ok...here's the thing.
I play electric,acoustic and classical guitar(hate the classic xD) and I rly rly rly wish to sing. BUT...I can sing...everything sounds cool but my voice sucks...it's just...strange...idk...maby I don't know how to sing or something but it just sucks...everythings sounds okay with the intonation and stuff...only the voice is the one that sucks.
You guys have any advice for me?
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Just sing a TON to strengthen your vocal chords. Also, it helps to do ab exercises and to learn how to breathe correctly and that will expand your range.

But the keyword is just PRACTICE. Figure out your vocal range and just sing. a lot.
I sing like...1-2 hours a day...depends on how much time i'm alone at home :P
and...would you be so kind and tell me where to find any good exercises?
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
I spend more time getting my muscles strengthened for singing than I do actually practicing my voice. But that's just me, and I'm an amateur singer. I'm more of an instrumentalist. But what I do is I do a lot of five count crunches ( go up 5, hold 5, go down 5, rinse and repeat)

Just little things like that.

And be sure to breathe correctly. When you breathe, your stomach should go out and your chest should not move at all. If it does, you're not breathing right and you aren't taking in your full lung capacity.
I'm in the same boat. I just figure, the more I sing the better I'll get. I used to sound absolutely god-awful. Now I sound sub-par. I'm hoping one day I'll reach passable.
^^^ exactly. It's just like anything else you do. The more time and effort you put into it (keyword AND there.... practicing correctly is key) the better you'll get.

Just keep at it and good luck man!
Peace
Find your range.

My voice sucked for a long time because I was singing Ozzy, Phil Anselmo, etc. I'm a tenor, so I'm more of a Johnny Cash style singer than a Sebastian Bach (Skid Row) kind of singer -

though I did an awesome Skid Row voice in 4th grade.

Once my balls dropped, there went the Skid Row voice (what's that say for Skid Row, huh?)

Sing from your diaphragm. The quickest way to find that is just try to sing lower and lower. You'll get to a point where you don't feel you can do it anymore and you will have to sing from the diaphragm to do it. Suddenly your range will be unlocked.

But you need to find out if you are a Soprano (probably not), Alto (like Phil Anselmo) or Tenor like Johnny Cash. Or you might just be a bass!

Good luck.
"Virtually no one who is taught Relativity continues to read the Bible."

keep practicing and I'm sure you'll improve, maybe even get good, but remember some people just have a terrible timbre to their voices even if they have perfect technique and intonation. Of course you can always pass terrible off as "unique" if you find the right musical context for it.
Quote by Guitar_Jester
Abrakadabra Alakazam! ...Done. You can sing.

...that's not too helpful, is it?

BTT: I think it's not of much use to ask for singing lessons here. You should go and find a teacher. He can show you your mistakes (or your success ^^) right away. It's better, believe me
Post some clips of you singing, and we'll see what you could change. Me for example, I used to sound really emo/whiney on higher notes (which I hated), so I studied some singers who did it right (guys like Paul Stanley, Matt Barlow) and learned how to open up and lower the adams apple and so on, and now I have a much fuller tone on high notes, not to mention I can go up to an E over high C whereas I used to only be able to reach a G below high C.

I also second the "sing a lot" advice, you know there are little girls who walk around all day singing and are extremely good at 10 or something. It's all about experience.
Quote by dullsilver_mike
keep practicing and I'm sure you'll improve, maybe even get good, but remember some people just have a terrible timbre to their voices even if they have perfect technique and intonation. Of course you can always pass terrible off as "unique" if you find the right musical context for it.

I don't know man. I know a guy who used to be really into Robbie Williams, and ended up sounding just like him. Then his range improved a bit and he started singing harder songs like Bon Jovi stuff, and now he sounds so much like Jon Bon Jovi instead. I've gone through the same thing, I think the songs you sing help shape the way you sing as you're subconciously imitating the singer who sung the song in the first place. So the thing about terrible timbre, I don't really believe in it. Some people may just need more time to sound good.

Sorry for double posting.
Quote by Aziraphale
I don't know man. I know a guy who used to be really into Robbie Williams, and ended up sounding just like him. Then his range improved a bit and he started singing harder songs like Bon Jovi stuff, and now he sounds so much like Jon Bon Jovi instead. I've gone through the same thing, I think the songs you sing help shape the way you sing as you're subconciously imitating the singer who sung the song in the first place. So the thing about terrible timbre, I don't really believe in it. Some people may just need more time to sound good.

Sorry for double posting.

You're right, that's true to a pretty good extent. And as you train and expand your range it's more likely you'll find a range that you sound particularly good in. I think that there are some limits to who we can sound like though (at least without sounding like a cheesy impression).
how can I find out what range I am in?
3. You're reading now.
6. You just checked it.

Quote by hawk_kst
Eirien posted the link to the vocal thread. It's not there just to look pretty. Go there. Read the first post. It contains links to SingingSabre's articles. Read them. Pay particular attention to posts by SingingSabre, Justin Fraser, axemanchris and me. Determine your highest note and lowest note. Then search for where I posted a chart of voice types. It's in there somewhere. If you post clips like someone suggested, the place to do it is the vocal thread.

Mods, time to close the thread.
Brevity is the soul of lingerie.
-Dorothy Parker