I feel almost embarrassed asking this question, but I don't have much experience with heads and cabs and whatnot, but here goes:

would a 50 watt tube head work with a 120 watt cab? (the cab originally came paired up with a 120 watt solid state head.)

My weird logic is saying that solid state and tube has nothing to do with the cab and that it would work, but then again i remember the old rule of thumb that you multiply the tube wattage by 3 to see what it would be solid state, and that would make the head 150 solid state watts- more than the 120 watt cab could handle at high volumes.

So yeah, would the two be compatible? Am I thinking way too far into this?
I wanna say they would work, but it doesn't hurt to ask the great community that is UG

thanks a bunch for clearing this up,
Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat
Is the ohmage the same? If so, yes.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Tube amps arnt actually louder, just how the sound is produced makes it seem louder, so even though you can multiply the wattage of a tube by 2.5/3 whatever you think it is, it may sound that loud, but its still only 50 watts.

You'll be fine, just make sure the ohms match.
UG's Official Stuffed Toy! Because I am so cuddly wuddly

I LOVE KENSAI
perfect!

Thanks a bunch

I always learn something new on UG, even after 4 years haha

Quote by happytimeharry
ig·no·rant

1. Lacking education or knowledge.
2. Showing or arising from a lack of education or knowledge: an ignorant mistake.
3. Unaware or uninformed.

also see: elitist asshat