well i was playing around and got this riff, wich sounded epic-ish to me, so i´d like to know some stuff, like what key is it and what scales and chords can i use with it. thanks in advance and here´s the riff:
     |--3--|  |--3--|  |--3--|   |-3|        
     E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E  E   E  Q                                       
E||---------------------------------------||
B||---------------------------------------||
G||---------------------------------------||
D||--0--0--0--7--0--0--5--0--0--10--9~----||
A||---------------------------------------||
E||---------------------------------------||
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
"Pedant" is not an appropriate word here. It implies that I'm going "by the book" without any regard for common sense or practicality, which is completely false. Not only do I give a factually accurate, by the book definition, but I explain why it could be the two scales and say that one of them is less likely due to an awkward sound when played on top of minor chords after being played solo, as so many riffs do.

I'm on here to provide accurate information about music and guitar playing, not make friends. If you cannot handle being corrected, then I wish you luck in making it at anything requiring any skill or knowledge, and I sincerely mean that. I've been wrong 1000s of times about 1000s of different things. Do you think it phases me? Perhaps a bit, since I hate being wrong, but I learn from my mistakes.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you cannot handle being corrected

Point out where i was wrong and i'll bow down to you're vast superiority.
well thanks, but can u guys see if i´doing it wrong please? i´ve come up with more for that
Attachments:
dragon.zip
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
^
You could like, stop posting now since you have nothing left to say that is of any relevance?

Anyway, I have no idea what kinds of chords you could use for this. My best advice would be to loop/record it in some kind of way, and then come up with something after that. Cool riff, though
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
TS, I don't have GP so I can't listen to your thing, but if it sounds good, it can't be "wrong."

Quote by Chris_Sleeps
Point out where i was wrong and i'll bow down to you're vast superiority.
1. You only listed one scale when (at least) two were definite possibilities.

2. Major chords, keys, and scales are more stable than their minor counterparts, so if you were going to say only one of the two, you should have said D Mixo.

3. Since no third is present, but a fourth is, that implies Dsus4. Dsus4 resolves to D more than it resolves to Dm. Sus2 chords generally resolve to minor chords (Dsus2 -> Dm) and sus4 chords generally resolve to major chords (Dsus4 -> D). This is not a definate rule by any means, but, along with #2, it should have hinted that Mixolydian was a better choice than Dorian.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
1. You only listed one scale when (at least) two were definite possibilities.

I explained that i presumed it was Dorian because it sounded like a Deftones riff. I'm repeating myself so you've obviously never read what i put in the first place.

Secondly, you're correct in what you say, it could be a mixolydian mode. I am also correct in what i wrote, it could be Dorian. Neither of us were "wrong". I'm just tired of people on here taking music theory and hitting people with it to boost their own ego. You know you're stuff, well done. That doesn't give you the right to be rude to people.

It's me bed time now so i shall leave it at that.
there´s a midi track along (you can listen to it) , i´ve changed a bit from what i had posted before, but the idea is that. well thanks for the theory anyway

EDIT: would a pentatonic relate to that key? if so, wich one?
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
Last edited by Varyag_Ace at Feb 19, 2008,
um... i dont think so... maybe... i dont really listen to that kind of stuff
Keep On Rockin´

Gear:
Ibanez GRG-270
Roland Cube30X
Zoom G2.1u
Now that I've heard the GP file, it sounds more major to me, so I'd say D mixolydian.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
Neither of us were "wrong".
You weren't wrong, you were just incomplete. If a newspaper quotes a politician as saying "We need to raise taxes," but the politician's entire quote was, "I don't think we need to raise taxes," the newspaper didn't report that he said something he didn't say. In fact, the politician definitely said the phrase, "We need to raise taxes," but writing it in that way is misleading. Not to accuse you of being intentionally misleading, but what you said was not the complete truth.

I forgot this earlier:
4. You said "D Dorian - so any chords in that key." This implies that D Dorian is a key, which is not true.

I'm done with this argument. Any further posts on the topic are the equivalent of Raider fans still saying the ball never touched Jack Tatum.

Now for pentatonics:
It depends on if you consider it D Dorian or D Mixolydian, or something else that hasn't even been discussed, though I find this scenario unlikely. If you consider it Dorian, the D Minor Pentatonic scale could work. If you consider it Mixolydian, the D MAJOR pentatonic could work. However, I would stay away from pentatonics and focus on the entire diatonic scale, all seven notes in the D Dorian or D Mixolydian scale. The pentatonics lack the 6th that makes Dorian distinct and the 7th that makes Mixolydian, so your riffs and solos would lack that distinct modal flavor.
Quote by Chris_Sleeps
You know you're stuff, well done. That doesn't give you the right to be rude to people.

It does.

But seriously, you were the only one attacking here, calling her pedant? Not only are you attacking but you are attacking in a laughable matter, because pedant is just such a random shait word.

But in all fairness, you both have a fair point so the argument is about nothing. Let's all watch a disney together?

Edit: She beat me to it.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje