Alright, so I've got some guitar experience under my belt. I'm good enough to play most intermediate songs through to the end, and I've been looking for good guitars. I'd like to keep the price under 350.
So far I've been looking at the Epiphone LP-100 and the Ibanez GRG-170DX and RG321.

I like to play stuff by bands like Metallica, ACDC, Guns N Roses, 3 Doors Down, Jimi Hendrix, etc.

Any good suggestions?

EDIT: forgot to add Ibanez RG2EX1
Last edited by Parabellum at Feb 19, 2008,
Get a Yamaha PAC112....great starter guitar! I have a friend who has gigged it, and it sounded amazing, all at a beginner price.
Time Magazine's 2006 Person of the Year
dude for that kind of stuff o for an ESP its the best u can get.
I recomend an EX, EC, or a Viper it matters your taste
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Equipment- Dime Crybaby From Hell
Korg PX4D Pandora

Drums- groove percussion set with zht cymbals and remo heads
id say get the epiphone
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
I am like you and i asked the very same question a year ago. I wanted a good guitar for under 350$, so i did buy the Epiphone Les Paul 100, so far its great no major problems and sounds great. Only problem is I like bigger frets, like the jumbo ones and the Lp-100 has a smaller fret board, which is good cuz you can zoom back and forth but once u start doing bigger solo's it tends to get a little harder and they sound a little more sloppy. Also another thing is you should buy some better pickups if u start getting more into guitar, but this guitar provides a great foundation and its tough as ****. Other than that i'd say it's a good guitar so go try it n buy it. (but definitly try it first to see if you like the feel of it)
Quote by ESPplayer6
dude for that kind of stuff o for an ESP its the best u can get.
I recomend an EX, EC, or a Viper it matters your taste

ESP? Is that a guitar company?

The reason I ask is because I don't see it listed on Guitarcenter.
Quote by Parabellum

ya esp is a guitar company, Metallica uses them
Gear
ESP Ltd EC-256
Takamine G-40
Boss NS-2
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Classic OD
MXR 10-Band EQ
Boss TU-3
B 52 AT-100
B 52 AT 412A

Line 6 Relay G30
Quote by Parabellum

Yes there a guitar company but they are not at guitar center, check samash
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Korg PX4D Pandora

Looking at them. Damn, do they look good so far. I'm impressed. I'm going to see if I can pick one out. Then I'll do some research on them.
ive seen fender mexican telecaster standards at GC...get it! dont make the same mistake i did!!!
Quote by SeveralSpecies
How the f*ck are you gonna get a cat to bark?

---------------------------5------8-----7-
----------------5-------------------------
------------------1-3-3-------/6----/5----
-1/3--1-1h3-------------------------------

Matt Freeman>You
[quote="'']The Ibanez RG321 is by far the best guitar in that list. One of my mates has one and there probly the best value for money guitar out there

He's right.
Don't touch the Epi LP-100. They're awful: a Standard is the minimum you should ever buy. If you want a cheaper guitar that sounds like a Gibson Les Paul, the Epiphone SG G-400 is your best bet anyway (Epiphone SGs sound more like a Gibson Les Paul, while an Epi LP is darker than any Gibson - this is because of the different way Epiphones are finished compared to Gibsons, all Epis have a naturally darker tone).

Failing an Epi LP Standard or G-400 SG, your next best option is probably the Ibanez RG321. I think the Mahogany (RG321MH) version is the better option of the two types, as I prefer that body to the basswood body of the other version (RG321EX I think it is?). The offset is the basswood version has nicer stock pickups, but you'd be likely to change those after awhile anyway, and the stock pickups on the basswood are less versatile anyway. Both are good, it just depends what your preference is; good metal tone stock (basswood), or more all-round tone stock (mahogany).
I'm trying to find out more about these ESPs. They recieved great reviews, but it's strange that I've never heard them before.
That is indeed strange. Lots of top bands use ESP guitars, and though for mid-range Ibanez are preferred, for absolute top-range quality, ESP are generally considered the best for metal, and the top ESPs are often put up there along side vintage Fenders and Custom Shop Gibsons in terms of quality (though of course, the top ESPs also cost just as much as a Custom Shop Gibson does as well...).
So would you recommend an Ibanez or an ESP for me? I still do want to play some clear stuff.

The model I'm looking at is the ESP LTD MH-103
Last edited by Parabellum at Feb 19, 2008,
Yuck, I don't like SGs, though. I may really have to save up and just buy an Epiphone Les Paul Standard.
I say get the MH like u wanted cuz i currently have a versoin of it and i love it.
Guitar- ESP LTD Kh 602
ESP LTD Ex-50

Amp- Randall rx75r
Vox AD30VT

Korg PX4D Pandora