I'm taking lessons now but it seems that my guitar teacher isn't really following the direction i would like him too. I dont need to have my hand held step by step, as long as i know the basics i can apply it to other areas but he's at a different stage of fundamentals

For example my first lessons revolves around the key of G. I have the 7 major diatonic chords. So we go through that.

Second lessons is the key of C and so on. This isnt a problem except im pretty sure we're going to go through all of them and lessons aren't cheap at all.

If he would just explain how each chord is made up then i could just apply the rules to all the other keys myself and figure it out.

For instance i know that for a basic major chord you need the 1st 3rd and 5th notes.
but i have no clue why in chords 1-7 the second and third are minor. Why aren't they all major?

So if i know where to start with those i can spend my time (and money) learning other things

Should priority list go from
Diatonic Chords/keys
Scales
songs?
What you need to do is bring your questions and concerns to the teacher; if he doesn't explain to you what's going on, or ignores your requests, then leave him. A good teacher is also a good listener.
An open mind never knows too much.
Just ask him, you'll learn much better and faster from a teacher than teaching yourself.
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
I don't entirely agree. I have taught myself for a few years now. I'll admit it can be a bit slower, because you don't always have a set routine, but that isn't to say that teaching yourself is a bad thing. So by all means, go at it on your own.

Now, I think I understand what you are asking at the end of your post. See, it revolves around the major scale. I'll work with C, because it has no accidentals (sharps or flats). I'm going to assume you know that C Major scale is C, D, E, F, G, A, B. To make the chords that fit that scale, we take the first, third and fifth of that particular note (but only stick to the notes in the scale). I'm not entirely sure that that was a good explanation. Let me show you:

The first chord in the C Major scale is C. C what? Well, take the first (C), move two up (E) and move two up again (G). This makes the C MAJOR chord.

The second chord is the D chord. D What? Take the D, then the F, then the A (because we have to stick to the notes in the scale we're working in) just like we did for C. Now, if we step aside for a moment and take a look at the D major scale (just to figure out what chord this is) (D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#, D) we can see that D F A doesn't have a major third like you know a major chord has, but a flat third. This means its a minor chord.

I hope I haven't lost you. It might help to go and look at some intervals and other music theory a bit.

We'll do the E just to establish this pattern. Out of the C Major scale we take the E, G, B. Now we step aside to the E Major scale (E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E) we again see that E, G, B has a flat third rather than a major third. You see? It's a minor chord.

I lied. Let's do the F just for fun. It should be getting a bit easier to understand now (I hope... I've done my best). From the C Major scale we take the F, A, C. Yep, you guessed it, let's step aside to the F Major scale to see what it is (F, G, A, Bb, C, D, E, F). Look at that! Its a major third. That makes it a major chord.

So we've worked out the I, ii, iii, and IV chords (lower case for minors). Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to work out the V and vi chords (the casing is a hint )

I've done my best. I hope I could help you out a bit.
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.
The reason i take guitar lessons rather than online videos is because i have dial up internet access

But besides that, your examples made sense except for one thing.

I thought major chords were made up of 1,3,5, and minors were made of 1 3b 5

So if you take the 1 3 and 5 of D like you said (D F# A) thats major and the minor be a flattened 3rd so (DFA) Which still doesnt make sense.
Last edited by e-bowie at Feb 19, 2008,
You are right. A major chord is a 1, 3, 5 and a minor is a 1, b3, 5. When playing in a scale, we use the notes of that particular scale to make chords. There isn't an F# in the C Major scale, so the D Major chord wouldn't sound quite right. Instead, we've got an F in the C Major scale, so we can make a D Minor chord. If you play the D Major and Minor chords over some C Major scale, you'll find that because the D Minor has that F in it, it will fit the scale nicer.

By the way, as far as I'm concerned, the lack of videos isn't going to help your learning. By all means, read a lot of articles and lessons, because written lessons capture music theory a lot better. But when it comes to something else, say riffs and licks, youtube is invaluable. Maybe I can persuade you to upgrade to dsl/cable?
Quote by imthehitcher
you truly are a prince of men

Quote by isuckhardcore
I get naked FOR my dog.