Page 1 of 2
The war for next gen video formats, fought between Blu-Ray and HD-DVD, is officially over. Toshiba, the proprietor of the HDDVD format, has jumped ship and dropped all support for HD-DVD movies, players, and will stop all production as of April.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6186213.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=newstop&tag=newstop;more;1
Is it a bad thing if one of your testicles is larger then the other two?
Wait for a new one, like Red-ray HDVD Super hardcore video format, Bitch you can see individual grass blades on mountains and **** format.
Quote by garrett5
Wait for a new one, like Red-ray HDVD Super hardcore video format, Bitch you can see individual grass blades on mountains and **** format.

Maybe we should make it an acronym. R-RHDVDSHVF-BYCSIGBOMASF
Quote by Tire Me.
Raping her in front of other people would be morally wrong.

Quote by Bubbles516
wtf290 uses make bubbles feel like crap
Its super effective!
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Plain old DVD's were good enough for me.

+1

I don't really care about the quality as long as it's not god-awful and it's watchable.
.Brand New.Bright Eyes.This Will Destroy You.

THRRRRRRRREADKILLER!
dont go buying that Blu-ray yet. wait for the 2.0 blu ray to com out & push the existing players prices down. b/c unless you have a 50+ inch TV you cant tell the diff between blu-ray 2.0 & the existing standard (as read on CNET)
Quote by Ichikurosaki
Plain old DVD's were good enough for me.

+1
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
I just got a Upscaling DVD Player, it looks awesome, and I really don't see why I need 1080p when I've only got a 22" tv.
Real men don't need sigs.
Quote by garrett5

Red-Ray's are DVD players.

PSN ID: ArranP
i hate blue ray
DVDs are soo good
are they really gonna get rid of all the DVDs?
Gear:
Jackson SL-3 Soloist w/ licensed Floyd Rose
Peavey VK 100 Head
Earcandy Boa 2X12 Cab w/ 70 watt Speakers
Fender Frontman 15 Watt Practice Amp

I'M SELLING A HOHNER HR1000 GUITAR. PM ME FOR INFO.
the reason why blu ray dvds won is because Playstation 3. Blu Ray movies look awesome on a 1080p HDTV
Quote by bannanaman
are they going to back Blu Ray then?

Thats unknown at this time, there are rumors that Microsoft might even start releasing 360s with built in blu-ray, but that is complete and TOTAL speculation, so don't QFT. The rumors have come from people in the industry though, but still...

^ Agreed.
Quote by led,rainsong
i hate blue ray
DVDs are soo good
are they really gonna get rid of all the DVDs?

No, just like you can still buy tapes but you look like a mink and only get them in PoundLand.

They will eventually get rid of them, although I dont see that happening for a good few years until Blu-ray discs become the same prices as normal DVD's.

Edit0rz:

The PS3 did win the war, and Sony needed the PS3 to win to get that format the new standard.

Last edited by apmaman at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by SealCubMassacre

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

caves and spears were ok

Quote by SealCubMassacre

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Exactly. DVD is still THE main video format, even with this win, it will be at least a year before it becomes the standard. With something like a price tag of at least 700$ for the smallest of 1080p capable TV sets, and 600 (i.e. Ps3 for the cheapest one) more for the player, with videos running at 30$ a pop, the prices need to come down considerably before the general populace embraces it.
Bring back VHS!
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
I bought a PS3 2 days before Toshiba dropped HDDVD. Sweet.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
Quote by wtf290

Lol , i laughed at that XD

I remember when DVD came out and VHS was "the thing" I had a new DVD player and my friends were like "Whats the point, VHS is still good". Jealous IMO, but yeah Blu-ray will probs take over in the next few years, just like DVD.

I wasn't around when the Betamax vs. VHS happened, was it just like HD-DVD and Blu-ray?
/CENTER]
Hey guys ive been working on a new format, its called RL (Real Life), you can feel individual blades of grass!!!OMFG!!1ONE!UNO

And watching Brokeback Mountain is even more pleasurable.
:|.
Yeah i bought the PS3 and all my friends have got 360's . I WIN.
"Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes"

"Like a blind man at an orgy, I was going to have to feel my way through"

Quote by YngwieJnr
Hey guys ive been working on a new format, its called RL (Real Life), you can feel individual blades of grass!!!OMFG!!1ONE!UNO

And watching Brokeback Mountain is even more pleasurable.
:|.
Yeah i bought the PS3 and all my friends have got 360's . I WIN.

I've heard of that, no saves so if you fuck up your fucked

I'm still having trouble getting rid of my VHS. So, what if consumers refuse to buy new dvd players and just stick with the old ones. Don't buy Blue Ray. Need creates markets. They will slowly phase out old dvds so the need for Blue Ray works. And then they will have created a recycled junk market that they can revolve in a few more years. I hate distribution companies. Let us stick with the dvd medium and be done with it. Entertainment Technology is in a null.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Quote by soulphonate
I'm still having trouble getting rid of my VHS. So, what if consumers refuse to buy new dvd players and just stick with the old ones. Don't buy Blue Ray. Need creates markets. They will slowly phase out old dvds so the need for Blue Ray works. And then they will have created a recycled junk market that they can revolve in a few more years. I hate distribution companies. Let us stick with the dvd medium and be done with it. Entertainment Technology is in a null.

I thought Blu-ray players were backwards compatible with DVDs and CDs...
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
Quote by Reject_666_6
I thought Blu-ray players were backwards compatible with DVDs and CDs...

Most old dvd players play dvds and cds. Who cares about Blu-ray discs. Unless you have a big screen hd tv then they are useless.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
I'm usually happier when I watch a good quality pirate [DVD].

I can't see my family being able to afford a HD telly in the near future, so until then there's no point owning some super high tech DVD player. Our TV looks like its going to be working for a long time.
Quote by Renka
OddOneOut is an Essex S&M mistress and not a pirate or a computer program.

Quote by wtf290

I second that. It's got a nice ring to it.
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']^ This man knows everything.

Seriously, don't even try and question him, he'll rip your face off with his awesomeness alone.
Quote by Kumanji
@ yet another win post from Vince. Kudos to you, sir.
Quote by soulphonate
Most old dvd players play dvds and cds. Who cares about Blu-ray discs. Unless you have a big screen hd tv then they are useless.

You're missing the point. The point was that DVDs won't become obsolete for a loooooong time, especially with Blu-ray players being able to read them. By the time Blu-ray players drop in price enough to become the common household standard, your DVD player will probably need replacing due to age anyway, so a transition to a Blu-ray player will come naturally.

Believe me, I thought that DVDs were useless when I was a kid, and that 800Mb CDs were all I'll ever need.
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
I swear, everyday I see another "DVDHR is dead" news.
How many times the thing can die? It's like a damn cat!
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||
||||||||||||||||||||

Last edited by urik at Feb 19, 2008,
Page 1 of 2