do any rock bands today use them? all i know of from the older decades is Van halen and The who. do they have a place in rock music>?? i was thinking of getting one cuz they sound so frickin cool
Many, many bands use synthesisers. Bands I've seen that used a synth include Korn, Pelican, Death From Above, Mad Capsule Markets and lots lots more.
i was thinking of getting one but dont know if it has a place in rock for me .
Enter Shikari?
Call me Callum

Current gear - 06 MIM Strat, '02 Epiphone Les Paul, Peavey Rockingham, Tanglewood TF8, BLACKSTAR★ HT-5 Combo, EHX Holy Grail, Boss DS-1, Arion SFL-1

Newcastle (and Port Vale)
It definitely has a place in rock - Children of Bodom, Dragonforce, Satyricon, The Kinks, Depeche Mode... To name but a small few bands who employ keyboards, which is basically what a synthesiser is.

And now my not so nice side - Anybody who says any particular instrument has no place in any particular type of music knows nothing at all about music.
Last edited by Aramis at Feb 19, 2008,
Quite a few bands use them. Just on the top of my head: Radiohead use a synth for a few of their songs but I think they're a different sound to what you're looking for.

It had a big place during the 80's but it's sort of made a come back in the past few years with bands using more electronic samples.
electro music alliance

Moon of The Mighty Boosh Appreciation Society PM *Juno* to join!

Quote by The 6th String
I learned to dance by watching amputees have seizures...
Guns N' Roses used 'em too, I believe there was some on November Rain among other songs.
I know there are many bands that use them

but off the top oif my head the ones i can think of are
Depche Mode
The Kinks
and i think The killers
Coheed and Cambria, NIN, The Killers, Red hot chilli peppers, Beck, sonic youth, The shins; etc

All use synth

Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Dream Theater, Symphony X, Children of Bodom

Even Black Metal bands like Behemoth and Dimmu Borgir use them

(Yes I know Behemoth are Blackened Death Metal and I know that some people say Dimmu Borgir aren't Black Metal either. I don't give a crap)

And I have a Roland SH-201
Quote by Kensai
IF YOU TYPE WITH BIG LETTERS YOUR POINT WILL COME ACROSS EASIER!

Seriously wtf was that?
Quote by Sooopo
Guns N' Roses used 'em too, I believe there was some on November Rain among other songs.

Apparently the whole orchestra was synthesised.

I've heard.
They have a HUGE place in rock. Almost all the Power Metal bands use them.
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

yeha, pretty much everyone uses them or has used them.
well, excpet the people who have never used them.
dream theater
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Freezepop, Ladytron, AFI, The Epoxies, Shiny Toy Guns, Bloc Party, Polysics...

It's a little iffy whether some of those bands would be considered rock, but you get the idea.
There's usually a guy in most black metal bands that plays a chord every five minutes or something.

He's usually about 4'3", 82 lbs, and has the gayest corpse paint of anyone in the band.

But yes, it's a shame there is not more synth in music. It will come back, though.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

Quote by Sooopo

isnt that the keyboardist dizzy reed? I love how no one remembers him and yet he is basically part of the 'star' line up of gnr.

Anyway, ya keyboards and synthesizers definetely have a part in rock music. Muse, dragonforce, etc...
Sorry to bring the thread up again but...

Ahem.....Rush/Police/Yes/Tool/Cure/Zappa/Pink Floyd ...list goes on, but to | culkid |, It depends if you want analog or digital. Also depends on your budget, look on Wikipedia. I believe the big staples of Synth was Minimoog, Yamaha DX7, Roland, but theyre is countless others.....Oberheim, Korg (ugh), Alesis, ARP

Hope it helped

You mess with the flag, you're still a spade
A ton of New Wave and post punk bands use them, and new wave and post punk are awesome. Also Devo use then, and Devo=gods, so synths are awesome. I'm getting a Microkorg soon, can't wait.
I'm the same as I was when I was six years old
And oh my god I feel so damn old
I don't really feel anything
Muse use them quite a bit. And Placebo as well. John Frusciante uses em, but really experimentally...
Quote by MoleMania
Apparently the whole orchestra was synthesised.

I've heard.

yeah it was, says in slash's autobiography that he'd never heard a real orchestra sound that good

or something along the lines of that