I read through the FAQ, and I didn't see anything about this, so I figured I'd start a new thread... feel free to report me.

In Audacity, is it possible to record what's coming out of the speakers without putting a microphone to them? Like, can I set it so that I can play something in FL Studios, and it'll record what's coming through the speakers without background noise?

I think that may be confusing, but please respond if you get it.

Thanks for reading.
I like Fall Out Boy.
That is all.
I don't believe so, but if you use a 1/8" to 1/8" cable, you can plug it in to your microphone and headphone jacks, and it will record that way, no mic necessary.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
yeah i think you can actually, there was a thread on this b4. you have to change somthin to 'stereo' setting. ill try and find it.
No, you don't need a cable, and if you set it up like that you would create a feed back loop. I actually have this picture left over from a long time ago that shows what you need to do. In a nutshell, you want to set the input to Audacity to be 'What U Hear' or something to that effect. (I think it's called something different on different soundcards, but there should be an option that allows you to record what your computer is playing.

by the way, ultimate-guitar is retarded. I had attached that picture to a post of mine a year ago, so it wouldn't let me attach it to this post. I tried renaming the picture, and it still wouldn't let me attach it. I had to open the picture, make a minor change, save it, and then it finally let me attach it. That's a pretty ****ty system if you ask me. They could've at least had some way for me to take the picture from that other post and put it into this one, but instead they just made me jump through hoops.

Anyways, I hope that solves your problem.
Attachments:
audacity help.JPG
Last edited by big crouton at Feb 18, 2008,
The cable method works, I've used it hundreds of times. But that dudes method might work too.
Quote by Teh Traineez0rz
yeah was weird cause she liked us both but she loved him and for some reason she let me know beforehand.

i just wanted her poon and she wanted me to have her poon.

so i had myself some poon.
Quote by bassist12
I'll give it a shot.

Is this what I would need?

yep, line out to line in, says something like that in the Audacity FAQ page (not here at the UG site...)

Audacity does have the "What U Hear" record mode which will record any audio played though your computer but some sound cards support it, others don't so if you cant select that like me then you need the cable method.