I want to connect the guitar and the microphone at the same time, and make them work together, the problem is my soundcard can't record from 2 channels. If I connect the guitar to the line in, the guitar works, when I connect the mic to the mic input, the mic works but the guitar stops working.
So the question is, will a USB interface for the guitar solve this problem if I connect the guitar via USB and the mic in the mic input?
If not, any other solutions?
I can't say for certain whether the setup you have proposed would work, but you can get a interface with two inputs that will send two seperate tracks to your computer. Make sure you have a recording program that allows you to record more than one track at a time though, because otherwise there's no point. Audacity, for example, only lets you record one track at a time. Most other programs will let you do multiple inputs though.
Quote by big crouton
I can't say for certain whether the setup you have proposed would work, but you can get a interface with two inputs that will send two seperate tracks to your computer. Make sure you have a recording program that allows you to record more than one track at a time though, because otherwise there's no point. Audacity, for example, only lets you record one track at a time. Most other programs will let you do multiple inputs though.

Thanks for the reply. Can you suggest a good software that does that?
Does Adobe Audition do it?
You'll need a new interface of some kind since the stock sound cards cant use both the line in and mic at the same time...

A USB interface will work for two mono tracks so its suggested that you go with wither a PCI unit (if you are using a desktop) or go with a Firewire connected device. Firewire can send out a lot more info at one time so you should have little - no problem recording two parts at one time.

The Mackie Onyx Satellite is a nice unit for around $200 but will only work with windows XP at this time.

As for software, you need the proper type to multi track and Reaper is both free and a great quality program.
The PreSonus Inspire will work with Mac or PC. The Mackie's also awesome, especially if you NEED balanced outputs (ie: running cables >10ft long). But then again, if you have or can use Audition, I recommend getting it...it's an extremely powerful and well-built multi-track recorder and mastering software.
Quote by Fast_Fingers
The PreSonus Inspire will work with Mac or PC. The Mackie's also awesome, especially if you NEED balanced outputs (ie: running cables >10ft long). But then again, if you have or can use Audition, I recommend getting it...it's an extremely powerful and well-built multi-track recorder and mastering software.

Cheers, thanks for the reply