Poll: What speaker should I put in my AC30CC1?
Poll Options
View poll results: What speaker should I put in my AC30CC1?
Direct replacement of the Vox Neodog
2 6%
Eminence Red Fang
12 35%
Weber Blue Dog
12 35%
I have a better idea forming in my head
8 24%
Voters: 34.
Page 1 of 2
So I found out what's wrong with my AC30: The speaker's blown.

I figured I'd drop in and get a consensus on what speaker y'all think I oughta replace it with. I could go with a direct replacement of the Vox Neodog, but I'm leaning more towards the Eminence Red Fang or possibly the Weber AlNiCo Blue Dog. They're all around the same price (which is when I dropped Tone Tubby from the selection process), so that's not a concern. I'm looking for the best AC30 sound, which is why I'm looking at 30W Celestion Blue clones.

If you have any other ideas, I'm open to them!
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i would vote weber Blue Dog, because ted is awesome...

but there is an option called warehouse speakers. they make 15w alnico blue clones for $160 i think. i have their british lead. it's pretty decent.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
but there is an option called warehouse speakers. they make 15w alnico blue clones for $160 i think. i have their british lead. it's pretty decent.

Yeah, but because I have the CC1, I need a 30W speaker.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
^just notices. just kidding.

but i like weber.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I voted Eminence Red Fang, since well, I have one. Great speaker, 30W power rating and highly recommended.

Listen to the video review, it shows some if it's nice tone.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ It's expensive, and at 50W, rated higher than I'm looking for. I really wanna get the speaker moving.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
What about volume? Deciding how efficient you want it will narrow your choices down.
All the speakers I'm looking at are pretty efficient. Volume isn't a great concern, but I guess it's in the back of my mind. I always have my Tone Tubby cab if I need more.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
^ It's expensive, and at 50W, rated higher than I'm looking for. I really wanna get the speaker moving.

what about a Greenback ?
at 25 watts, i'm sure you'll get the speaker moving .
why do you want that though ? i always get this farting sound with my speaker at higher volumes...
Well, the classic AC30 sound is that of a pair of Alnico Blues being pushed to their limit. I like that sound.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Well I still say Red Fang, great speaker, great for the price!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah I'd definitely go with the Red Fang.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by slatsmania
Well, the classic AC30 sound is that of a pair of Alnico Blues being pushed to their limit. I like that sound.

why not get the Alnico blue then ?
^ 'Cause it would sound really great right up until the moment I blew it!

I decided to go with the Red Fang.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
^ 'Cause it would sound really great right up until the moment I blew it!

I decided to go with the Red Fang.

ohh sorry i thought it was more than 15 watts. couldn't you make a 212 out of your vox, considering that that the CC1 and 2 are almost the same size ? so you could use 2 alnico blues with your ac30 ?

what i don't get is why you risk the chance of not liking the Eminence while you could get a 30 watt Alnico Blue clone that you like the sound of ?
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 22, 2008,
No, it's actually considerably smaller than the 2x12.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
ah man... well either way we need some clips you know.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
I think it's worth it to buy a Celestion Blue. You won't miss the extra money months/years from now.
Quote by The red Strat.
ohh sorry i thought it was more than 15 watts. couldn't you make a 212 out of your vox, considering that that the CC1 and 2 are almost the same size ? so you could use 2 alnico blues with your ac30 ?

what i don't get is why you risk the chance of not liking the Eminence while you could get a 30 watt Alnico Blue clone that you like the sound of ?
The Red Fang is a 30w Alnico Blue clone...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by Gutch220
I think it's worth it to buy a Celestion Blue. You won't miss the extra money months/years from now.

I don't. I don't thunk it's worth buying a speaker that blows (not as in sucks, but as in gets destroyed).

His is a 1x12 combo you see.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
I don't. I don't thunk it's worth buying a speaker that blows (not as in sucks, but as in gets destroyed).

Hence my Alnico Gold suggestion.
Though Alnico Gold is like twice the price of the Red Fang.

I would go with the Red Fang, GREAT SPEAKER! Eminence FTW!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by mr_hankey
Hence my Alnico Gold suggestion.

which is 50 watts so slats won't get the speaker moving like he wants to.

the weber or eminence (i didn't know it was a alnico blue clone too ) seems the obvious answer here i guess.
Last edited by The red Strat. at Feb 22, 2008,
In the end, there was a lot more info and positive reviews for the Red Fang than the Weber. The one thing I really liked about Weber was the ability to get "light dope," but I decided the heavily doped Red Fang would be ok. It's hard to find someone who's had a bad experience with this speaker. This Guitar Mag Article also helped sell me on the Eminence.

The Celestion Gold was out for both the cost, and the higher wattage rating. I'd've gotten a Tone Tubby rather than the Gold for the same price.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
So you got the Red Fang?

Awesome! I hope you like it as much as I love mine. It's a fantastic speaker IMO. Hope my info on it helped
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

^ It definitely did.

You turned me on to the speaker when you first got it in your Rocker, and I've had an interest in it since. I had been thinking of swapping to it before the stock speaker blew. The Weber looks great, too, but it just couldn't pass the Red Fang in my mind.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Yeah. It must sound great in the Vox. Have listen to my Rocker 30 review. Even though it's not a Vox, at about 1:54 and 2:53, you can hear that kind of Vox-y chime that the Alnico speaker has.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The dope is supposed to eliminate cone cry on high notes. I don't spend enough time sustaining bends beyond the 12th fret on the first string for it to matter a lot to me. I think it has the potential to restrict the speaker in the range where I do most of my playing. But like I said, I didn't let that stop me from going with the Red Fang.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
From Ted himself:

Doping is the shiny goop you see on the surround of a speaker. Besides extending the life of the surround, it also acts as a shock absorber to help keep the cone under control at higher volumes. The downside is that it also dampens cone vibrations and therefore reduces the potential character and texture of the speaker. If you are going to bend/sustain notes in the area above the 10th fret on the high E string and at high volumes with heavy distortion, then you need the doping to help prevent ghost notes and cone cry that could result from the extreme cone vibrations. Othewise, I would get the speaker undoped. Many players prefer the raw, undamped tone of the undoped speaker and they learn to modulate their finger pressure when noting in the area that causes cone cry. Pre-Rola Treatment For this doping, the cone is artificially aged and chemically treated. Vibration dampner compound is also applied to the cone body and surround.

I like the sound of my speakers really freaking out. I'd go with light dope from Weber because hedging bets is my general nature.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
i have light dope on my amp's speaker.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Gabel

ah yes, you're right. I forgot that little tidbit of information. In that case I'd go with one of those Weber Blues. I was thinking he has an AC15. That's what I think of when I think of a 1x12
Last edited by Gutch220 at Feb 22, 2008,
Page 1 of 2