I am going to save up around $1000 and split that between an amp and a guitar. I am looking for more of a nu metal/punk sound and wondering what some good choices would be.
Suicide :p

But in all seriousness, maybe something with EMGs? Or like a lower-end ESP.
Quote by death_metaller
**** burzum XD

there i said it...kinda

edit: i do realise they are not here...so i kinda didnt say it...

fail
Roland cube and whatever guitar calls out to you XD, Ibanez are kinda sweet, Stay away from that edge III though 0.o
Member of 7-string Legion
Wields S7320

. .___.
. (O,o)
. /)__)
. ^ ^

. O rly?
look for a used marshall dsl combo and a guitar made of mahogany with a fixed bridge and humbuckers and youll do nu metal just fine, an ibanez rg321 would do you fine
I was looking around and found a schecter tempest. I like the look of the red one and it has a mahogany/maple body and humbuckers.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Schecter-Tempest-Custom-Electric-Guitar?sku=515866

As for the amp I am pretty much clueless. I don't want anything too powerful as I live in an apartment so sound quality is what I want mostly. Something that has good distortion and maybe some extra effects would be nice too.

Really wish I had the money to get that peavey XXX I saw on craigslist a while back.
well the reviews sound good, if you have a place to go test out amps that would be the best thing to do, otherwise look into a peavey valve king or a used crate blue voodoo
Quote by cookdizzle
well the reviews sound good, if you have a place to go test out amps that would be the best thing to do, otherwise look into a peavey valve king or a used crate blue voodoo

I heard somewhere the peavey valveking isn't very durable. I can't remember where I saw that but apparently it is a problem for people. I wouldn't want to spend money on an amp that's gonna crap out before I have had my fun with it.
My vote goes to the Les Paul. These guitars are heavy!!!
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
Quote by lp_dude_2
the tempest is good. and the dsl combo is only 60 or 40 watts, cant remember, so youll get great tone at low volumes

Haha, that would seem to be a bit too powerful for an apartment, but I would definately agree that it would be much better at low volumes.

Why don't you just find a really nice amp (that you can afford) and then buy a pair of headphones for it? That way you have something nice, that will work if you ever take it out of the house, but at home, you'll be the only one that has to hear you playing! XD
I am a lucid dream to the illusionary slumber
Wading in a cesspool of forgotten memory
An insignificant host to the collective subconscious

~Sacred Slumber
Actually I do have a pretty nice pair of headphones. They were $300 so they should be good enough. I am fairly positive I am going with the schecter tempest but am still clueless about the amp. I think I am going to try to find a local store that has some of the ones mentioned here and try them out.
What do you listen to? What sound do you want? Do you want a kornish sound or a slipknot sound or a linken park sound? Explain. Evaluate
Quote by StealthyHayze
What do you listen to? What sound do you want? Do you want a kornish sound or a slipknot sound or a linken park sound? Explain. Evaluate

Haha sorry I suppose that would help. I guess if I could achieve something like a linkin park sound that would be great. However I have been digging paramore a lot lately so something like either of those would be great as I like both guitar sounds.
H0Ws AB0ut A mIcK TH0mPs0N SiGnAtur3 guITaR. If SliPkn0T uSeS iT iS tEh Br00taLz .
Quote by doggy_hat
This chick that looked like shrek ****ed me while I was passed out on xanax. I screamed when I woke up.
Quote by BleedDeathMetal
H0Ws AB0ut A mIcK TH0mPs0N SiGnAtur3 guITaR. If SliPkn0T uSeS iT iS tEh Br00taLz .

I don't like slipknot. I am also not much of a fan for metal.

I figure a Schecter Tempest and Randall RG50TC sound pretty good. Just gotta find em and try em out!
Last edited by Glirk Dient at Feb 20, 2008,
i 100% support the schecter decision mostly cause im a big schecter *****. as far as the amp goes, marshall, now and forever
Quote by philthy335
i 100% support the schecter decision mostly cause im a big schecter *****. as far as the amp goes, marshall, now and forever

What marshall amps would be good for me to try out? I am especially picky about the amp as my guitar won't sound good without a good amp. I don't know an awful lot about amps, except that around $500 I should be going for a tube and I also don't need an awful lot of power from my amp as it won't be for gigging. I do have a pair of headphones if I need them to be but I basically want an amp with a good sounding overdrive. Nice cleans are always a plus but my top priority is a good sounding overdrive.
well, if u want a small tube, get a crate palomino. they seem to be loved here on UG. if the OD isnt good enough get a pedal. but i think its only 5 watts and its a tube
(Main)Gear-v
Jackson Dinky DKMGT
PRS SE Paul Allender
Peavey 6505+ 112
Quote by seizetheday1103
well, if u want a small tube, get a crate palomino. they seem to be loved here on UG. if the OD isnt good enough get a pedal. but i think its only 5 watts and its a tube

Yeah but doesn't that equal about 30 watts or non tube power? Which would make it pretty good for apartment practicing.