where do i mic up?
infront of the sound whole, at the neck from close or far?
how far?
its good during the verse, but i bash it a bit in the chorus and it distorts in the recording.
thanks
I usually put a dynamic mike about 4" from the soundhole, pointing slightly towards the fretboard, and a condenser about 2" away, and I DI it, which gives a nice blend.
^ 2 inch away ? and you aren't in danger of hitting it?

Just experiment with a lot of different places to get the sound you want. You'll find that placing the mic at the bridge, or the soundhole or the fretboard will yield very different sounds. I find a good one at about the 12th fret, but you should find one that works well for you.
There is poetry in despair.
After much in the way of tribulations and trials I have found that having the condensor mic about 1/3 of the way between the sound hole and the lower end of the guitar and a cardiod (sp?) at the 12th fret seems to be optimal. I give myself about 4" on the neck mic and 8" on the body mic to give the guitar some singing room.

Tony
I like a dynamic mic pointing directly at the sound hole and a condenser mic placed on the neck side of the dynamic a few feet away angled toward the lower end of the fretboard.

DS
I have a computer mic, and I literally put it in the sound hole. It's a really small mic, and I can still play with it fine... this probably didn't help you at all..
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
I use dual condenser mics with extremely wide cardoid patterns.

Depending on the sound I'm looking for or the guitar I'm using... I usually place a large diaphragm mic about 8 to 10 inches from the soundhole (or closer to the bridge... give or take) and a small diaphragm condenser up around the 12th to 14th fret on the fretboard... around 6 to 8 inches away.

I use nothing but tube preamps for the warmth they provide, but a decent solidstate will do the job... just not as good.

Mic placement will vary your tone, so place the mics and record a little... see how it sounds, then move them and record again until you get what you're looking for.
Good little tip here.

The other week I recorded a live show, and the acoustic guitar was feedbacking through the PA.

If you put an old CD over the soundhole, the feedback is considerably eliminated.

I've not had that problem in the studio, because I never amp up acoustics, I just DI and stick a couple mikes up.

I used an AKG pencil mike (forget the model #) on one a while back, which sounded good.

I also like to multitrack acoustic guitars 2-3 times, which kills the individual, but sounds lovely. You can combine the warmth of a tokai and the high end of a fender into something very special.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Good little tip here.

The other week I recorded a live show, and the acoustic guitar was feedbacking through the PA.

If you put an old CD over the soundhole, the feedback is considerably eliminated.

Check this company out

Lute Hole Company

While not as "kewl" as an old CD.. it's a nice looking solution to the feedback problem. I'm thinking of getting one meself

Tony
Quote by Bill43
I use dual condenser mics with extremely wide cardoid patterns.

Depending on the sound I'm looking for or the guitar I'm using... I usually place a large diaphragm mic about 8 to 10 inches from the soundhole (or closer to the bridge... give or take) and a small diaphragm condenser up around the 12th to 14th fret on the fretboard... around 6 to 8 inches away.

I use nothing but tube preamps for the warmth they provide, but a decent solidstate will do the job... just not as good.

Mic placement will vary your tone, so place the mics and record a little... see how it sounds, then move them and record again until you get what you're looking for.

+1 on that mic placement, as for mics...the MXL 990 and 991 do a good job with acoustic guitar.
I had a little booklet come with my microphone.
It said:
More bass, 20cm/8inches from sound hole
Bass Heavy, 9cm/3inches from sound hole
Warm, Mellow, 9-15cm/4-8inches from the bridge
Natual 15cm/6 inches above side, over the bridge.

Hope this helped!
I like my guitars like I like my women, with fat bottoms.