I want my action to be a tiny bit lower on my strat and I was wondering if I could just lower these two screws

Or would I have to do other stuff too, like truss rod, (If that's the case I'll bring it in to a shop and get them to do it) But I was just wondering if that's all you need to do for a bit lower action, thanks.
You could, then afterwards you could adjust strings individually at the saddles if one or two strings are giving you problems. But you won't get the best action (with no buzz problems) possible unless you know how to straighten the neck with the truss rod after adjusting the action.
If you're just doing a little tweak, then go ahead and lower the screws, it should be fine.
vg strat? i played one and the action was perfect.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
those two screws are to stabilize the tremolo. if you tighten it, you'll have less ability to go up and down on the tremolo.

you should be adjusting the saddle screws (u have 12 of them, 2 on each saddle) they're small, black, and requires a hex key to turn it. very small one. turn those counter-clockwise to lower the action.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by zackk
vg strat? i played one and the action was perfect.

The action is going to be different on every one.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Lower the saddles. Those screws you circled won't affect your action, and by adjusting your truss rod you'll just screw something up....

EDIT: EC Beat me to it....
^adjusting your truss rod won't screw anything up until you go past certain extent. it might introduce some fret buzz, but that's as far as you'd go if you're scared of the truss rod (like most people on this forum are).
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Ichimaru
The action is going to be different on every one.

yeah, that is true, but the one i played was amazing.
my gear: ibanez destroyer( with gibson 500t pickup), epiphone les paul plus,ampeg electric, marshall jcm2000 triple super lead half stack
Mines a 2005 Deluxe Strat actually, came with nice setup however I feel like trying it with a bit lower action. I just took the closest fitting picture to my guitar off the internet.. lol
^ thats cool too, i've never played one of those, but i've heard they're great. it should be really good once you get the action lowered.
Quote by ECistheBest
^adjusting your truss rod won't screw anything up until you go past certain extent. it might introduce some fret buzz, but that's as far as you'd go if you're scared of the truss rod (like most people on this forum are).

With no disrespect towards TS, I was assuming that if he doesn't know how to adjust the action on his guitar, that he would probably need to steer clear of the truss rod for the time being.

DS
Quote by Death-Speak
With no disrespect towards TS, I was assuming that if he doesn't know how to adjust the action on his guitar, that he would probably need to steer clear of the truss rod for the time being.

DS

None taken, I will admit that I have no experience in this area, and until I speak to someone personally about adjusting the truss rod, I am not going to touch it myself. Which is why I said in my post asking for ways to lower my action without touching the truss rod. Because everything else is reversible and I really don't want to screw up the neck on this guitar. I've been playing for 8 years though and I wouldn't have a problem adjusting anything else as long as I know what it's purpose is on the guitar. I saw those two screws on the bridge and it seemed to me that they would lower the strings if I lowered them, however even if they do that I don't know if it's what they are really there for. I want to know the proper way to lower strings. I do understand the basis of what the truss rod does, but I've never turned it so I wouldn't know how to react before I royally ****ed something up. lol
Last edited by AthenasGhost at Feb 19, 2008,

EC is just saying to adjust the tiny pegs on the front of each saddle, using a tiny allen wrench.

dont worry about the rest.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Quote by jj1565

EC is just saying to adjust the tiny pegs on the front of each saddle, using a tiny allen wrench.

dont worry about the rest.

Yeah I got that thanks, Now I just have to find an Allen key that size... I lost the one that came with my guitar lol
i didnt see this mentioned but it would def help to have a micrometer (small ruler that measures up to 64ths) most action i believe is between 3/64 and 4/64. at the very least you need it for a reference point esp with individual saddles.

edit so were clear, im talking about measuring the space between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret at the 12th fret
you can just lower action until you get buzz that transmits thru the amp, then back it up a bit.

action of a guitar is determined, by player's preference, and limited by the guitar's quality and players ability to set it up properly.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011