Hey, i'm playing a gig on the 29th of Febuary, last gig I played, the main crit I got from fans was that I didn't move around much, while my bassist was standing there doing some ****ing killer headbanging, but I can't seem to do circle headbanging while playing!

I can easily circle headbang when not playing, and I can obviously easily play the riffs that I need to play, but whenever i'm circle headbanging and even start to imagine playing a riff at the same time, the circle headbanging kinda turns into a lame, diagonal-cripled-twitch, I think I automatically start flinging my head diagonal in time with the beat... think im like, subconciously trying to take shortcuts on the whole 'circle' bit.

Anyways, the main riff i'm trying to get circle headbanging sorted on is 'Spit You Out' by Bullet for my Valentine, the intro riff - i'm only playing the extremely simple chords, and can't handle headbanging!

This a common problem? If so, anyone care to give advice? =].

-Cheers
practise, practise, practise and practise that windmilling dude.

its all about making sure you're neck is sore after every practise man
I'll bet there is but i dont know it.

Only pointers i can give you is one of them has to become the secondary movement and thats up to you to decide which its gonna be. Look into articles about singing and playing at the same time you might find that vital piece of info in there.
Have your head hit the bottom of the circle on a downbeat and the top of the circle on an upbeat. Follow the groove of the music.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
1 - I wouldn't recommend circle headbanging, it can lead to injuries and severe headaches.

2 - Don't force it, stage presence should come naturally and people will know if it's forced.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
First, do some normal neck rolls. Slow
Then start playing the riff, slow also
3. speed up until u hit the actual tempo
4. bend over while play, now ur circle handbanging!

Don't know if that helps, I headbang when i play alot, but I never take notice of wat the **** I'm doing, I just focus more on the music than my motions. Which can lead to some funny stories...but thats for another thread.
You don't have to circle headbang...Just do some jerky Metallica-esque up and down headbanging...The intro is pretty slow for a circle headbang, just practice slowly and you could probably ditch the circle once the tempo picks up a little and just go up and down or however you do it.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
You don't have to circle headbang. If people want you to move around more, just practice rock positions. I prefer my knees to be three feet a part, my guitar hanging low, and my mouth wide open to allow for any flames or vomit to come out.

But really, don't worry about circle headbanging if it interrupts your playing. You can try other things.
Signature
just keep practicing it i feel as tho when im doing it im not focusing on my hands but i still do wuts needed
Quote by Azraels March
windmill not circle headbang......

Silence '08er
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by 1339
That's just a pointless comment in a stupid insignifficant attempt to start an arguement over something which doesn't matter.
'To-mar-to' - ****ing - 'To-mai-to'.

dont try to sound intelligent, and no i wasnt trying to start an argument diddnt even cross my mind until u mentioned it, ur just happen to be insecure and took offense to it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headbanging

Quote by BladeSlinger
Silence '08er

ironic comment
Last edited by Azraels March at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by Azraels March
dont try to sound intelligent, and no i wasnt trying to start an argument diddnt even cross my mind until u mentioned it, ur just happen to be insecure and took offense to it

Whether or not you were trying to start an argument is immaterial; was the name "circle headbanging" causing confusion? Could this particular nomenclature be confused with something else? Did you give any helpful advice in any way?

No, so just keep quiet.

Quote by Azraels March
ironic comment

Where's the irony? I see none.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Whether or not you were trying to start an argument is immaterial; was the name "circle headbanging" causing confusion? Could this particular nomenclature be confused with something else? Did you give any helpful advice in any way?

No, so just keep quiet.

Where's the irony? I see none.

its just a comment the fact that you guys are arguing about it makes you quite hippocritical, if your taking such an "immaterial " comment so seriously and offensivly then i'd be more that happy to remove it for you, your blowing such a insignificant comment out of proportion. and yes i did give helpful advice i gave him the proper terminology for it, i myself always found it weird to call it circle head bang. and btw using big words doesn't make you sound smart or intelligent it shows u can use a thesaurus.

yes this perticular set system of terminology could be mixed up and vice versa though probably not often.

anyways since youve shown how much a warrior of the internet you can be ill be more than happy to remove the comment, so i dont have to keep defending myself from mornic replys. <---- used a thesaurs for that one

but i seriously dont give a **** what you call it and really meant nothing much , i just thought id throw in my 2 cents.
Last edited by Azraels March at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Azraels March
its just a comment the fact that you guys are arguing about it makes you quite hippocritical, if your taking such an "immaterial " comment so seriously and offensivly then i'd be more that happy to remove it for you, your blowing such a insignificant comment out of proportion. and yes i did give helpful advice i gave him the proper terminology for it, i myself always found it weird to call it circle head bang. and btw using big words doesn't make you sound smart or intelligent it shows u can use a thesaurus.

yes this perticular set system of terminology could be mixed up and vice versa though probably not often.

anyways since youve shown how much a warrior of the internet you can be ill be more than happy to remove the comment, so i dont have to keep defending myself from mornic replys. <---- used a thesaurs for that one

but i seriously dont give a **** what you call it and really meant nothing much , i just thought id throw in my 2 cents.

Just to put it out there (as you did) you might want to refrain from giving such comments without an explanation that you're only correcting the terminology in a helpful manner because many trolls will do stuff like that to start an argument just like this. Most of the time if someone says something like that and they've joined within 6 months people assume they're trolls...
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Azraels March

1 - I wasn't saying the comment was immaterial, just whether you were trying to start an argument or not.

2 - I didn't take offense, you just posted something that was needless and sounded extremely arrogant in a thread that really didn't need it.

3 - I'll use big words all I like and not only will I use them I will assume that not everyone is so stupid that they need a thesaurus to use a word of more than three syllables and I'll spell them correctly, which word you needed a thesaurus for I don't really want to know but out of curiosity was it " moronic" or "replies"?

4 - What on earth could you get "circle headbanging" mixed up with? What is it other than headbanding in a circle which you claim is officially called "windmilling"?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by BladeSlinger
Just to put it out there (as you did) you might want to refrain from giving such comments without an explanation that you're only correcting the terminology in a helpful manner because many trolls will do stuff like that to start an argument just like this. Most of the time if someone says something like that and they've joined within 6 months people assume they're trolls...

yea that was my bad
Come on to circle headbang...is just instinct...well you can practice to do it...but it should just come natural to your playing...a duh...now why would you ask how to do it...if you can play and headbang separately then just put the two together...its not that hard...now why would you ask how to do that???
Quote by Ich_Bin_Ibanez
Come on to circle headbang...is just instinct...well you can practice to do it...but it should just come natural to your playing...a duh...now why would you ask how to do it...if you can play and headbang separately then just put the two together...its not that hard...now why would you ask how to do that???

Some can do both together naturally some can't. Same with singing.