Hey,
I hope I dont sound to vauge, but I was wondering what is the best electric and acoustic guitar I could get in terms of sound? Also what is the best amp I could get? I like to have top notch equipment, haha.

Cheers.
Sorry, but you do sound vague. Tell us more.
Seriously, I'm in the band.
What type of music you play? and a budget... if any =P
/CENTER]
How would you know if you're actually getting 'top knotch' equipment if you can't even tell what you do or don't want out of a piece of gear? You could be getting the crap de jour and think it's awesome just cause someone else said so, and apparently you wouldn't know the difference.

If you want 'top knotch' as you put it, you need to decide what you like/dislike, then go play a ton of gear until you find one that has the sound YOU want, not what someone else tells you is good. Gear is such a personal thing.
He means, basically, post what you think is the finest piece of equipment ever created.
Gretsch White Falcon anyone?
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Squire Bullit, best guitar ever. But it's hard to afford one. You know why not everyone plays it? Because they can't afford it, like I can't.
gibson dove... its an acoustic / electric so your set for life! now go to musican's friend and get one cause its on sale and send it to me...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Everyone knows that the day the Metallica ends, the world ends.
if you have to ask like that (as in specify no preferences) then you wouldn't benefit from owning it.

the best guitar can only be a guitar that feels perfect and sounds perfect for you, and its difficult enough to get people to agree on whats good . . . let alone the best in anything.

play lots of guitars, you'll find a good one eventually
Quote by JPThornaby
Hey,
I hope I dont sound to vauge, but I was wondering what is the best electric and acoustic guitar I could get in terms of sound? Also what is the best amp I could get? I like to have top notch equipment, haha.

Cheers.

Well, that's like asking what the best flavor of jolly ranchers is. Many people are going to say many different things.

You have to think that there will be a few lines that will differentiate quality between instruments, but ultimately, the sound is going to be what you want.

You could buy a $3000 Taylor or Martin Acoustic, and there are plenty of people that will say that their $600 acoustic has a better sound to them...

They all sound different, just depends on what kind of sound you're looking for...
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
dude lol..
guitars and amps are opinion based like totally..
you can't just say 'wats da best gouitar i shud get plz tel meh!!!!!!111'
That's pretty stupid..
The best? there isn't one guitar that is just better then every other out there.
To pick out a guitar you need to find one that fits your style of music and has a sound you like and such.. and is in your budget..
Quote by strat0blaster
How would you know if you're actually getting 'top knotch' equipment if you can't even tell what you do or don't want out of a piece of gear? You could be getting the crap de jour and think it's awesome just cause someone else said so, and apparently you wouldn't know the difference.

If you want 'top knotch' as you put it, you need to decide what you like/dislike, then go play a ton of gear until you find one that has the sound YOU want, not what someone else tells you is good. Gear is such a personal thing.

i didn't see this when i posted. ignore my last one . . . this is pretty much the answer
you probably don't need top knotch equipment if you don't know what top knotch is.

however if you're up to the journey... rumor has it, high atop the tallest mountains in the himalayas there is a guitar carved from rock taken from an asteroid, with strings forged from the thunderbolts of Zeus, and a tremolo bar made from a unicorn's horn. that guitar is the best guitar in this known universe, and for an amp, i'd get a marshall jcm800.
Gear nut
In other words, you sound like a newbie who has never played guitar before so would probably think that an Epiphone Strat sounds no different then a Gibson LP.
Quote by mrryan
you probably don't need top knotch equipment if you don't know what top knotch is.

however if you're up to the journey... rumor has it, high atop the tallest mountains in the himalayas there is a guitar carved from rock taken from an asteroid, with strings forged from the thunderbolts of Zeus, and a tremolo bar made from a unicorn's horn. that guitar is the best guitar in this known universe, and for an amp, i'd get a marshall jcm800.

GAS
Throbak Stonebender | Fulltone Deja Vibe | Catalinbread Semaphore
Quote by mrryan

omgz reelly???? dats so kwl

And sorry everybody, I havent been playing for long (2 and a half years). I own a Gretsch White Falcon and a VOX AC30 which are great, but I wondered if there was any out there that where better. Thanks anyway.
The brand of electric solidbody with the most mystique and hype right now is probably D'Pergo (google it, he has a website). A lot of it may seem like pure BS and marketing but all those that play them seem to change their tune VERY quickly to unbounded adulation. However, they'll run you from $5-10k and beyond with a 1-2 year wait (at the least) so trying one out isn't really an option for most. Similarly, for dual bucker mahogany/maple setnecks, Gustavsson (trivia: the guy from Maroon 5 plays one) seems to have the same aura. Similar prices wait, except to get a spot on the waiting list, theres a lottery. But they DO have THE most glorious (in a tasteful way ... not like PRS) tops known to man.

Crazy? Probably. I don't really care.

Acoustics it gets more ridiculous. Classicals even more so (theres one builder with a huge reputation, can't remember his name, 25 year wait list. Unbelievable.

Archtops - new you can get top cheese for $25k, best of the best (for that bread, it better be)
If you go vintage I suppose you could try for a real D'Aquisto - while their prices are heavily distorted by their collectability, they're supposed to be some of the finest archtops ever made.
Uhh 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Best electric guitar you can get.

Just be prepared to spend a little cash. Like $300,000-$500,000.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
please tell me you've been playing for at least 5 years.

if not. Then get a squire. Don't pay thousands for the best equipment then decide you don't like to practice and drop it all together.

EDIT: Just read that you've been playing for about 2 years. Umm, a Gibson SG is a good guitar. But you don't need top of the line stuff yet. Wait about another 2 years.
My obligatory gear list

Guitars
Schecter C-1 Classic
Gibson SG Special
1987 Fender Strat
Epiphone PR-150

Amp and Effects
Peavey Valveking 112
Boss DD-6
Crybaby Wah-wah
Ibanez TS-9DX
Banshee 2 Talkbox

Crit plz! Wh ore of Gommorah
Last edited by angus is god at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by thankyougermany
Uhh 1959 Gibson Les Paul Standard. Best electric guitar you can get.

Just be prepared to spend a little cash. Like $300,000-$500,000.
Richie Sambora has an original 1959 Standard still with all it's original wiring and everything, which has simply the best tone I've ever heard. He bought for $47,000.

So they don't cost that much, so long as you're a professional musician who's world famous, got twenty+ year's experience, and is selling out gigs around the world raking in millions every year.
Quote by JPThornaby
omgz reelly???? dats so kwl

And sorry everybody, I havent been playing for long (2 and a half years). I own a Gretsch White Falcon and a VOX AC30 which are great, but I wondered if there was any out there that where better. Thanks anyway.

FOOLISH... what are you doing with a $3000 dollar guitar and asking for what else you should get? what you need my friend is guitar lessons, so you can appreciate what you have.....
Quote by bokuho
Richie Sambora has an original 1959 Standard still with all it's original wiring and everything, which has simply the best tone I've ever heard. He bought for $47,000.

So they don't cost that much, so long as you're a professional musician who's world famous, got twenty+ year's experience, and is selling out gigs around the world raking in millions every year.

Well, when I have 20+ years of experience and am world famous and selling out gigs around the world raking in millions every year, I'll make sure to buy you one too.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by Ichimaru
He means, basically, post what you think is the finest piece of equipment ever created.
Gretsch White Falcon anyone?

If he wanted to look like a total tool and one a really huge guitar I would tell him to get that.
DRAGONFORCE IS THE HARDEST METAL KNOWN TO MAN
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
If he wanted to look like a total tool and one a really huge guitar I would tell him to get that.

Well, a White Falcon is still a helluva lot better guitar than some ****ty Ibanez.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by thankyougermany
Well, a White Falcon is still a helluva lot better guitar than some ****ty Ibanez.

You're right Ibanez is terrible compared to a huge white, gold, and gaudy semi-hollow. You have me beat.
Quote by IBANEZ_EDGE
You're right Ibanez is terrible compared to a huge white, gold, and gaudy semi-hollow. You have me beat.

Well, I believe looks are irrelevant anyway, since the OP asked what was the best in terms of sound. And a Gretsch can kick ass at anything but metal.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by thankyougermany
Well, I believe looks are irrelevant anyway, since the OP asked what was the best in terms of sound. And a Gretsch can kick ass at anything but metal.

I would just get a Telecaster. They can pull off any sound, yes even metal. Oh and no feedback due to being hollow.