A friend and I were planning on making some computer later on this spring. We don't exactly have a lot of money to spend so we need some cheaper motherboards that have a lot to offer. Brands like MSI, Gigabyte, AOpen, Intel, DFI, Sapphire, and ASUS. Not too cheap though around $200 for sure.

A good friend and computer tech told us that ASUS have treated him well and are probably best bang for your buck but also to get one that supports Intel. More specifically a core duo CPU which is what we have been planning to get for sure.

Basically what I need help with is which brand(s) I should go with and pretty much more than 1 opinion. Also whether those brands I have listed are any good. We have a few in mind but we want to know which one and maybe some other suggestions. Here are the 3 we had chosen, the first one is the one we are leaning towards the most.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=25851&vpn=P5K-E/WIFI-AP&manufacture=ASUS

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=24495&vpn=P5K&manufacture=ASUS

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=27595&vpn=132%2DCK%2DNF78%2DA1&manufacture=eVGA

Any help is much appreciated.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
I don't see a reason to definately get a Pentium, AMD is more bang for your buck imo.
Quote by pmeg568c
oh man, seems as though i totally forgot about anal

My Gear
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Fender Standard Strat
Boss ME-50 Multieffect
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Quote by SoccerRM1
I don't see a reason to definately get a Pentium, AMD is more bang for your buck imo.

Thea used to, but at the moment you get the same amount of bang for your buck from Intel, as AMD's cpus just cannot compete when talking about performance.
I've personally installed the first one and there were no problems. The wifi range could have been a little stronger, though.
AMD used to be top but I've been hearing more Intel stuff is better. Especially their dual core stuff. I just heard about this too I used to be set on getting a nice AMD but I guess it's Intel now...
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Quote by SoccerRM1

This generation Intel are better than AMD.

Having said that it's only a matter of time before AMD release their next generation or processors.
So which motherboard out of the 3 I posted would be good for a budget gaming computer? I don't mean hardcore gaming just games like Guild Wars and MAYBE WoW. Video editing and music recording is a must as well. Any other suggestions?
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
You really don't need to spend that much if you're going to just build a budget PC for simple games like GW and WoW. The eVGA board is for enthusiasts. If you don't plan on overclocking or don't need those additional features then its pointless to spend so much on that. You can still get a decent mobo for around $100-150.

Edit - Well after check those Asus boards they don't seem bad. Just don't get the eVGA board unless you plan on messing around with your PC a lot to get the best possible performance.

And yes Intel currently has the best bang for your buck with their Core2duo processors.
Last edited by Melan at Feb 19, 2008,
$200US would get you a really great mobo, you would only have to spend $100 to get one that can do everything you would need it for
Ibanez RG350ex
The eVGA one was one my friend was just looking at. We'll probably get something else especially since we still have all the other components to buy.
Quote by Jearl

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP