souls, the vocals make it completely unbearable to listen to.
Last edited by SuburbanCowboy at Mar 18, 2008,
Quote by the memory
tornado of souls.....
dear god. martys solo is f***in awesome, but the rest of it is kinda weird.

link to solo?
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
Terrible renditions, but easier for the public to swallow.

Marty always said he likes punk/pop punk flavor in songs...definitely showing here (since MFS, actually), me thinks.

Colson is a good drummer. Stick to the kit, Jeremy!

EDIT: Listened to three songs in full so far.

Barbie: What the hell? Have a listen for yourself, and tell me how this contributes to the album in anyway. I thought it was going to be a slick song! EXTREMELY disappointed.

Tornado of Souls: This is rather interesting. Pretty much replaced the tight riffs and the fast paced rhythm work of the Megadeth classic with watered down chords. Colson sings horribly on this one as well. Very lifeless in many parts, and strained when he tries too hard. The solo is not as good as the original, but still rocking.

Tears of an Angel -> Beautiful melodic instrumental reminescent of Devil Take Tomorrow, but a lot sadder. Marty can still do it! Best song on the album, mainly because of the lack of vocals.
Last edited by ZylitoL at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by The Virtuoso
link to solo?

i dont have the link, i was able to download the album
its probably on youtube somewhere though!
Top lel.
I just finished downloading the album, but I'm not done listening to it; currently listening to Simple Mystery, but I listened to ToS beforehand.
I can't say that I hate the album. Judging from what I've heard so far, it isn't bad. ToS is VERY different. It's basically an entirely different song with the same lyrics. I like it, but I think that you can't compare it to the original, since the song is almost nowhere near identical in terms of riffage. The solo still kicks ass though, so I can't complain.

As for the singer, he's tolerable at best. Definitely not an amazing singer, but I find that he fits in the vibe that Marty as trying to accomplish, if that makes any sense.
Last edited by 1010011010 at Mar 19, 2008,
Quote by metallhead

That was actually kind of cool. I still like the original better though.
Quote by Senor Kristian
Viking fact no. 1: Viking helmets did not have horn.
Viking fact no. 2: Vikings tobogganed on their shields into battle.
Viking fact no. 3: Vikings drank mead.
Viking fact no. 4: One of your ancestors are likely to have been raped by a viking.
i think friedman should get another lead guitarist to re-form cacophony. no guitarist will match becker, but eh, it should be interesting. the cd sounds good btw
I like the new album....i mean, its nothing compared to any of his previous efforts but it has a certain poppy-ness?? ....its got that certain feel good thing about it ...i mean you can really sense that Marty was having a good time playing these songs ("on steroids" reference??)
and Tears of an Angel is pretty amazing.

also Music For Speeding is F**in great (his most diverse yet most rokin album)! Cheer Girl Rampage RULZ!!! Those Rockin bends!! ummm... amaZing!
Quote by buckethead_jr
Ahhh, the vocals >.<

indeed!

generally, he fits in to martys own songs, but just not tornado of souls.
Top lel.
Quote by 1010011010
As for the singer, he's tolerable at best. Definitely not an amazing singer, but I find that he fits in the vibe that Marty as trying to accomplish, if that makes any sense.

+1.
Though, the "vibe" in question is not my cup of tea.
Quote by ordinary_story
also Music For Speeding is F**in great (his most diverse yet most rokin album)! Cheer Girl Rampage RULZ!!! Those Rockin bends!! ummm... amaZing!

Really, you think so? It's easily the worst Marty album...for me anyways. Though Future Addict looks like it's getting that title now. The slower, melodic songs on MFS are kick ass though.

I think I deleted Cheergirl Rampage from my song library actually....I can't stand that song.
Quote by DaFjory
Marty really is kinda hit-and-miss, huh?

Unfortunately, yes.
Personally, I wish he'd stop doing so much Japanese media stuff...he's a damn fine musician, not a 2nd rate celeb (for a foreigner in a homogeneous society like Japan, he's huge).

What are your thoughts on the new version of Static Rain? It was never a standout song in Loudspeaker for me, and the vocals + lyrics are killing it. Yiikes.
Quote by metallhead

the solo is still awesome and gives me chills, but the vocals kill the rest of the song
Quote by Scutchington

A Brain Malfunction

To ZylitoL-

^^ dude, blast Music For Speeding in your car, or anywhere for that matter.... Play it LOUD!! you'll feel the awesomeness! Marty can just about play anything and he does it with trademark emotion as well !! he's a genius !! FEEL IT!!

Cheer Girl Rampage is just cool Pop! I always get in a good mood after hearing that song. It makes me feel happy ...or maybe you just can't stand pop!