View poll results: Best OD to Tighten up a ValveKing
DigiTech Bad Monkey
14 64%
Boss SD-1
3 14%
Electro-Harmonix LPB-1
5 23%
Voters: 22.
Im going for this and this style of crunchy distortion btw =)

If you could please say why you voted for your choice that would be appreciated.

I've been reading up on this EHX LPB, which is supposedly a great overdrive aswell.

Quote by HarmonyCentralReview

It is a tad bit noisy when the volume knob is all the way up but it's not any greater than an overdrive or distortion pedal. It's actually slightly less noisy than my Ibanez TS-9. I compared it directly with the TS-9 which has been modded to TS-808 specs with the gain all the way up on both and they sounded very similar. I am considering in fact getting the LPB-2 which is the pedal version and using it in place of the TS-9 since I can make the LPB have true bypass where with the TS-9 I cannot, and the TS-9 adds a bit of noise to my signal.
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

New Amp Fund: Depleted
Last edited by mike.h at Feb 19, 2008,
I've never even heard of the EHX one so I won't comment on that.

The Bad Monkey, is pretty good for the price, it's still missing a lot of what my OD-808 does to my amp, but for the price, it's great.

The SD-1 is alright. I'm not really a fan of Boss, though I'm not really a fan of Digitech either. I honestly wasn't very impressed by the SD-1, it was alright, but the Bad Monkey was better for the cash.

If you can get an OD-808/TS-808 or TS-9/OD-9 used or something, that'd be the way to go.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Actually, I like my Marshall Guv'nor with my Valveking. Gives the lead channel a little more growl and sounds nice with the clean, too. Just don't scoop the mids on the pedal...
Hey man, i'm also interested in this. I'm checking out a DOD EQ pedal for my VK112 and i also have a similar thread going. I'm going to get a chance to play a DOD through my amp in 3 weeks over spring break.
Peavey VK112
Fish&Chips EQ
Ibanez TS9DX
Jackson Warrior JS30 upgraded EMG 81/85
Epiphone Silverburst 1966 Reissue G-400
Washburn D12N

Playing since 03-11-07
........Uber Noob Skillz
Any other opinions?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

i used a ts808 for when i had a valveking. worked great for tightening up the high gain.
Quote by The red Strat.
isn't the LPB-1 a clean dooster
It's meant to be, but it also adds a whole bunch of bass.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
It's meant to be, but it also adds a whole bunch of bass.

which still means it's a clean booster
my point was, that it won't add gain. whether it will tighten up the tone or not, i don't know.
It will add gain.... That's exactly what the Tubescreamer etc are used for. You set it to boost lots of volume, and the tubes overdrive. Clean booster would mean your tone isn't affected when you do so, but the advantage of the TS series is the mid-hump which helps tighten up dirt.
Quote by MrCarrot
It will add gain.... That's exactly what the Tubescreamer etc are used for. You set it to boost lots of volume, and the tubes overdrive. Clean booster would mean your tone isn't affected when you do so, but the advantage of the TS series is the mid-hump which helps tighten up dirt.

sorry, i expressed myself wrong. i meant 'gain' as in 'overdrive', not volume. we guitarists don't use the term 'gain' correctly actually .
Quote by dsubstanceuk
Carrot's point is that if you boost the volume, then the tubes will break up and overdrive is then produced.

of course. but i'm not sure if it will tighten up the tone, and i said it also because i think the TS thought it was a dirt pedal.
Quote by The red Strat.
of course. but i'm not sure if it will tighten up the tone, and i said it because i think the TS thought it was a dirt pedal.
Ah.

Nah, the tone tighteny effect of the Tubescreamer is the exact same. The pedal doesn't produce any gain of its own, just boosts the tubes into OD. It tends to be more musical as you're also overdriving V1a as well as the other ones. But yeah, the other half of the tightening effect that the Tubescreamer gives that is correlated to the level boost, and the mid hump, which is also quite musical. Cascading gain stages plus the boost help a lot.
I have used the LPB1 extensively and it delivers an undistorted boost, doesn't color the sound at all, but will help drive distortion because of the hot signal. Could be used to drive the clean channel of a tube amp to distortion with lower volume requierments. It certainly delivers a lot of sustain.
Quote by uldhppi
I have used the LPB1 extensively and it delivers an undistorted boost, doesn't color the sound at all, but will help drive distortion because of the hot signal. Could be used to drive the clean channel of a tube amp to distortion with lower volume requierments. It certainly delivers a lot of sustain.

That's what I use mine for, it's a great pedal.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
The LPB1 is also really nice to put in front of a Wah or anywhere else in an effects chain were your tone gets sucked.

Anyways, I use a Bad Monkey with my VK and I like it alot. I use it on the clean channel to give me a nice light OD thats great for playing chords and the such, and on the Lead channel it gives me a bit of a boost.

Best bang for your buck imo, I got mine on e-bay for $25.
And maybe we can fly away from here, surf on the debris of a broken scene...
Quote by uldhppi

So it would tighten up the gain on the VK?
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Quote by MrCarrot
Ah.

Nah, the tone tighteny effect of the Tubescreamer is the exact same. The pedal doesn't produce any gain of its own, just boosts the tubes into OD. It tends to be more musical as you're also overdriving V1a as well as the other ones. But yeah, the other half of the tightening effect that the Tubescreamer gives that is correlated to the level boost, and the mid hump, which is also quite musical. Cascading gain stages plus the boost help a lot.

why did you change your avatar again? I still miss the strat knob
Quote by mike.h
Any other opinions?

Tubescreamer ftw?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by thankyougermany
Tubescreamer ftw?

I dont have an extra $50 to spend atm.. couldnt find any used ones either (Canada)
Epiphone G-400
GFS Crunchy PAF - Bridge

DigiTech Bad Monkey
iSP Decimator

Bad monkey. I use it with my Valveking and love it. It tightens the sound perfect for me
My Gear:

Fender Strat w/Duncans
Hand Built(by me) guitar w/Duncans
Ibanez RG321MH
Bugera V22
Peavey Vyper 30 Watt
Xotic BB Preamp
MXR Carbon Copy Delay
Digitech Hardwire Chromatic Tuner
Fender T-Bucket Acoustic
Digitech Bad Monkey
Quote by MrCarrot
Ah.

ah ok
Quote by s.r.v.
why did you change your avatar again? I still miss the strat knob
XD

I liked that one too. But the picture quality was dire, as was the quality on the Tele one... On this one it's still pretty decent
Quote by rhcp_freak
That's what I use mine for, it's a great pedal.

I'm quietly gassing for one...just to push the front of my amps a touch harder and get a little more umph.