Hello i recently bought a used 5150 II. Im having a little trouble with noise. A friend informed me that im using Sovtek 6L6 and electro harmonix 12ax7. I have no idea how old they are. I dont mind the hum. I expect that And My EQ right now for Lead is
Lead Pre: 8
EQ Low: 5
EQ Mid: 5
EQ High: 3.5
Lead Post: (w/e i want volume at)
Resonance: 6
Presence: 10

Im using a Viper 400 with 81 and 85 EMG s. Also a BOSS N2- Noise Suppressor.

I dont mind the hum. I expect that but when i turn the post up even to 3 When the volume on the guitar is all the way up the Amp or guitar? will SQUEAL terribly. The N2 helps because even if i had the volume on teh guitar all the way down it would squeal if i didnt have it.

I just want to have the guitars volume up and it to be quiet!
What can fix this? New tubes? or a better Noise gate/suppresor?
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Mesa Boogie Oversized Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
The 5150 is a noisy amp, thats for sure. Those are some weird EQ settings, btw. The only way I could tame mine to play passed 3 was with a noise gate.

Anyhow, fresh tubes will help like 90% of the time with hum(helped mine!), but after that you'd be looking at a new noise gate. Maybe there's something weird with your NS-2?
turn the gain down as you go up in volume, you don't need the gain, also 10 presence is like icepick in the ear
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
What noise gates would you suggest and what would you suggest for pres at 3 post? and ect
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
i dont think its the tubes i had a solid state doing that last week and it just stopped working 2 days ago. any time i put the volume above 4 it would start screaming at me. now it wont make a sound. the power light is on but it doesnt make any sound at all. its a head cab conf... good luck hope you figure it out
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Last edited by joshjebl at Feb 18, 2008,
Quote by sirlimecat
turn the gain down as you go up in volume, you don't need the gain, also 10 presence is like icepick in the ear

I completely disagree with the presence thing, that shapes the tone of this amp majorly. The gain could go as low as 6 once he gets passed 3.5 ish on the volume, but the amount of hum that it cancels is still minimal.

Quote by ComradeRose
what are you using?

Well I use an original 5150, so its a little different but not much.
Pre - 8
Low - 10
Mid - 5
High - 8
Res - 9
Pres - 10

The presence knob becomes VERY sensitive passed 9, but its what really makes this amp come alive.

Primarily change your preamp tubes, see if that helps. Then go to power tubes if you think you need to. A noise gate will only do so much, most of it just comes from the amp itself.
Yeah you sure have some weird EQ settings. I can't have my res or pres above two to have good tone. Try standing in different postions relative to the amp. I've found that when In a certain facing to the amp I get more hum. Oh and is your NS2 in the loop or in front?
Does EMGs have anything to do with it?
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Quote by Fenix40
Yeah you sure have some weird EQ settings. I can't have my res or pres above two to have good tone. Try standing in different postions relative to the amp. I've found that when In a certain facing to the amp I get more hum. Oh and is your NS2 in the loop or in front?

in front
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Quote by ComradeRose
Does EMGs have anything to do with it?

I use EMG 81/85's, I don't think that has a lot to do with it. You could replace the battery just to see if it helps at all.
Ah well thats your problem. Run it in the loop that'll cancel out a ton of preamp noise.
how do i run through the lop channel, ithere are like 4 inputs
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
to run it through the loop, plug a cable from the send jack on the back of the amp to the input jack on the NS-2, then from the output of the NS-2 Plug one to the return jack on the back of the amp.
Gibson Special Faded SG with EMG 81 in the bridge
Peavey 6505
Hughes and Kettner 4x12
Maxon OD 808
Boss NS-2 Noise Suppressor
Boss DD-6 Digital Delay
Boss Tu-2 Chromatic tuner
Boss Ph-3 Phase Shifter
My 5150 doesn't feedback..... you got your presence on 10 which is one cause of it and it sounds like crap like that. You probably have to much highs and your pickup is probably to close to your strings. If you don't run your ns-2 through the effects loop it doesn't do nothing. All it will do is stop noise from pedals and your guitar. Noise gates don't go in front. So basically you've been using your ns-2 for nothing.
Quote by paranormal5150
My 5150 doesn't feedback..... you got your presence on 10 which is one cause of it and it sounds like crap like that. You probably have to much highs and your pickup is probably to close to your strings. If you don't run your ns-2 through the effects loop it doesn't do nothing. All it will do is stop noise from pedals and your guitar. Noise gates don't go in front. So basically you've been using your ns-2 for nothing.

You make it seem like im a newb :-(

your right lol i am. but yea im a big fan of that EQ or high trebill sound and the pres at 10 gives me a lot of kick and crunch i think personally but then again im newb to 5150

Quote by thoreau
to run it through the loop, plug a cable from the send jack on the back of the amp to the input jack on the NS-2, then from the output of the NS-2 Plug one to the return jack on the back of the amp.

Well....it took away the hum and buzz but not the SQUEAL, 1 out of 2 solved lol
thx
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Last edited by ComradeRose at Feb 19, 2008,
bump
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
well at 10 though it sounds really screaching.... the presence sounds good high though. But try it on 7 or 8 and when you play live listen to how you fit in the mix more. That amp has way more presence than a lot of amps. Where as some amps I would keep it up more. But if you are used to it on 10 and you crank it down to 7 it'll sound weird at first because you aren't used to it. So put it on 7 before you even start playing.
Quote by ComradeRose
You make it seem like im a newb :-(

your right lol i am. but yea im a big fan of that EQ or high trebill sound and the pres at 10 gives me a lot of kick and crunch i think personally but then again im newb to 5150

Well....it took away the hum and buzz but not the SQUEAL, 1 out of 2 solved lol
thx

Well the squeal is because of your highs man. Lower your pickups a little and turn that presence and highs down! Also to much mids makes it feedback like crazy.
What settings do you have on your NS-2? That could be having a big effect on why it isn't cutting the squeal out. Otherwise basically what the others have been saying.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15
Tried a bunch of settings and it even squeals with the pre at 2 and the pres at 3 with the rest of the EQ from above the same

Do you have Aim by chance?
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Last edited by ComradeRose at Feb 19, 2008,
Dont stand so close to your amp. Maby try new cables ino my old ones caused a bit of hum. Gl i cant wait till i can afford my 5150 .
yeah paranormal5150 is my name on there. How loud do you have it? You might have it louder than you really need. I set mine on pre 6.5 low 7 mid 3 high 4 resonance 8 presence 7 no feedback. It might be your guitar. Like I said lower your pickups until you dont have any feedback. All it takes is a screwdriver.
lowering the pick ups didnt do a thing
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Quote by ComradeRose
lowering the pick ups didnt do a thing

oh and my post is only at 3
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
microphonic pickups? tubes? try your guitar in another amp. if it squeals, its probably the pickups. if not, its probably the tubes.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
i dont know all the technicalities, but its when something in your pickups goes wrong and they just produce this loud squeal. it can also happen to tubes. thats why i said try it through another amp
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
thx I appreciate it
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals
Thats why its squeeling. You have the post on 3 and as I can tell you seem to be pretty close to the amp. Lower your volume.
I can be in another room with teh guitar and it doesnt change a thing. Same nosie :-(
Esp Ltd Viper 400
Ibanez RGT6EXFX
Peavey 5150 II
Randall Jag Cab
Maxon OD808
Boss Pedals