Page 1 of 2
i was wondering what people think the best tuning would be for black/death metal?
i have drop b currently but im thinkin about movin back up to c...what do u think?
I play death metal and use D standard.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

lower does not equal more metal. you can write many a heavy riff tuned to concert E pitch. D is cool, C is aight. just write whatever feels good. dont think that if yo tune low its gonna instantly make you "more metal"
Gear
ESP Vintage Plus
LTD M-II
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Line 6 Flextone IIIXL
That depends; do you want black metal or death metal, 'cos they completely different.

Black metal is generally in standard (E) as far as I know.

Death metal...whatever you want, Cannibal Corpse tune to Eb, Decapitated tune to C# as far as I know, Necrophagist use D, In Flames used to tune to C and any number of bands use B/7 strings. Make your own mind up.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
i like to use D standard. I like death metal, thrash metal, all kinds. i just don't like doin one finger power chords.
90% of teens say they would cry if they saw the Jonas Brothers about to fall off a skyscraper, if you're one of the 10% who would shout, "JUMP MUTHA*******", put this in your signature

My Last .fm page: http://www.last.fm/user/mcgelie
Quote by spoonylove90
lower does not equal more metal...
Word.

Low notes IMO inspire a different approach to writing, but shouldn't dictate that tuning lower will make what you play more metal.
我会关闭我的耳朵,和我的心; 我会变成一个石头
"I will close my ears and my heart and I will be a stone"
For me its got to be C because its like inbetween heavy and standard. Plus you will find most death metal bands play in drop C or standard D.
Heaviness is in how you play, not your tuning. I've been tuned to C-Standard, and now I'm in Drop- A sharp, but I still play some heavy riffs in standard. Play in whatever you can write in.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
You can go to a lot of tunings. I use Drop-C. Sometimes D Standard. I i know bands that use Drop-B tuning as well. I've also tried Standard C. Or you could try using Drop-Db, or Drop-Cb. I've used Drop-Db before, and it's wasn't too horrible. It just depends on the way you write and the way that you want to play.
Guitars
Epiphone G-400
Ibanez RG350DX
Amps
Marshall MG50DFX
Fender Bronco
Pedals
Dunlop 535Q Crybaby Wah
MXR EVH Flanger
Boss MT-2
Boss NS-2

www.myspace.com/readysetbingo

Quote by Baba O'Riley
SGRocker407 you have some epic hair. Most curly.
Quote by gibson sg!
For me its got to be C because its like inbetween heavy and standard. Plus you will find most death metal bands play in drop C or standard D.

You don't know enough, go away and be quiet. There is no tuning that most death metal bands play in; it ranges from E standard to open C on a seven string and is pretty evenly spaced so just be quiet until you know of what you speak.

Edit: Drop tunings suck, standard tunings ftw!

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Feb 19, 2008,
Different metal bands use different tunings... tuning doesnt realy mean much.

The new trivium album is all in standard....

System Of a Down use Drop Db...

Bullet For My Valentine Use Drop C....

Fall Out Boy use Drop D ( lol =P )

Your tuning doesnt define the style or genre..
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
Quote by Tom!!

Apart from the fact that none of those are metal that was a pretty good post. The perfect illustration of this is open C tuning used by: Led Zeppelin (in one song), John Butler and Strapping Young Lad.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Well the heaviest I play is old Sabbath stuff and I tune to C# for that usually......
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Edit: Drop tunings suck, standard tunings ftw!

+9999999999!

Quote by Tom!!

None of those bands are metal, except for Trivium. Good try though, but not really.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Apart from the fact that none of those are metal that was a pretty good post. The perfect illustration of this is open C tuning used by: Led Zeppelin (in one song), John Butler and Strapping Young Lad.

Yeah, sorry... i tend to enjoy the more "pop metal" type metal bands.... If that at all makes sense.. lol!

So i didnt have better examples to use, ha.

At least someone got where i was comming from.. =P

(And before i get flamed by someone i put Fall Out Boy in as a joke, they are in no shape or form metal. Even to my ear =P)
Gear!

Guitars:
Dean Hardtail Select
Dean ML Platinum,
Tanglewood Odyssey Acoustic.

Amps:
Peavey Classic 30

Other Stuff I Use:
Boss ME-50
Blackstar HT-Distx

http://www.last.fm/user/TomWales/
we play in drop A# and its great for our style since it packs loads of bottom end punch although it comes with the extremly muddy sound at some parts... You can right metal music in any tuning just how you want your sound =]
Quote by Vanquish
None of those bands are metal, except for Trivium. Good try though, but not really.

As much as I hate being elitist, Trivium aren't a metal band, they're a metalcore band who did a thrash album; if Killswitch Engage did a thrash album would they suddenly be metal? No, so Trivium aren't.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
As much as I hate being elitist, Trivium aren't a metal band, they're a metalcore band who did a thrash album; if Killswitch Engage did a thrash album would they suddenly be metal? No, so Trivium aren't.

...since when wasn't thrash metal?

to TS, it all depends on your preferences. my preferences goes: F*ck standard tuning! C or lower is teh way to go preferably B or A#

A#.... mmm....
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe

It works like this: the majority of their albums are metalcore through and through.

Yes they did a thrash album last but their metalcore albums outnumber the thrash by 2 to 1 so they're a metal band. If their next album is thrash then they'll be a confuse band, then another album down the line if they're still playing thrash they'll be a bad thrash band.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Dillinger Escape Plan are heavy as **** and they're in E Standard.

So, it doesn't really matter.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
that's not my point. you don't classify thrash as "metal"? you mean that Metallicas early works aren't metal?

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
d standard, i like to play the same way as standard but have a lower pitch to write in

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by bjoern_swe
that's not my point. you don't classify thrash as "metal"? you mean that Metallicas early works aren't metal?

You're missing the point also:

Ember to Inferno = Metalcore
Ascendancy = Metalcore
The Crusade = Thrash

BUT

Trivium =/= Metal
Trivium = Metalcore.

Get it now?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by bjoern_swe

Que? Didn't understand what this.

Also, I don't tune down often since two of my guitars are Floyd trems (can't be bothered with the hassle... maybe one day I will do it!) but I've got my Les Paul to C# standard to make some death metal riffs.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr

Trivium =/= Metal
Trivium = Metalcore.

Get it now?

THAT is the point I'm looking for! what is the difference between metalcore and metal? isn't metalcore just a branch of the metal genre?

I'm confusing the whole forum. language limits fail me yet again.

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Mwoit
Que? Didn't understand what this.

Also, I don't tune down often since two of my guitars are Floyd trems (can't be bothered with the hassle... maybe one day I will do it!) but I've got my Les Paul to C# standard to make some death metal riffs.

Tuning down does not heavy make.

Opeth tune to standard nearly all of the time.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
i use drop c or b usually.
just depends on the style.
i wanna get a seven string and play in drop A# and drop G#
Quote by bjoern_swe
THAT is the point I'm looking for! what is the difference between metalcore and metal? isn't metalcore just a branch of the metal genre?

I'm confusing the whole forum. language limits fail me yet again.

Metalcore tends to fall more in the hardcore influenced section so this forum (and myself) includes them in hardcore, not metal.

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Metalcore tends to fall more in the hardcore influenced section so this forum (and myself) includes them in hardcore, not metal.

ah. I see

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
You're missing the point also:

Ember to Inferno = Metalcore
Ascendancy = Metalcore
The Crusade = Thrash

BUT

Trivium =/= Metal
Trivium = Metalcore.

Get it now?

I don't. Metalcore is a branch or subgenre of METAL. Elitism in metal needs to stop.

Lamb of God is concidered metalcore, and if they aren't metal, then I don't know what is.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by Tom!!

But no tuning doesn't = metal. You can use anything, i recommend C standard though mmmmmm.
Back on topic for tunings though, you really can use any that you want, but as far as low tunings go, I think D standard is the best, as is drop C. But I personally prefer standard tunings, so when I get another guitar, I'll be keeping it in D standard.
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
You'd be mighty surprised how heavy a good E riff would/can be. Lower never equals heavier...well, it does, but not in my book. Use something ****ing more original than being in a band like the guy above me. "I'm in teh mozt br00talz band evr, wii playz in drop Fb metulll ftw!!!11!"

Get my point?

EDITTTT: to bjoern_swe
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
Quote by Slaytanic1993
You'd be mighty surprised how heavy a good E riff would/can be. Lower never equals heavier...well, it does, but not in my book. Use something ****ing more original than being in a band like the guy above me. "I'm in teh mozt br00talz band evr, wii playz in drop Fb metulll ftw!!!11!"

Get my point?

EDITTTT: to bjoern_swe

yes I do. You can write some heavy shizzle in standard tuning. AJFA is one of the heaviest album written (in my book) and it's all standard tuning. But, really low tunings has a special sound that standard won't come close to. Soilwork, In Flames or Scar Symmetry wouldn't be the same in standard och drop-d. it just wouldn't.

Imagine The Glass Prison in standard... brr...

Edit: and if you think A# are low, talk to Meshuggah

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Quote by bjoern_swe
yes I do. You can write some heavy shizzle in standard tuning. AJFA is one of the heaviest album written (in my book) and it's all standard tuning. But, really low tunings has a special sound that standard won't come close to. Soilwork, In Flames or Scar Symmetry wouldn't be the same in standard och drop-d. it just wouldn't.

don't get me started on Meshuggah...if you wanna know what the hell I'm talking about look up my thread on em "Meshuggah...?"
R.I.P. Charles Michael "Evil Chuck" Schuldiner
B. May 13 1967 - D. December 13 2001

Quote by eggsandham2
cuz ppl hate how power metal they are cuz they think its "gay" or w.e, which is immature and dirogitory
so many low tunings im standard i play metallica maiden 'deth, just the standard tunin bands but might get a guitar cheap if i find 1 for loweer tutnings, but im mainly e standard
Quote by bjoern_swe

Glass Prison in standard tuning? Horror indeed... and lol at meshuggah, though i'm no fan of theirs. what tuning are they in these days? F#-B-E-A-D-G-B-e (8-string standard)? or are they drop-tuning their 8-strings now? lol... ebeadgbe.
i mostly play in e or d standard, with most of my original works in d. i did a song in drop c once because i ended up needing the low c in a fingerpicked passage, but that wasn't how i started off. occaisionally i'll mess with drop d, but i try to avoid it because then you end up doing powerchord riffs. it's too easy to play simple powerchords in drop tunings and that's the fastest way to sound like everyone else in metal. also, i like to give the bass some room to breathe so i never go lower than c, but that's just me.
either all down 1 step- d standard, or 2 steps- c standard. or just use a 7 string or baritone guitar for a low B
I had to get a replacement after I broke my G string. What a pain in the ass!
Page 1 of 2