Page 1 of 2
Time Travel

so somewhere in Russia these two scientist are recreating a mini big bang and they think it could cause a rip in the space time continuum, making it the first attempt of time travel.

Now saying that this works, in may when they test it, that would mean in the future time travel would be very possible right?

so what if 48 hours ago we were 20 years older until someone broke the continuum came back and now I'm 19 again and have no clue time travel is even possible.

Put that in your pipe and Smoke It!

EDIT: ok so Im trying hard to think this through

theres is only ONE timeline and we're living it right now! 2008 is the onlt time right now but thats not to say that there are people form the future living in our timeline this very moment because it would disrupt our timeline but rather the future and the very place they came from.

so, we will never notice when these breaks in the continuum happen because we're not the travelers we're just living out our lives, there wont be point in time where everything disappears in a flash of light because time has to happen to create all things around us, meaning we all have a past but theres no telling if our past has been tampered with.

Im still thinking all this through but you know there will be more to come...

Edit:

so while your reading this I say STOP! in that moment that you blinked thousands of years we're lived out in the future and thousands of years were lived out in the past until someone picked up where we left off and continued our paused timeline.In the split second you blinked you never noticed that our timeline was put to halt for 10,000 centuries that where lived out scattered all across time and to you its just another inhale.

feel free to add your own thoughts on the subject
I know what you mean I get it, and I thought this over myself like 100 times and it makes sense...
well if it has happened i don't see why i should care. everything is in a constant state of being. to reverse that state i think is not possible.
String theory, M-theory, parallel universes, parallel timelines, etc. Go research them.
Quote by denizenz
I'll logic you right in the thyroid.

Art & Lutherie
Not time travel as we know it.

These wormholes would be mind-bogglingly short lived. As in, fractions of seconds so small you'd have to catch a train to reach the other end of the fraction. Which means the only reasonable thing we'd be able to send/recieve is the odd sub-atomic particle.

And we can't go "backwards" in time. As far as physics is concerned, the past is unreachable. If it were possible, people from the future could "return" only to the point at which we created the wormhole. A tear in a piece of fabric is a tear, but it cannot be moved forwards or backwards.

And I believe you mean CERN on the Swiss-French border?
Time Travel could be possible, but I don't think its possbile to change the time you live in but change the history of a smiliar timeline

My thoughts are

every moment is broken up into different univeres where things haven't happend yet... Like its 2008 in ours, but somewhere else in time its 1880 and if we go back to that time and change something you we change what happens when that year changes into 2008... But Our 2008 hasn't changed at all. If you don't understand it, I understand because I don't get it either...
When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all
i have tought the same, BUT, see, if time travel could actually be possible, we would reach a time where almost anyone could get a time machine and so any punk would say, hey lets go back o 2008 and say we are from the future and bring our lazers and stuff!!!, so therefore, i think THIS type of time travel will never exist, or well exist but only for a small fraction of time
if these tears in time existed but could not be moved then i guess this part of my childhood is wrecked.
wow holy ****, this crap is deep, itshard to imagine any of this, cos time trsvel could already have been accomplished yet, all was lost when they time traveled back and would continue on without knowing they had already accom[lished it, so wouldnt time travel just cause a loop effect in our time line?

EDIT: i think we should just leave it alone and move on, messing up history for the "better" will probably just cause more trouble than its worth
WORLDS BIGGEST TROLL FONT]
Last edited by xtremeloozer at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by NightEmbers
Thank you Sir. I believe thats exactly what I was looking for

I suggest watching this, for anyone just starting to understand the stuff:

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/elegant/program.html

and buy the book, which is 16 times more comprehensive:

http://www.amazon.com/Elegant-Universe-Superstrings-Dimensions-Ultimate/dp/0375708111
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
well your not really adding in the possibility that time is solidified or not. If time is solidified then that would mean you could only change the future and no matter what you did in the past everything would come out eventually the same as time corrects self. for example, you can't go back and save Lincoln because even if john wilks booth didn't shoot him, he would die some other way, he's doomed.

now theres that theory, and another one i was thinking of where if you travel back into past and change things, then in essence you would create an alternate time line that would run parallel to ours the "original time line."
Quote by henza_x
errr.. people don't get paid to tab out songs.. its just by ear transcriptions most of the time, why don't you do it yourself?

"coz i can't"

then shut the **** up

Quote by MentalityBand
I would smile at that, but y'know...court order...
Quote by BetrayingChinO
well your not really adding in the possibility that time is solidified or not. If time is solidified then that would mean you could only change the future and no matter what you did in the past everything would come out eventually the same as time corrects self. for example, you can't go back and save Lincoln because even if john wilks booth didn't shoot him, he would die some other way, he's doomed.

now theres that theory, and another one i was thinking of where if you travel back into past and change things, then in essence you would create an alternate time line that would run parallel to ours the "original time line."

even if we could only change the future, isn't the future just going to become the past, and what will be in the future if there is no future yet, what if u go forward in time and u are alone, no one is there because no one has made to that part of time yet, or would u just sit in a time box or w.e, then just magically wake up and it be the future, but it turns out all u didwas skip a part of life it self
Quote by xtremeloozer
even if we could only change the future, isn't the future just going to become the past, and what will be in the future if there is no future yet, what if u go forward in time and u are alone, no one is there because no one has made to that part of time yet, or would u just sit in a time box or w.e, then just magically wake up and it be the future, but it turns out all u didwas skip a part of life it self

ohh I like that, took a few times to understand what you meant but thats a good thought,

BTW Im off to get the elegant universe =]
Quote by xtremeloozer

what you said doesn't make any sense time doesn't stop, time travel is basically like hitting rewind or fast forward, wether your there or not people are going to live out there lives and things will change. by time traveling you remove yourself from that point of the time and any future part of it too. So if i travel 50 years in to the future there will still be people there, if we haven't destroyed ourselves via WW3 and the future can be changed by altering the present obviously past, present, and future. you get 3 states of time to mess around with. for example if you go into future by like 50 years and see that an evil dictator has taken over the world 12 years ago. you could go back 13 years or even to present day or your time and kill that person. That would effectively change the future.
Quote by henza_x
errr.. people don't get paid to tab out songs.. its just by ear transcriptions most of the time, why don't you do it yourself?

"coz i can't"

then shut the **** up

Quote by MentalityBand
I would smile at that, but y'know...court order...
Quote by BetrayingChinO
what you said doesn't make any sense time doesn't stop, time travel is basically like hitting rewind or fast forward, wether your there or not people are going to live out there lives and things will change. by time traveling you remove yourself from that point of the time and any future part of it too. So if i travel 50 years in to the future there will still be people there, if we haven't destroyed ourselves via WW3 and the future can be changed by altering the present obviously past, present, and future. you get 3 states of time to mess around with. for example if you go into future by like 50 years and see that an evil dictator has taken over the world 12 years ago. you could go back 13 years or even to present day or your time and kill that person. That would effectively change the future.

i see what ur saying, i used to think the same way u do, but i guess i think about it so much ive just gotten a much broader opinion on what all happend. but how can there be a future if we havnet had a future yet, their is also the idea that everyday repeats its self, like say march4 is one day that repeats itself everyday, same with every other day of the year, but then theres your spiritual mindset tpye thing, and as it strikes midnight of each day, that spirit will pass on to the body of the next day, and so on..i know this is probably hard to make sense of, but i have trouble explaining my thoughts through words
Apparently we can only get people visiting us from the future from the point at which we 'create time travel'. Also, experiences and memories do not function inside the timeline so thats all wierded up.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
In a linear-time model, time travel is impossible because of the following contradiction:

Say you build a time machine and go back in time to give yourself plans to build the time machine, that nullifies the linear-time model because it means that if the younger you is supposed to get plans from an older you, and time is linear, that also implies that you who built the time machine must have gotten plans from an older yourself (which you didn't, because you built the time machine). Get it?

I'm basically saying that you can't start the chain of recursion. Recursion is already inherent in the system or time travel is not possible.
Quote by denizenz

Art & Lutherie
Quote by darkstar2466
In a linear-time model, time travel is impossible because of the following contradiction:

Say you build a time machine and go back in time to give yourself plans to build the time machine, that nullifies the linear-time model because it means that if the younger you is supposed to get plans from an older you, and time is linear, that also implies that you who built the time machine must have gotten plans from an older yourself (which you didn't, because you built the time machine). Get it?

I'm basically saying that you can't start the chain of recursion. Recursion is already inherent in the system or time travel is not possible.

And how does that explain the time-travelling in the terminator films?
Quote by darkstar2466

thats not a bad idea, but how can you get plans from you in the future, when youve never had an encounter with your future self before, say like this past week went by all normal and you just moved on, then 20 years later you decide to go back in time and meet yourself at that same normal week, would that just mess up the time you had between the encounter and the time to when u went back in time, or would u get stuck in the loop effect, of having meet ur future self, then going through life and repeating this cycle, then it continues on and on of that cycle, idk i find these type things hard to explain greatly
Time is a man made measuring tool. Fantasy fun.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Also the same as, what if you went back in time and killed your younger self. blah blah how did you go grow up to kill yourself, you wouldn't so you grew up and went back to kill yourself - repeat infinity. But there are ways around that contradiction.
Because theoretically the time travel is like walking across a bridge to the past.

"Present" >>>>>
| |
"Past" >>>>>

or

"Present" >>>>>
| |
"Past" <<<<<<

There are two ways to avoid/solve the paradox but still being able to participate in time travel. One is that we can go back and participate in a past causal chain but only in the way that already happened and the other way is to go back merely as an observer.

This link shows basically how to deal with the paradox and ways around it - YaY!

Also taking a look at 'time arrows' explains a lot about the way time moves. Read Hawkins' book "The theory of everything" it rocks.
Member of the 'Dr.Cox is my Mentor' group

Quote by Miggy01
I was kicking a balloon around, and kicked the back of my other foot.
I broke my toe as a result.
These wormholes might lead to a tangent timeline, where you'd be followed around by a dude wearing a rabbit costume who would make you perform acts to make the best future possible, but ultimately it will collapse, bringing you right back to the moment in time where you die, rendering the last hour and a half of the film completely pointless.
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Wormholes would have nothing to do with time I think, but only with space....
Like, a wormhole is a way of travelling through the 4th dimension to the same 3d-space you were before, and could only be done if the 3d-space was non-euclidean in comparison with that 4d-space....

I personally think time travel is not possible....
time is set in solid stone.... even if you could go back I doubt you could change anything...

You could try to prevent the Lincoln assassination, and push booth off the balcony on accident.
Mesa Single Rectifier
Marshall 1960A vintage
Rg3exfm1 w/ EMG 85/81
Big Baby Taylor Acoustic
Ibanez TS808
I thought you could only travel forward in time because a wormhole will make you move really fast to a certain point on a timeline, therefore you don't age any and everything else around you ages at a normal rate. It's like if you were to go really fast on a space ship, then turn around and come back, you would age slower then the people who stayed put. But I haven't done much research on this kind of thing, so I'm not for sure.
*roll it up light it up smoke it up inhale exhale* </////////#~~~~
i luf da grammer knotziez

gear: (i wanna fit in)
ibanez tbx150r
phase90
lil big muff pi
weeping demon
esp viper100
boss chorus
other junk
Quote by donkey the wise
Well played Sir sFsKroniK
yay m special
They won't succeed. If they did, then people in the future would be able to visit here, and so we would already know they'd succeeeded.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by killadelphia222
So, if time travel were availible in the future, wouldn't have people came back to stop things such as the depression, holocaust or 9/11?

The depression couldn't be stopped, it had to happen sooner or later. 9/11 would probably replaced with something equally bad or possibly worse.

The holocaust could be prevented, probably. You'd just have to kill Hitler.
I play by my own rules. And I have one rule; There are no rules... but if there are, they're there to be broken. Even this one.

Confused? Good.

Quote by CrucialGutchman
Sigs are wastes of my precious screen space.

^ Irony

Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
LET ME HUMP YOU DAMMIT
Quote by break-me-in
The holocaust could be prevented, probably. You'd just have to kill Hitler.

By doing that you would threaten your own existance. Even if you did survive you would most likely destroy any hope of you going back in time because you would alter your own history. Therefore it would cancel itself out and history would take it's original course surely?

Gah time travel is way too confusing!
Quote by 6079 Smith W
I thought you could only travel forward in time because a wormhole will make you move really fast to a certain point on a timeline, therefore you don't age any and everything else around you ages at a normal rate. It's like if you were to go really fast on a space ship, then turn around and come back, you would age slower then the people who stayed put. But I haven't done much research on this kind of thing, so I'm not for sure.

Well, one always travels forward in time

And that is called relativity, and no, it doesn't mean one travels to the future. And no, no wormholes involved, only speed (or velocity)....

Wormholes are only to make you travel through the 4th dimension I think and reach a certain destination faster, but not in the speed factor of faster, but in less time. Only because the distance from the wormhole is lesser than the actual distance you have to travel.
I personally think time travel is possible through the mind. I think the mind is alot stronger than anyone realizes. I believe thats what deja vu is.

The way i see it is (just like in slaughterhouse five) all time runs parrallel to each other. If any of you have read that book you might understand what i'm getting at. I think you can go ahead in time, or very rarely behind in time, but not through wormholes or time machines. Its just your minds ability to jump between parallels of time. Except when you jump a parellel you never notice it, therefore you wouldnt be able to stop things like the holocaust or 9/11 or whatever. When you jump those parallels you will be living your life just like you normally would because your knowledge of the past or the future does not stay in your mind. Jumping parallels in time would be to complex to keep that kind of information in your mind, except in some cases, which results in deja vu.
Quote by WaggyPlank
so yeah, now i have poop floating around in my ballsack.
Quote by Kumanji
Not time travel as we know it.

These wormholes would be mind-bogglingly short lived. As in, fractions of seconds so small you'd have to catch a train to reach the other end of the fraction. Which means the only reasonable thing we'd be able to send/recieve is the odd sub-atomic particle.

And we can't go "backwards" in time. As far as physics is concerned, the past is unreachable. If it were possible, people from the future could "return" only to the point at which we created the wormhole. A tear in a piece of fabric is a tear, but it cannot be moved forwards or backwards.

And I believe you mean CERN on the Swiss-French border?

I disagree with the not being able to go to the past part...

If time travel is possible... then people from the past... which would be now, in the future would be able to go to then... which would be the future. That means that people now would be able to travel ahead. But if it's possible to travel ahead, then the people in the future will have met those who have travelled to then. If this was organized, then people from the future could take the same path as those coming from the past, which might send them to the past... right?
Plays:
Schecter Hellraiser Solo-6 FR Limited
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
'66 Hagstrom Viking I (customized)
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
So if there are parallels of time...then the time parallel to this time would be the same... would it not? So if you were to jump to the nearest parallel time... you wouldn't change.

Perhaps it's been done before unsuccessfully like I just described.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL
It would get screwy.

If they went into the future to show them time travel, they'd travel back in time and give it to us, or cause something else to happen.

Also, consider this:

Lets say someone discovers time-travel, and goes into the past and kills themself for whatever reason.

If the death held true, nobody would have come back to kill him, because they wouldn't exist, and he would live, but then try to go back in time and repeat. It'd never end.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
When this baby hits 88 Miles Per Hour, you're gonna see some serious sh*t.

Those are my words of wisdom.

I'll have a logical post soon.
██████████████████████████████
If he killed himself when he went back in time from the future, he wouldn't have ever went back in time in the first place.
Plays:
Parker Mojo Fly
Ibanez SZR 720
Tanglewood Evolution
LaPatrie Etude DEMO
SGR C-7 (defretted)
Agile Intrepid 828

Amp, Pedals:
Laney LV300
BOSS RC-20XL