I play thrash metal, and Im looking for a better amp. So, I played the Peavey Valveking 112, and I didnt really like it. The distortion was ok, but I couldnt get the buttery smooth sound. Is there a pedal to fix that?

Also, that amp was pretty noisy even when the volume was less than 2. Would a noise gate fix that? Or did I do something wrong in my settings?

I've been recommended the Windsor amp from many people. I wanted to play the windsor, but they didnt have it at guitar center. I heard it was modled after the Marshall JCM800, can anyone give me a good comparison of the two? I didnt actually play the JCM800, but I played the JCM Dual Lead, and the JVM JVM410H's, which I loved to death (if only I had an extra 2000 bucks plus money for the cab). Are those amps simular to the JCM800, and The Peavey Windsor? Theres a shop that carries it thats pretty far away, and I dont really want to go to get my heart broken.

Also, I notice that the windsor doesnt have a gain knob. How do I get the distortion? A stomp box?

Thanks for the help

If you have anyother suggestions for better amps around 500 bucks, do tell.
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
!THRASH METAL REVOULTION!
Last edited by skydemon666 at Feb 19, 2008,
Randall

EVILE uses the rg75g3 combo on their recordings if that helps.
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Quote by skydemon666
I play thrash metal, and Im looking for a better amp. So, I played the Peavey Valveking 112, and I didnt really like it. The distortion was ok, but I couldnt get the buttery smooth sound. Is there a pedal to fix that?

I've been recommended the Windsor amp from many people. I wanted to play the windsor, but they didnt have it at guitar center. I heard it was modled after the Marshall JCM800, can anyone give me a good comparison of the two? I didnt actually play the JCM800, but I played the JCM Dual Lead, and the JVM JVM410H's, which I loved to death (if only I had an extra 2000 bucks plus money for the cab). Are those amps simular to the JCM800, and The Peavey Windsor? Theres a shop that carries it thats pretty far away, and I dont really want to go to get my heart broken.

Also, I notice that the windsor doesnt have a gain knob. How do I get the distortion? A stomp box?

Thanks for the help

If you have anyother suggestions for better amps around 500 bucks, do tell.

On the Windsor

Distortion = Preamp up, master volume down
Clean = Preamp down, master up
Quote by SeanHart213
Randall

EVILE uses the rg75g3 combo on their recordings if that helps.

I've been severly attracted to that amp, but I've been wanting to get tubes cause everyone says their better and stuff. I also cant try that amp unless I drive like 60-100 miles. I also hope to gig soon, and I dont want the hiss of a solid state when its turned up high.
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Quote by skydemon666
I've been severly attracted to that amp, but I've been wanting to get tubes cause everyone says their better and stuff. I also cant try that amp unless I drive like 60-100 miles. I also hope to gig soon, and I dont want the hiss of a solid state when its turned up high.

The old models hiss, the new ones that feature power tube circuits are just fine. also, Randall has this little tweak where if you turn the gain down, the hiss will stop and that gain will be made up for with more level. but i always try before i buy, so don't get something you're not sure about.

and if you get a solid state that hisses at high volumes, mic it to the PA system. Chuck Schuldiner used a 100w marshall combo amp for the Sound Of Persaverance tour, just miced that thing up to the PA and got hollow cabinets to make it look like he was playing through stacks lol
Vociferance

Halcyon

Quote by dead-fish
OMGZ! Chuck shuldingr iz teh master conspiraiter!

Quote by jakekilgore666
sean hart i love your avatar
Alright. Ill check out that amp. Good old Chuck. What a scammer.
Does anyone else have any input on butteryness or input on the windsor?
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Peavey VK112 sounds decent with the Treble Boost on clean and a good disto pedal, but smooth is hard to acheive with it. I'd describe it's sound as "punchy." The distortion on it sucks for metal, though. It pretty much needs a pedal.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
The windsor is Absoultely amazing. The cleans arent loud though and you wont be able to switch from clean to dirty quickly because the Pre amp and Power amp knobs= gain settings but its a Boosted JCM 800. Perfect for thrash-blues
Quote by guitarbite.fire
The windsor is Absoultely amazing. The cleans arent loud though and you wont be able to switch from clean to dirty quickly because the Pre amp and Power amp knobs= gain settings but its a Boosted JCM 800. Perfect for thrash-blues

Alright, I could just use that turn down guitar volume trick for that right?

Quote by SkyValley
Peavey VK112 sounds decent with the Treble Boost on clean and a good disto pedal, but smooth is hard to acheive with it. I'd describe it's sound as "punchy." The distortion on it sucks for metal, though. It pretty much needs a pedal.

What pedal? Tubescreamer maybe?
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Quote by skydemon666
Alright, I could just use that turn down guitar volume trick for that right?

What pedal? Tubescreamer maybe?

might be better answered by trying them out yourself dude
Gear:
Dean Razorback V 255 (explosion finish)
Jackson KX10 (amber sunburst)
Yamaha ERG121
random 50 quid acoustic
Randall RG50TC
Yeh you could use the Guitar's volume to do that also and i own a valveking, it need a new speaker and some new tubes as the stock ones suck. If you invest 150$ into a new speaker and new tubes and a overdrive pedal (notice i said overdrive not distortion completely diffrent) Then your good to go.

For pedals check out the boss SD-1 and tubescreamers and Clones. Personally i like the BBE grean screamer better then a tubescreamer.
Quote by guitarbite.fire
Yeh you could use the Guitar's volume to do that also and i own a valveking, it need a new speaker and some new tubes as the stock ones suck. If you invest 150$ into a new speaker and new tubes and a overdrive pedal (notice i said overdrive not distortion completely diffrent) Then your good to go.

For pedals check out the boss SD-1 and tubescreamers and Clones. Personally i like the BBE grean screamer better then a tubescreamer.

Ill check out some OD then. Ill checkout some screamers and the SD-1. Thanks

Quote by sajuuk
might be better answered by trying them out yourself dude

Im not gonna buy one without trying it, I just want a step in the right direction.

By the way whats the difference with overdrive and distortion.
CLICK ME shred on
SPEED = POWER
Last edited by skydemon666 at Feb 22, 2008,