I have absolutly no idea what to do.

I recently plugged a Line 6 Spider 2 HD150 into my peavy bandit 112. Then all hell broke loose.
I heard a loud noise, then the amp stopped working. The red light turned off as well, and I hear nothing but a little buzzing noise. When I opened up the amp all the fuses were fine. I even ran then through a voltmetre to be sure. The power transistors looked to be in tip top shape as well. As far as my eyes culd see there was no damage at all to the circuit board. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. the obvious thing to do would be to bring it into a shop yes, but if I can save the money as per Im a college student and extremley tight for cash, I would like to try.

HELP ME!!
Is ur amp plugged into a surge protector? Did the surge protector go off? Is the power cord plugged in? Is something wrong with your amp cable?
Define plugged into. Speaker output into other amps guitar input? FX loop send etc. And SS state amps are usually pretty hard and expensive to get fixed at a shop.
You plugged an amp head into an amp combo?

You've probably just fried the head and probably overloaded the combo too.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
why did u do this?
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
I've done it before. You get a gnarly distortion i <3.
When I do this, the head is turned up almost all the way, but I keep the combo volume low so I don't blow the speaker.
I'm guessing your speaker's broken.
To test this, line your Peavy out to a cab.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Did you connect it with a guitar cable or a speaker cable?
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
Quote by RizzoWashburn
Did you connect it with a guitar cable or a speaker cable?

Guitar cable, out the head's headphone jack not the speaker jack. But listen to forsaknazreal. He's usually right about these things.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
Well what happened is....I plugged the line 6 with guitar plugged into it, into the peavey, the peavy stopped working, not the head. A big loud noise came, then the red power light faded and went off. Now when i try to use the peavy, all i hear is a tiny fuzzing noise and no red light comes on.
Oh dear, did you plug the speaker output of the head into the input of the peavey? That is one of the most idioticly stupid things you can do with 2 guitar amps. Not much point in trying to fix the amp. Oh well at least if the speaker still works now you can connect it PROPERLY, ie plugging the speaker output DIRECTLY into the speaker as in connecting a wire with a jack on one end and speaker terminals on the other directly to the terminals on the actual speaker itself. And PLEASE make sure the impedances on the speaker and the amp match up!
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Last edited by eddiehimself at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by screwedsquirre

I recently plugged a Line 6 Spider 2 HD150 into my peavy bandit 112. Then all hell broke loose.
I heard a loud noise, then the amp stopped working. The red light turned off as well, and I hear nothing but a little buzzing noise.
Quote by Losenger
Probably damaged the preamp stage of your Peavey amp.
That would be my guess.
Maybe some of the transistors shorted internally
and have damaged or are loading down one of the power supplies, too.
Quote by screwedsquirre
When I opened up the amp all the fuses were fine. I even ran then through a voltmetre to be sure.
Good.
That was one of the few things that are easily fixed.
Now you know they aren't a problem.
Quote by screwedsquirre
The power transistors looked to be in tip top shape as well. As far as my eyes culd see there was no damage at all to the circuit board.

Your eyes can only tell you so much.
Devices can fail internally, but look fine on the outside.
It's worth the time to look for visually obvious damage.
But in this case, there appears to be none.
Quote by screwedsquirre
If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. the obvious thing to do would be to bring it into a shop yes, but if I can save the money as per Im a college student and extremley tight for cash, I would like to try.

HELP ME!!
I'd like to help you with your amp.
But it sounds like you've done all you have the skills to do.
You will have to pay the bucks and take it to a tech.
On the other hand, I can help a bit with the college thing ...

Quote by screwedsquirre

I heard a loud noise, then the amp stopped working. The red light turned off as well, and I hear nothing but a little buzzing noise. When I opened up the amp all the fuses were fine. I even ran then through a voltmetre to be sure. The power transistors looked to be in tip top shape as well. As far as my eyes culd see there was no damage at all to the circuit board. If anyone has any suggestions that would be great. the obvious thing to do would be to bring it into a shop yes, but if I can save the money as per Im a college student and extremley tight for cash, I would like to try.

HELP ME!!

Absolutely.
Voltmeter.
Could.
I'm.
Extremely.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, it's broken for sure. And it's not going to be easy or cheap to fix. Sorry.

I don't know WHY you plugged the line 6 in like that, but never do that again.
^ Heeding this advice might prevent the next disaster.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.