Page 3 of 8
Quote by TheFigurehead
I'm just starting to like the Smiths. I would be listening to Slacker.com radio and some Smiths songs would come up and I couldn't stand Morrissey's voice, but after a while I think they are alright. I still don't much care for his voice, plus the fact that he does the same kind of things with his voice in lots of their songs, but Johnny Marr's guitar playing is wicked. I'll probably buy one of their albums soon.

I agree. Marr's brilliance makes up for Morrisey's annoying voice.
i've never really found morrissey's voice to be annoying. i've always found it to be quite charming.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
Morrissey has a beautiful voice. Point blank.
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
scored 'rank' for 3 bucks a few days ago. pretty good, but i wish 'i know it's over' included the whole song from the start. and i love how morrissey hrrrrrolls his R's.
I really enjoy How Soon is Now?

The fact that it was the theme for charmed took a bit of the shine off it though.
I suppose Morrisey's voice is pretty decent. I like the way his charming voice contrasts with his lyrics.
Quote by K-Lizzle
Morrissey has a beautiful voice. Point blank.

this.

there is something comforting about it.
I finally got into the Smiths. They were always the band I skipped over, thinking they were boring/overrated. I had downloaded their first album a long while back and thought it as just mediocre and proved my previous thought was right. So flash back to a few weeks back, I downloaded The Queen is Dead and I loved most of the tracks, some but not all. Then a few days later, I loved every track and now I just got Louder Than Bombs and I'm hooked. I love this band!

Quote by Doolittle
I finally got into the Smiths. They were always the band I skipped over, thinking they were boring/overrated. I had downloaded their first album a long while back and thought it as just mediocre and proved my previous thought was right. So flash back to a few weeks back, I downloaded The Queen is Dead and I loved most of the tracks, some but not all. Then a few days later, I loved every track and now I just got Louder Than Bombs and I'm hooked. I love this band!
The Queens Is Dead is absolutely gorgeous. Heaps better than their self-titled debut. The production on that album really bothers me. The drums are so louds and reverbed, especially the snare drum, which makes the second half of Miserable Lie unbearably annoying. There are some good tracks, but overall the production kind of ruins that album for me.

And yes, Morrissey has an absolutely wonderful voice.
the production is pretty shoddy on the self titled. but i still love that record regardless.
Quote by Jaret Reddick
wake me up when september ends makes me cry evry time!

emos forever
:-(
I've finally gotten into the Smiths, a year and a half after my girlfriend took me to see Morrissey live (which was awesome). I completely adore them, they're fantastic. I wish I had gotten into them sooner. Aforementioned girlfriend also gave me one of her old Smiths t-shirts which is one of my new favorites.

As for Morrissey's voice, I suppose I see how it could be grating, but I find it brilliantly flamboyant and theatrical.
DOWN&OUT
Quote by somewhat_here
and i love how morrissey hrrrrrolls his R's.

Con, frrrrrront, what you are afraid of.

I see what you mean.
I got into them last year when I download their 4 albums and then bought them. The first 2 songs I ever heard were How Soon Is Now? and This Charming Man (the latter of which prepared me more for their overall 'sound', as opposed to the complete contrast of the former).

As far as favourite albums go, I'd have to say Meat Is Murder every time. There's something downright sinister about how the chords are voiced on the songs, and Morrissey's wailing vox. Hell, the whole album is sinister and foreboding from start to finish...

The Headmaster Ritual keeps shifting between ominous and happy-jangly (what chords/sequences are they?), Barbarism Begins At Home has Morrissey barking like a dog(?!), and then you have the downright depressing atmosphere of the title track to close things off; with possibly the most unnerving lyrics I've ever heard in a song – "The meat in your mooouuuth as you saaaavour the flaaaavour of muuuuuurderrrrrr". Those poor moo'ing cows indeed.

Genius. I wish they would've made more stuff into the '90s (I tried one Morrissey solo album and didn't really dig it).
Last edited by DaFjory at Oct 2, 2008,
Been listening to The Smiths alot lately and i now think 'Bigmouth Strikes Again' has the best chord progression ever! Anyone agree?
Heck yes! The Smiths are amazing.

<3

"Oh, you handsome devil."
I love the Smiths too. Marr in my eyes is one of the greats. How soon is now? - Definetly my favourite. This charming man and Heaven knows im miserable are also amazing songs IMO
Lots of people who complained about us receiving the MBE received theirs for heroism in the war -- for killing people. We received ours for entertaining other people. I'd say we deserve ours more.
~ John Lennon

how do people hate morrissey's voice? i don't get it...it is so pleasing.
I do think his voice is an acquired taste. I heard "Shakespeare's Sister" when I was nine or so and thought he sounded absolutely hideous. Then again, at nine, I thought the Spice Girls were the pinnacle of pop perfection so it's arguable how much I knew about music.
wait...they aren't?

but ever since the first time i heard "How Soon Is Now?" i thought that the vocals were probably the strongest aspect of the band. maybe i am just an oddity.
One listen to the vocal runs in "Pretty Girls Make Graves" should prove that as well.

In other news, Moz looks pretty hawt on the cover of that new Smiths compilation. It's gotta be the glasses.
Moz looks hawt holding that baby on the cover of his new album. actually, it mostly looks awkward.
Phew. I was afraid I had gotten too far out of the loop.
i got my friend the /08 smiths singles comp for christmas; now i'm even considering buying it. what is it about this band that people still buy these "best of's?"
because it is all so good? because the new greatest hits album has an unreleased song on it?
what song is that? internets weren't too clear on it. i didn't realize there's a 2 disc one of it; i'd buy that just for 'jeane.'
Quote by K-Lizzle
That album dropped already?

I have it, so it's about.

And I think it's glorious.
there is no fear in this heart.

Quote by ETHANEVIL
How am I being or trying to be fabulous/glamorous?

earlier today i heard that it leaked, i haven't gotten around to grabbing it yet. not sure if i will, might wait on it and see if the radio station gets it.
Quote by somewhat_here
what song is that? internets weren't too clear on it. i didn't realize there's a 2 disc one of it; i'd buy that just for 'jeane.'

i think that was the song i thought was new...is it not?
it was a b-side to the This Charming Man 7". i think the only other place it appears is in the /08 singles release.
i'm a week behind in my classes and planned to catch up yesterday; i ended playing the smiths on guitar for hours.
suggestions on how to get that jangley tone without spending my entire bank account to buy a rickenbacker?
first up, Morrissey's voice is great.

Just a little thought, I've been reading "Songs That Saved Your Life" and it seems to me that M+M were those really pretentious kids at school that listened to the most obscure music possible as a form of self-aggrandisement. However if it's this contrived attitude to music that produces the kind of genius that is the Smiths then I've got no qualms.

Currently Strangeways... is my favourite Smiths record.
MIA 1979 Fender Strat
Epi LP Standard
Squier Strat

Tanglewood

Laney TF300
Fender Frontman 15G

Zoom G1
the cure were better and robert smith is a better singer...
* runs away and hides *