incredibly bias but i couldnt reccomend it more.
i used to have exactly the same amp as you do now and the transition was breathtaking.
Quote by Td_Nights
*Points to Above Poster*

Best. Username. Ever.

Quote by _-Joey-_
I wish I was gay...

PSN- td_rules Steam- tdrules
Yeh I own this amp, to be honest its OK at best, it's nothing special really but it's nothing bad, cleans are a little boring and lifeless. You can get good rock/hard rock stuff outta this aswell as a good Lynard Skynard, AC/DC sounish tone. Plus an ok punk/pop punk sound too. The things a little weaker for harder metal, you could maybe get a mediocre metal sound out of this if you cut the mids and boosted treble and bass and if you had active emg pickups/maybe a tubescreamer or whatever. Really good for the price.
Last edited by Pooinsky at Feb 19, 2008,
For those of you who say its good what are the settings you use?
Fender Texas Special Strat
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
^i want to know that too. cuz mine is nowhere better than "okay" with my vintage single coil pickups. I think it'd be better with humbuckers though. real warm humbuckers.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Well I have both and its not so hot. The clean is ok but its bov sounding. I have done the patch lead trick and that thickens the sound but not great I would agree. I would buy another amp but there is nothing close to that in price thats worth getting thats tube
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
maybe a windsor studio from peavey?

u have to turn up this amp to get a decent sound out of it. so far, upgraded speakers, tube swaps, no good. i need to turn it up.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I've got one of these and I think its awesome. However, I have done a couple of mods to it but it was still great out the box. I have changed the speaker to a celestion G12T-75 and changed the phase inverter pre-amp valve to a JJ Tesla cryogenically treated valve. This has tightened the bottom end, added a touch more mids and slightly fattened the overal sound.

This amp nails the early Iron Maiden tone. I'm using a fender usa strat with a dual humbucker config. It's heavy, thick and is brimming with harmonics using OD2 channel and its a so much fun to play.

My settings;

treble = 7.5
Mids = 7.5
Bass = 7
Gain = 6.5

I only use OD2 for anything distorted.

The clean channel is crisp, clear and bright.

Gain = 3
Treble = 6
Mids = 6.5
Bass = 5
Yeah, I have a DSL 401. It's great, check out my profile, all my songs are recorded from it.
I think the one thing that it needs is tightening at the bottom end, could you tell me more about that mod?
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Quote by turkish_bathmat
I think the one thing that it needs is tightening at the bottom end, could you tell me more about that mod?

Just swap the stock speaker for either a Celestion Vintage 30 or a Celestion G12T-75. Either of those speakers will make a deffinite improvement. The pre-amp valve located behind the power-amp valves is the phase inverter. If you change this to a new JJ Tesla valve it deffinety takes away some top end harshness, adds a touch nore mids and just fattens up the sound a tad. You will find though that the louder the amp is cranked, the tighter and more defined the bottom end becomes anyway.
i have it, i dont like it
i play heavy stuff though.
it gets way too fuzzy and muddy
doesn't really sound like a great tube amp
but it would be great for blues i am sure.
what do you play?
Quote by b00m_
i have it, i dont like it
i play heavy stuff though.
it gets way too fuzzy and muddy
doesn't really sound like a great tube amp
but it would be great for blues i am sure.
what do you play?

Don't have the gain any higher than 7. There's no need for anymore gain than that anyway.

The amp isn't suited to nu metal or any modern metal really. But the only heavy stuff I play on it is Iron Maiden. It does that tone very well.
Quote by XtAsY2007
Don't have the gain any higher than 7. There's no need for anymore gain than that anyway.

The amp isn't suited to nu metal or any modern metal really. But the only heavy stuff I play on it is Iron Maiden. It does that tone very well.

yes, i dont play modern metal or nu metal.

i don't have the gain any higher than 6. i can get some okay ac/dc tones out of it. but that's not what i like. this amp has done me good though. i am upgrading to a dsl50, got the cab, getting the head in a week. i plugged the 1960a cab into my dsl401, it sounded heaps better. but still not as great as i would like it to be. dsl50 will fix that.
Quote by b00m_
yes, i dont play modern metal or nu metal.

i don't have the gain any higher than 6. i can get some okay ac/dc tones out of it. but that's not what i like. this amp has done me good though. i am upgrading to a dsl50, got the cab, getting the head in a week. i plugged the 1960a cab into my dsl401, it sounded heaps better. but still not as great as i would like it to be. dsl50 will fix that.

Hmmm, all the JCM2000 series amps sound very similar really.

I think the best thing really Marshall wise is the old JCM 800. Can't beat it.
Quote by XtAsY2007
Hmmm, all the JCM2000 series amps sound very similar really.

I think the best thing really Marshall wise is the old JCM 800. Can't beat it.

to me the 401 andly different. gain wise. the dsl50's gain is MUCH better. imo of course.
have you played the dsl50, if so, through which cab.?
The jcm2000 is an okay amp, alot better than the valvestate marshalls. Like people have said, its okay at best, when I tried it the cleans were lifeless and abit dull, I couldnt get a good 'twang' sound out of it, even though I was using a tele (the guitar that started twang), and OD seemed abit lifeless as well, but I didnt have enough time to fiddle with that, only 30 or so minutes on the OD side of things.

In the end of things, its an okay amp, better than the AVT/valvestate series but you may be able to get a better amp for the price, for example the Laney VC30 (IMO better sounding that the LC tone-wise, but not as high gained, great for blues/rock) and LC30
Last edited by Hakanku at Feb 20, 2008,
i honetsly think that the dsl401 has put the jcm2000 series down. it seems like an 'outsider' marshall amp, if you get what i mean. it maybe just the valves, but the dsl401 sounds nothing like the dsl/tsl halfstacks.
DSL/TSL series are REALLY good amps. They only need to have their bias set right ( check out www.eurotubes.com for a video on how to do that ), and better-than-stock tubes in them ( I use TAD or JJ tubes ). The amps are so-so with stock tubes and the bias set at the factory (or not all it seems, sometimes ), but once they're setup right, beware...
Really, well I should bear that in mind, mine has seen some action, I think the volume knob needs looking at as it crackless a bit when you turn it up
PRS SE Singlecut
Jim Dunlop Cry Baby
Vox VT30
Definitely have its bias set and change the tubes to JJs from eurotubes, they're the single best investment I made in my JCM2000 ... I also use eminence Governor speakers with my TSL and they're a great match, they sound somewhere between V30s and greenbacks, but are cheaper than both...