Poll: How you play your powerchords.
Poll Options
View poll results: How you play your powerchords.
Pointer + Ring + Pinky
134 70%
Pointer + Ring barring 2 strings
43 23%
Pointer + Ring, because I never add the octave.
14 7%
Voters: 191.
Page 1 of 2
aye, the most overused thing in guitar now has a poll!

I was wondering how most people play the powerchords with the octave added on.

I used to use my pointer, ring, and pinky to play em, but then I started just kinda barring the 5th and octave with my ring finger and find it much easier.

so how do you do it? pointer, ring, pinky or pointer, ring.

or are you just lazy and only play straight up 1, 5 with no octave?
Depends...some switches are easier just to bar. I bar when I play master of puppets
not playing the octave is not just about laziness. I sometimes dont use the octave cause it ruins the oomph of the chord. I dont really like powerchords however.
pointer and ring barr

07 Fender American Deluxe Strat
07 Fender Custom Telecaster
09 Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster
09 Fulltone OCD V.4
10 Ibanez WH-10 V.2
09 Splawn SuperStock
10 Jet City JCA-20
97 Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

Yeh the SICK! bit sounds a bit stupid.

I usually use all three fingers but sometimes I'll slide into them and barre with my pinky.
ESP Custom Shop 40th Anniversary Eclipse
ESP Standard Eclipse-II
Ibanez AF85VLS
I think u need to add pointer+middle finger barr....
thats wut i do
My meh gear:
ESP LTD MH-400NT
Peavey Raptor Plus EXP
Digitech RP90
Digitech Bad Monkey
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi (WTS)
Crate GT15 (SHIT)

GAS:
Peavey 6505 112 combo
MXR 10-band EQ
Ibanez TS-9
Boss HR-2
Compressor (open to suggestions)
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Pointer and pinkey. Iommi ftw

and kirk hammet i believe

i do pointer and pinky too.. i just cant do power chords in any other way properly.
Everybody Loves Lefty..

Lefties Unite!

Melodic Thrash Metal and winners of the Wacken Metal Battle Canada and 2nd Place Runner Ups for Wacken Metal Battle International

PROFANER
Quote by Ultimate_Gio92
and kirk hammet i believe

i do pointer and pinky too.. i just cant do power chords in any other way properly.

+1
Quote by Green RATM Day

Electric - you plug it into a power outlet in the wall and the music comes from little speakers in the guitar.

Quote by The Raven
^ Bugger! You win this time Dark Ra - Hey! Thats partially my name dammit! I challenge you... to a gentleman's dual!

All My Equipment
I just use what's readily available at the exact moment, so anything really.
i second nyandres. i dont always play the 5th but i play it with my pinky
Quote by Deadmen
Wait for them by your door, and when they come.
Jump out with your wiener just hanging there and yell "Surprise!"
They'll never talk to you again, also make shure to helicoptor it a bit.

Memeber #665 of the Ibanez RG owners of the world club
Depends. Sometimes I just bar them, other times I use my index, ring and pinky.
2004 Fender American HSS Strat
Hughes And Kettner Switchblade
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser FR
Epi LP Classic
Epi G-400
Yamaha acoustic
Boss DD-3 Delay
B.Y.O.C. MXR Distortion+
Vox Wah
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Quote by Malarkatron
Depends. Sometimes I just bar them, other times I use my index, ring and pinky.

+1
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Gibson DC Pro Custom shop
Fender American Stratocaster - Vintage custom
Fender Squier Strat
Fender Standard Telecaster
im weird when it comes to this. ill play only the pointer n lpinky for fast licks but if i want reall badass ommph i play the powerchords with as much emphasis as possible by adding in other variations of chords (to make it sound better - not just blindly and tastelessly adding notes) it really depends on the song and the particular feeling the song is meant to have.

eg. creeping death section after the solo (DIE! DIE DIE!)

i dont play powerchords there, i keep the root note and play the same fret directly below on the low E string...sometimes ill even add in a whole bar chord for a differnt touch. I do this a lot when i feel like the chord could sound a little beefier/ could use a subtle touch.
sacrificial beaver of the laney cult

~Gear~

Schecter C-7 Hellraiser
ESP LTD F-2005
Laney VH100R *with free cab*
Roland Cube 60
Cort Acoustic
Quote by Artemis Entreri
Pointer and pinkey. Iommi ftw

+1

My playing is actually extremely similar to Iommi, except that I'm right handed and I haven't injured my fingertips. I also need money for a Gibson SG.
"I've been visiting a psychiatrist for some time now. He plays mind games. He asks things like 'do you masturbate'? and I say 'do you breathe?'."
Ozzy - 1975
Pointer + ring + pinky for happy powerchords and Pointer + pinky without the octave for most metal.
We are "PSYCHONAUT", Psychedelic/Stoner/Sludge from Belgium.

Check out our recordings and shows here:

BandCamp
YouTube
FaceBook
Pointer, ring, pinky
I fret them like that because I have more control over other strings that I'm muting and I usually just fret the entire major barre shape anyway.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
I use pointer+ring+pink when I'm adding the octave. Otherwise, I use pointer+pinky, I mute all the strings with the rest of my hand easier and really slam the **** out of the chord and get a heavier sound.
Pointer and ring, sometimes dropping the octave. Or I'll drop the the root and play them one fingered/inverted.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
Depends on the sound I'm going for. I usually either play the full bar chord, or I play just the fifth with no octave.
I use just the pointer and the ring. While it looks cooler, doing it with the pointer and pinky is just uncomfortable to me.
Pointer, ring and pinky for most things. Point and ring bar for most slides.

Take Master of Puppets, for example. I three finger the intro riff, but then once it does the open low E and then sliding around, I use two fingers.
one i saw a guy play power choerds with the pointer and the middle finger, i was like...woh...
<_______<
i use my pointer finger
and my pinky
that ruelz
All three for me! Might as well do them so if I need that octave, I can do it without struggling or anything.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
If I have some time to adjust before the next one, I do index/ring/pinky. If I have to do some fast chord shapes, I bar with the pinky. But I just play root/fifth 99% of the time, I don't care for the sound of root/fifth/root.
sometimes pointer ring pinky, somestimes pointer pinky, sometimes something else, it all depends on the chord progression and where you r on the neck, at least for me
For nearly 7 years I followed the Hammett method of pointer and pinky with no octave.

As of late though I'm beginning to integrate pointer/ring/pinky, though I'd say 60% of the time its pointer and pinky.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
Page 1 of 2