Page 5 of 8
Moz turns 50 tomorrow!
I've got a slot at a local radio station and was wondering what songs to play, to honour the great man.
Quote by Zero-Hartman
Damn you, bodyheatseeker

Quote by Paramore.
bodyheatseeker, I will NEVER forgive you.

Quote by bodyheatseeker
Moz turns 50 tomorrow!
I've got a slot at a local radio station and was wondering what songs to play, to honour the great man.

Still Ill
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Moz turns 50 tomorrow!

Hand in glove, what station btw?
multicolour random messge!

FAC 13
"The hacienda must be rebuilt"
Quote by bodyheatseeker
Moz turns 50 tomorrow!

Radio-rip it for us if you get a chance
Quote by somewhat_here
^^^ this. i like this.
or start it off with 'unhappy birthday.' and follow that with all of them.

i would like to start signing birthday cards with the lyrics to "Unhappy Birthday" but i think that it would cost me friends.
BUMP, we need more Smiths talk.

Anyone seen 'The Importance of Being Morrissey' here??
smiths the best band in the universe
Quote by bluesrocker101
Hmm, you might just be my favorite Oct. 06er.

Quote by acdc51502112
agreed

Quote by bodyheatseeker
Moz turns 50 tomorrow!

there is a light that never goes out
these things take time

DO
Quote by bluesrocker101
Hmm, you might just be my favorite Oct. 06er.

Quote by acdc51502112
agreed

I saw morrissey for the first time ever this year at Hartlepool Borough Hall and it was the best night of my life. I shook his hand whilst he played 'World is Full of Crashing Bores' and said that I loved him, he looked me dead in the eyes and said thank you. I cried and I cried. I'm a straight guy too.
Bumpage

am i the only one who skips the last to tracks on TQID and pretends there is a light that never goes out is the last track?
that old woman chanting at the end of the album always spoils the epic mood that there is a light sets haha
Quote by spitonastranger
Bumpage

am i the only one who skips the last to tracks on TQID and pretends there is a light that never goes out is the last track?
that old woman chanting at the end of the album always spoils the epic mood that there is a light sets haha

How can you not like "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others"?
This thread needs a bump, I feel. I've recently become pretty addicted to plugging in the Tele and playing There is a Light That Never Goes Out repeatedly.

I find the Smiths to be infuriating to play though, mostly. On first listen you'd assume it was easy, but when you sit down with your guitar...**** you Marr >.<

<3
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
I went to Manchester at the weekend (I'm at Uni in Northampton, but originally came from Manchester), and I was SO LUCKY enough to just see, walking down a road, nobody recognising him, the legend that is.. JOHNNY MARR!!

I went and spoke to him for about 20 seconds, and even though it is SUCH a short time to talk, he seemed very down to earth! He even gave me a plectrum

Made my entire year, it did
Quote by strat0blaster
HA!

Well played, my friend.

I'm going to edit that awful grammar right now

Yay, I'm sigged!!
And a grammar nazi..
^...no...****ing...way...
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by sTarbuck
I went to Manchester at the weekend (I'm at Uni in Northampton, but originally came from Manchester), and I was SO LUCKY enough to just see, walking down a road, nobody recognising him, the legend that is.. JOHNNY MARR!!

I went and spoke to him for about 20 seconds, and even though it is SUCH a short time to talk, he seemed very down to earth! He even gave me a plectrum

Made my entire year, it did

Smiths stuff sounds great on my new Wilshire. They're mini-humbuckers but they still get remarkably jangly.
anyone been to rourke's dj sets? this is the second time he'll be in town within three months; am i missing out big or what
I am now listening to "How Soon Is Now?".

Hellz yeah.
Quote by Kurapica
This thread needs a bump, I feel. I've recently become pretty addicted to plugging in the Tele and playing There is a Light That Never Goes Out repeatedly.

I find the Smiths to be infuriating to play though, mostly. On first listen you'd assume it was easy, but when you sit down with your guitar...**** you Marr >.<

<3

Yeah, seriously. The chord work on That Joke Isn't Funny Anymore is pretty impressive and very original.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Leader of The Conservative Party's David Cameron admitted his favourite album of The Smiths was The Queen Is Dead

Ironic, but can you blame him for liking such an awesome album.
Bought The Queen is Dead the other day. Been listening to everyday since.
| (• ◡•)| (❍ᴥ❍ʋ
The next frame should be a shot of Guran visiting Mozz in the sickbed, with a balloon above Mozz's head that says, "So drink, drink, drink and be ill tonight!"
There's only one girl in the world for you
and she probably lives in Tahiti.
There are no words to describe how much I love this band.

My uncle used to play one of their albums all the time when I was younger and I never thought much of them, but then a few months ago I decided to give their first album a listen and since then I can't stop listening to them.
Quote by blackenedktulu
CFH82, I love you. I didn't laugh, but my god, I love you.

Quote by Zero-Hartman
Holy shit, that was epic. A mighty roar escapeth'd my mouth.

Quote by WyvernOmega
I saw a penis.

last.fm
A question: Are The Smiths as big in America as they are here in England?

I only ever hear them mentioned from the Pitchfork crowd.
Quote by Malakian88
Oh my bloody god. Imagine if you were a girl and you woke up to find your little brother's friend standing over you with his erect penis on your breasts...

Indeed.
Quote by soccermom
A question: Are The Smiths as big in America as they are here in England?

I only ever hear them mentioned from the Pitchfork crowd.

Yes they are. In Los Angeles they even have Smiths conventions for them in arenas and such. Aside from that, their music is a staple at all 80's clubs, punk bars and you can hear some of their tunes at house parties. I'm sure the same can be said with other cities.
Last edited by The Mofaster at Nov 27, 2010,
I really enjoy the Smiths that I've heard. I almost bought one of the greatest hits collections the other day, but I opted out at the last minute. I'd rather get the original albums.

I was thinking of moving through them chronologically. Would that be a good way to go, starting with S/T?
Quote by Samdroid
I really enjoy the Smiths that I've heard. I almost bought one of the greatest hits collections the other day, but I opted out at the last minute. I'd rather get the original albums.

I was thinking of moving through them chronologically. Would that be a good way to go, starting with S/T?

not necessarily. I don't know what songs you already know, but I would suggest meat is murder over self-titled. but if you find you really like them all, get em all starting with the self titled. I think the instrumentation on meat is murder is cooler than the others, but that's because i don't really like morrissey that much and it seems that meat is murder is as much johnny marr and the whole band as it is morrissey, seeing as they produced it themselves alone, unlike the self titled. Morrissey, from what i understand (and from how the later albums sound) seemed to control a lot more of the creative output after meat is murder, which lead to the tension between morrissey and marr. or some crazy shit like that.

tl:dr meat is murder has my personal favorites of the smiths, but the self titled makes for a good beginning as well

Saying the Red Hot Chili Peppers have no talent is like saying Guy Fawkes didn't have an epic mustache.
I'd recommend getting The Queen Is Dead (their magnum opus, in my opinion (also my favorite album of all time)) or Louder Than Bombs (their superb collection of non-album singles & B-sides) first.
I listen to the self titled most. I think it would be a good starting place too, as you get "Hand in Glove" and "This Charming Man" which are the two songs that made me love them.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Their self-titled is great (I prefer it to Meat Is Murder, personally), but it took me a while to get into it. Also, it's where all that jingle-jangle-Rickenbacker chords associated with The Smiths come from. And, in addition to the one Collin mentioned, "Still Ill" is one of my favorite Smiths songs. It's definitely not a bad starting point. But I hold that The Queen Is Dead is their high point. And, of course, Louder Than Bombs has prime cuts like "Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now", "Shakespeare's Sister", "Panic", and "Ask", plus hidden gems like "Half a Person" and "Girl Afraid".
I could go on all day about the first three albums & Louder Than Bombs. But I won't.