My friend, a carpenter, has built me a neck, body, headstock, and fretboard (basically, all the wood of a guitar) for me to finish using assorted parts we have bought.

But... I know very little of wiring and how to install things into the body (the cutouts are the correct size, though - we have done plenty of research, I'm just poor with electronics.)

I've seen the diagrams at many of the pickup manufacter's website, but I was wondering if anyone had one more... ah... well suited for my inability to understand everything. lol.

We have 3 knobs (hoping to do 2 tones & 1 volume) and a switch (although... we may not use it since I have to work on this on my own), and coming in tomorrow are

0128 250K Control Pot $2.73 1 $2.73
0130 500K Control Pot $2.73 1 $2.73
1291 .020mf Capacitor - Set $3.86 1 $3.86
of 12
3481 1 Meg Control Pot $4.69 1 $4.69
4652 Switchcraft Mono Output $3.45 1 $3.45
Jack

(lol just copied and pasted the receipt)

now, if I'm not mistaken, in theory the capacitors will change volume to tone (if my understanding is correct). I intend to use the 250k pot on the single coil and the 500k on the humbucker (only 2 pickups), and the 1 meg control as a volume but... idk I guess I'm just seeking approval of this idea, making sure I have the right ideas in concept, and. idk.

simpler wiring diagrams for a 2 pickup scenario.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!
i dunno if the huge difference in pot size for the tone knobs will be a good idea, one pickups tone might be changed more drastically than the other, not sure though since there will need to be some difference since 1 is SC and the other HB

EDIT: Oh and you're a mod, can u do something bout those gross spammers?
'08 Gretsch White Falcon
'98 Fender USA Deluxe Tele
'79 Greco Les Paul Standard
Airline Stratotone Crafter GAE8

A bunch of funky pedals

Handwired 50 Watt Plexi Lead Clone w/ Orange 4x12
Last edited by druz15_UG at Feb 19, 2008,
Thats very ambitious of you... I tried doing this once myself, I'm pretty handy with most things, and ending up botching it. Take it to a pro, or find a somebody willing to donate a bunch of time to showing (in person, not here!) you the ropes.
Suhr Custom, Flaxwood Rautia or Grosh Tele thru
HBE Medicine Bawl Wah
Analogman BiComp
Texas Two Step OD
Fulltone Ultimate Octave/Fuzz
Boss CE-2
TC Nova Delay
SLO-100, 65 London or Bogner Shiva
Ask me about any of this stuff!
Quote by UtBDan
My friend, a carpenter, has built me a neck, body, headstock, and fretboard (basically, all the wood of a guitar) for me to finish using assorted parts we have bought.

But... I know very little of wiring and how to install things into the body (the cutouts are the correct size, though - we have done plenty of research, I'm just poor with electronics.)

I've seen the diagrams at many of the pickup manufacter's website, but I was wondering if anyone had one more... ah... well suited for my inability to understand everything. lol.

We have 3 knobs (hoping to do 2 tones & 1 volume) and a switch (although... we may not use it since I have to work on this on my own), and coming in tomorrow are

0128 250K Control Pot $2.73 1 $2.73
0130 500K Control Pot $2.73 1 $2.73
1291 .020mf Capacitor - Set $3.86 1 $3.86
of 12
3481 1 Meg Control Pot $4.69 1 $4.69
4652 Switchcraft Mono Output $3.45 1 $3.45
Jack

(lol just copied and pasted the receipt)

now, if I'm not mistaken, in theory the capacitors will change volume to tone (if my understanding is correct). I intend to use the 250k pot on the single coil and the 500k on the humbucker (only 2 pickups), and the 1 meg control as a volume but... idk I guess I'm just seeking approval of this idea, making sure I have the right ideas in concept, and. idk.

tone pot and a volume pot will have different wiring. even without the caps, it's different. volume pot is wired as a simple voltage divider. tone pot is a variable resistor between the hot and the cap going to ground.

250k pot for single coil works, so does 500k for the humbucker. 1M volume is tad bit excessive in my world, but everything works. volume control has to be higher value if your pickup is higher in inductance. higher inductance pickups with low value volume pots will lose lots of tone and output even with the ovlume control all the way up. in ur case, i would put a 1M resistor across lug 1 and lug 3 of the 1M volume control, to bring down the value to 500k. that would give you a nice value.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
uh one problem if you need advice the neck will warp if not dry enought and all out caos will insue........unless you know what your doing in which case I'll shut up......
Quote by UtBDan

That's basically correct. The caps preferentially shunt the higher frequencies to ground, and the pots associated with them dial in how much.

I would have gone with a 500k for the volume, but I don't think 1 Meg will be a problem. Since each pickup has it's own tone control, and the SC has a 250k on it, that will keep it from being excessively bright. But expect it to be a little brighter than normal.

What kind of switch?
3-way LP toggle?
3-way Tele lever?
5-way superswitch?

The switch is the heart of the wiring.
You design around it's capabilities, and what configurations you want.
You can do just about anything with a 5-way superswitch.
The others are limited to the basics.

Also, what make and model are the pickups?
There are different color codes for the wires,
depending on who makes the pickup.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
We got a Emg-Hz S2 Single Coil PUP and a Emg-Hz H4a Humbucker (Alcino magnet) PUP.

looking back at the order, though, it looks like he ordered a toggle switch wrench instead of a toggle switch. lol.
So looks like for guitar #1, no switch.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
We got a Emg-Hz S2 Single Coil PUP and a Emg-Hz H4a Humbucker (Alcino magnet) PUP.

looking back at the order, though, it looks like he ordered a toggle switch wrench instead of a toggle switch. lol.
So looks like for guitar #1, no switch.

Without a switch, it makes much more sense to have 2 volumes and a single tone.
I hate that configuration,
but it's really the only one that makes sense with no pickup switch.

Your wiring will be similar to a Jazz Bass.

Use the 1 Meg pot for the H4a volume,
the 500k for the S2 volume,
and the 250k for the tone.

Wire according to Diagram 2, here:
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-S1-S3.pdf

Cheers,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
Without a switch, it makes much more sense to have 2 volumes and a single tone.
I hate that configuration,
but it's really the only one that makes sense with no pickup switch.

Your wiring will be similar to a Jazz Bass.

Use the 1 Meg pot for the H4a volume,
the 500k for the S2 volume,
and the 250k for the tone.

Wire according to Diagram 2, here:
http://www.emginc.com/downloads/wiringdiagrams/EMG-S1-S3.pdf

Cheers,
SYK

I appreciate all this, but may I ask why not use the 250k & 500k for the two volumes? I only ask because I was recommend to use the 250k with the single coil and the 500k with the bucker, but I just want to know the science/thought process behind your decision.

based on the advice & diagram, I will go with what you advised, but i'd also like to know why you say 2 volumes & 1 tone is easier with no switch.

Thanks for the big help SYK.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Quote by UtBDan
based on the advice & diagram, I will go with what you advised, but i'd also like to know why you say 2 volumes & 1 tone is easier with no switch.
Not easier. It makes more sense.
If you have a single volume control and no selector switch,
the two pickups are in parallel all the time.
And that puts the two tone controls in parallel all the time.
The two tone controls to perform exactly the same function,
and you have no way to change which pickup(s) you use.

By using 2 volumes, you wire them "backward" like a Jazz Bass.
The pickups are each connected to the wiper of their volume pot,
and the cw lugs of the two pots are connected together to form the output.

Quote by UtBDan
I appreciate all this, but may I ask why not use the 250k & 500k for the two volumes? I only ask because I was recommend to use the 250k with the single coil and the 500k with the bucker, but I just want to know the science/thought process behind your decision.
Normally, I would go along with that.
but without the switch,
when you turn the S2 to minimum and the H4a to maximum,
that pickup will be loaded by the resistance of both volume controls in parallel.

250k // 500k = 167k = MajorToneSuck on the H4a
The S2 Has a rather low internal inductance, so 167k isn't too bad.
When both pickups are full on, their internal inductances are in parallel.
So driving that kind of load won't be a problem at all, with both volumes at 10.

500k // with 1Meg = 333k = Slightly bright for the S2 alone, Slightly dark for the H4a.
250k is a bit low for the tone control, but since you're using a .02 for the tone cap,
it won't be as much a problem there, as with the volume controls.

There are compromises that have to be made.
Without a switch, and using the pots you have,
this is the best way to do it, imho.

SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
the pots came in today, and Im trying to just setup the wiring before even doing anything with it to make sure I can do it... correctly.

thing is, I understand looking at the diagrams what wire goes where from the side with the 3 prongs - pretty straight forward in that sense.

what I don't understand is how the two wires from the pickup connect to their given pot. maybe the diagrams are too black & white for me, or maybe I'm completely blind and retarded.

but I don't understand which wire goes where, because in the EMG diagram it specifically marks which color... and then shows only black & white as if I'm supposed to know which wire goes where once I know which wire is which. Even in stu-mac's diagram (http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Electronics,_pickups/Potentiometers_and_push-pull_pots/1/Potentiometers_and_Push-Pull_Pots/Instructions/I-0032.html#details ) I understand how to connect wires to the 3 prongs, but I do not understand how to connect to it elsewhere... and I also do not understand how to connect the wire to multiple spots. unless I'm an idiot and just being far too basic.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
the 1 meg volume pot was a bad idea, and if there are more thna one single coil, or a humbucker, you need .047 capacitors. get 500k for hums, 250k for singles, the 250k is ohms-resistance. you need more resistance for more output. i can really help you out with this, and give you alot of custom wiring tips, send me a message and i can figure anything out you want. if you want treble bypass rolloff mods, independant pickuip volumes, custom capacitors, etc. ill tell youwhere to get it, how much, and how to wire it. hope it turns out great regardless. plus - dont believe the online diagrams youll find, there are alot simpler and effective ways to do things.
Okay Dan,

Picture ... thousand words ... blah blah, woof woof.

I took a drawing for a Jazz and made some changes:

Your pickup cables probably already have the Black and White wires connected together.
That's good.
Don't connect them to anything else.
Cover the end with tape, if the connection is bare.

The pots and output jack are on a metal plate, so they get connected together just by mechanically attaching them. If your controls and jack aren't mounted on the same kind of plate, you need to add wires to connect the parts as shown by the arrows on the right.

The rightmost lug of the 2 volume controls in the drawing are connected to the case of the pots. Soldering to a pot case can sometimes be a chore. Cleaning the surface with sandpaper can help. You don't have to solder anything to the case, but it's sometimes an easy place to connect things together that need to be grounded.

If you don't use the pot cases as connection points,
these things all need to be connected together:

1 - all green and bare wires from the pickups.

2 - the rightmost lugs of the volume controls.

3 - the ground wire from the bridge, tailstop, or trem.

4 - one end of the tone capacitor.

5 - the 'sleeve' lug of the output jack.

The rest of the wiring should be easy enough to understand from the drawing.
Don't hesitate to ask, if anything isn't clear.

Good luck,
SYK
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
Sorry for the double post, but I didn't want to clutter up the previous post with this.
Quote by LP Addict
the 1 meg volume pot was a bad idea, and if there are more thna one single coil, or a humbucker, you need .047 capacitors. get 500k for hums, 250k for singles, the 250k is ohms-resistance. you need more resistance for more output.
The resistance of the volume controls has almost nothing to do with the overall output level.

The resistance is selected to match well with the internal inductance of the pickup.
That puts the resonant peak in a usable range, and lessens it's amplitude.

As it happens, the 1Meg pot was a lucky accident for this one.
Dan isn't using a switch.
Because of the wiring necessary without a switch,
the loading on the pickup is far different when only one pickup is used.
Please read the text of my previous posts.

Also you might learn a few things from this guy:
The Secrets of Electric Guitar Pickups by Helmuth E. W. Lemme
I don't agree with all his conclusions,
but it's a better starting point than much of what you've read on the net.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
what I'm asking now, is I don't see where to connect the green wire. I see the red wire goes in the center prong, I don't see on the actual pot where the green wire belongs.

also, I keep seeing that wire go from pot to pot to pot etc. This is the wire that connects everything together, correct? this is a type of wire I can just go buy from radioshack, yes? like... copper wire, no? I just don't want to end up wasting all my money cause I'm an idiot, so I thank you kindly for tolerating my really basic, and stupid questions.

the pots didn't come on a plate - we bought a jack plate, but surely that's not where all the pots go (otherwise... there'd be no place for the knobs. lol) I believe we'll just connect it with wire if my understanding is correct. I will probably have more questions tomorrow and the day after and such. Thanks for the help.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
Okay Dan,

The kind of wire you use is really not critical.
Whatever you find that's easiest to work with.
22 gauge "hook up" wire is what people most use.

The Green and Bare wires from the pickups are connected
to a puddle of solder that you'll make on the back of the pots.
Since the pots and jack aren't all on the same plate,
I've updated the drawing to show the additional wires.

I've also made the wires for the rightmost lugs
of the volume controls more obvious.
They were fine lines in the original.

Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
lol do you make all these pictures yourself? thanks for the help.
Quote by casualty01

BA in Music theory

Quote by waterproofpie
You're welcome.

I just grabbed a J-bass drawing from the Fender site and added to it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
Quote by SK8RDUDE411