So I considered replacing the default pickups from my LP with EMG-85 (neck) and EMG-81 (bridge)

But I thought, would it be worth the money..
Right now I have two passive pickups, but I want a more 'controlled' sound..

But my problem is, since my current guitar sounds really warm, will it keep the warmth it has right now?

Someone plz help me out =\
Nothing is true. Everything is permitted.
go with the seymour duncan jb and the jazz coz u will have to route a bit out for the battery
Quote by MisterChainsaw
if you're looking for a good clean tone.

use a 85 in the neck and a 60 in the bridge
The 60 has a good clean tone
the 85 has ungodly distortion tone.

Well mostly I'm curious to if it's worth the money
for a first tube am i would go down to a music shop whos has the orannge tiny terror and ttry it out lol
i recently put those pick ups into a jackson flying v and i can't say enough about em'. the stock pick ups in the jackson were good to begin with but with the emg's, it truely makes a "flying v" come alive. i can't imagine something worse would happen with your guitar. not meaning worse a bad thing, but, if you're not sure then don't go through with it until you've tried a guitar with what you are looking for. sound advice?
Seymour duncan blackouts.

Active pickups that keep your guitar's tone. Better then EMGs I hear.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger
You could always just sleep beside your refrigerator.

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
- Fender 'Lite Ash' Stratocaster
- Fender '72 Deluxe Telecaster
- Arbiter LP Jr. Doublecut
Amp:
- Laney VC15

'72 Tele Appreciation Group
RIP DIO
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Exactly, you HEAR.

Let's keep the Blackout hubbub to personal experience. I think I've seen 100 recommendations in the last week from people who have never even tried them.

Oh. You have a point there. I can only say that it may be worthwhile [for the thread starter] to check out this page, so then the thread starter can hear them compared to passive pickups that maintain the guitars tone and see how well the blackouts are.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Quote by forsaknazrael
^Except SD doesn't tell you what guitar or amp they're using, which make a bigger difference than the pickups, so it's pretty useless.

Although you have a perfect point, the point I'm making is that it is a good way to see if the blackouts still have the same tone as the passives. Otherwise, if not, then they're probably not much different from EMGs.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Yeah.
What idiot ruins a les paul (epi les pauls are still good) with emgs then plays it through a not-go-good amp? IMO a better amp and a better pedal or two (at least an EQ) would completely improve the tone and sound.
Sunn O))):
Quote by Doppelgänger

Guitar:
- Ibanez S670FM w/ JB
Amp:
- Laney VC15

RIP DIO
Ok I'm sorry I haven't updated my UG profile for a while

I sold my Line6 Spider, and bought a Vox AD100VTH (look at my profile for pics if you're not familiar with it...)
Quote by hans the lefty
go with the seymour duncan jb and the jazz coz u will have to route a bit out for the battery

you can put the battery in the cavity with the volume and tone pots.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by Simsimius
Yeah.
What idiot ruins a les paul (epi les pauls are still good) with emgs then plays it through a not-go-good amp? IMO a better amp and a better pedal or two (at least an EQ) would completely improve the tone and sound.

The EMGs in my LP sound terrific with my Vox. Not so great with the Hartke, but ****ing fantastic through the Vox.

You can really hear the difference between with the original buckers and the EMGs. Brightness, clarity.... And on the clean settings, they even get pushed a little into OD. I really like them. I run the 85 in the bridge and the 81 in the neck, because the 85 is just too bassy for the neck.

The EMGs will not reach their full potential with the Vox, however. And I'm likely going to get a Blackheart Little Giant in the near future. We'll see, fellas.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
Quote by GnGonzalesjoe
you can put the battery in the cavity with the volume and tone pots.

Yes. I don't know why everything thinks you have to route the body out just to put in a 9v. Theres space with the pots!
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by Vanquish
Yes. I don't know why everything thinks you have to route the body out just to put in a 9v. Theres space with the pots!

I actually have my LP set up to go back and forth between 9 and 18v, and I have plenty of space for both 9v batteries in the control cavity. I even put a piece of the packing foam from the EMG package in there to separate the batts from the pots.
Epiphone Les Paul goldtop (EMG 81/85)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Fender Telecaster MIM
Epiphone SG Special
Jay Turser JT200 Serpent (GFS Crunchy Rails/Crunchy Pat)
Dean V-Coustic
Ovation Celebrity
Bugera 333-212
Crate Blue Voodoo 120H
^ i did the same thing and 85 neck and 81 bridge is the clasic setup for metal but dont let anyone tell you that you are limmited to only hard rock or metal! keith urban uses a emg 85 in his Telecaster and he does country. so dont beleave the emg haters. and i did have sd blackouts for 3 days and they are tone suckers way too steril for me! they are just a poor copy of emgs. then you wonder why slipknots Mick Tompson went to them to make his tone realy suck ballS!
Epi Les Pau Quilt topl~Emg 81/85 Ghs 11's(1/2 step drop)
Charvel Model 4 EMG 81/SA/85 DR 10's (standard){for sale}
Peavey Deuce VT
Marshall JCM 800
Dunlop ZW-45 wylde wah
Dunlop RotoVibe
MXR ZW-44 Overdrive
Boss CE-5 Chorus
Quote by Vanquish

I bought a used gibson les paul standard with emg 85/81s in it and the battery is in the cavity with some foam wrapped around it andd a piece of tape on it it works fine. It is worth the price emgs are a lot better for almost anything even the cleans are pretty good.