What other scales can I use to get 80s Speed Metal sound.. it gets kinda boring just playing around with the pentatonic scale.. but ye any suggestions? Cheers
Ibanez RG350DX
Randall RH150G3
Harley Benton Cab (Shut up.)
Roland Cube 60
Dunlop Wah Wah Pedal.

mmmmm

Guitar fund - £300/???
Help me out guise!!1!
So much of the 80s shred stuff is based on natural minor with a major V chord (derived from harmonic minor). The classic 80s lick is arpegiating Am F G, pure natural minor. Throw an E chord in there and you've got and shredtastic 80s metal.

Quote by Eirien
Major scale. The 80s were all about the major scale.

Not really. Sure, a lot of the pop-metal and radio-friendly hair bands played in major keys, but the heavier stuff, whether hair metal and outright shred, is usually going to be in a minor key.
Quote by bangoodcharlote

Not really. Sure, a lot of the pop-metal and radio-friendly hair bands played in major keys, but the heavier stuff, whether hair metal and outright shred, is usually going to be in a minor key.

Yeah, that's the kind of stuff i thought he was talking about. When I think 80s those are the sounds that first pop into my head. But I grew up in the 90s so maybe I don't have the best viewpoint.
i use the be-bop scale. its pretty cool. sounds really 80s too
Quote by MakinLattes
dwelling on past mishaps is for the weak. you must stride into the future, unabashed and prepared to fuck up yet again.