I have been playing guitar for 15 years always and playing rythm for all of it and it's getting boring. I was wondering is it difficult to make the change. could anyone recommend songs with solos and good leads to start learning to? I have listened to punk for most of my life and as I have gotten older I still love the music but there is no technical aspect to the music. And would really like to get away from that genre of playing. Any recommendations would be great.
If you want to learn lead your best bet is to learn some scales.
Edit: Try the knocking on heavens doors gnr version solos. there pretty basic.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Thanks, I have been learning the blues scales key of E going over them as vicously as I can any other scales you'd recommend?
You might wanna start learning some Led Zeppelin and early Rush stuff, and just about anything from that time period, as well as some blues stuff. As far as I'm concerned, this is the best place to start learning lead guitar. Many people may disagree with me, though.

Also, blues music; this is theoretically the easiest genre to play, but it's actually very difficult. You have to have restraint. You'll find that you can play a lot of your blues licks in metal music but you can't play many of your metal licks in blues music. Blues has played such a huge influence on other genres of music. It led the way to rock and roll, to metal, and so on. A lot of your favorite old-school punk songs (if you listen to early punk music) probably uses the I-IV-V chords a ton. So my advice to you is to start there.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
^^ thats true man. I'll be jamming with some of my friends who are metal heads a I throw in a few old blusey licks and there amazed with how they fit in so well. You can incoperate the old blues riffs into almost any style.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
^
Including a lot of Jazz That's why blues is easilly the best place to start for lead playing. The thing is, once people cross over to something more complex like metal or jazz, a lot of them get too complicated with the scales and **** on something so simple. You can't do these 4 string sweeps and crap on the blues, it just doesn't sound like the blues. At the same time, playing 32nd notes on a blues song also just does not work, but you'll hear a lot of people trying it. I don't necessarily have a problem with someone experimenting, but it does bother me to hear someone trying to play maybe a natural minor scale on a major blues progression with _7 chords.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
children of bodom bed of razors that will get you up to shape.

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Hye, if you've been playing rhythm for 15 years then you're going to have a good sense of beat and time; which is probably the most important thing for playing lead
But yeah look at songs to see how their playing and check up on the theory side of things