i am making a strat in my shop class i have the pickups and everything but i was wondering whether i should make the body outta alder or ash. could someone also say the difference between the two woods
Gear:
Epiphone Sg-400 standard
Epiphone DR 100 VS
Fender FM 212
Boss ME-50
I don't know the technical differences but I know most strats are made of alder, so if you want the traditional sound, I'd go with alder.
WHITE STRIPES

Quote by Placenta_07
I look at boobs and bums and stuff I get really horny and stuff.

PARTY OF SPECIAL THINGS TO DO
Yeah, I like the figure of ash more.

I'd say if you're going for a stain finish, go with ash. Otherwise, go with alder, like the other person said, if you want the traditional fender sound. :P
I vote ash, and with that said you should have made a poll.

The reason why being that my friends woodshop teacher/guitar builder swears ash is one of the best tone woods and fairly easy to work with. Plus the figure and whatnot. I wouldn't really know much about it myself but according to my friend his teacher is right, compared to alder (oddly enough that's what they were discussing) ash is supposed to be better.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
Quote by Wiland
i am making a strat in my shop class i have the pickups and everything but i was wondering whether i should make the body outta alder or ash. could someone also say the difference between the two woods

What sort of ash? Hard ask or soft (swamp) ash? Hard ash sustains nicely (but who really cares) and is fairly bright. Swamp ash is warmer