I bought a pre owned SS amp and often when i turn it off theres a thumping sound, I've only used 1 other 10w practic amp so I dont know whether this is a cause for concern...
Most amps do that if u have the volume up when u turn them on. valve amps wont because they have a standby switch to stop the power amp transformer being damaged. if u turn the volume of ur amp down to zero before u switch it on it wont do it but its nothing to worry about.
Quote by Orethor
Most amps do that if u have the volume up when u turn them on. valve amps wont because they have a standby switch to stop the power amp transformer being damaged. if u turn the volume of ur amp down to zero before u switch it on it wont do it but its nothing to worry about.

Most?

That never happened to me, and I've spent most of my time as an electric guitarist near SS amps.
It's quite common for amps to thump when powered on and off. My MG does it as well as my old Randall RH150 G3.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
It's a popping sound, the same happens if I quickly turn on my stereo speakers and turn them off again.

Ive noticed if I leave my amp on or play it for a couple of minutes and turn it off it doesn't seem to 'pop'
Yeah its nothing to worry about and amp or speaker will do that if you knock it off, Valve amps do it too.... But thats cause the classic 30 has no standby...
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by Tom!!
Yeah its nothing to worry about and amp or speaker will do that if you knock it off, Valve amps do it too.... But thats cause the classic 30 has no standby...

You don't hear it if you turn the volume down before you turn it off! My VJ doesn't have one and it pops if I have the volume up.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
You don't hear it if you turn the volume down before you turn it off! My VJ doesn't have one and it pops if I have the volume up.

I guessed that might be the case from this thread.... Does it really cause any damage by not turning the volume down before turning it off?

I just thought it was nothing more than a tiny annoyance (If that...)
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by Tom!!
I guessed that might be the case from this thread.... Does it really cause any damage by not turning the volume down before turning it off?

I just thought it was nothing more than a tiny annoyance (If that...)

You'll wear out the valves faster is all.
Quote by zgr0826

Quote by JustRooster
Hey man, mine does that too. Those other two are right It's because it a solid state amp.
I think they all do that.