Poll: What defines a better guitarist?
Poll Options
View poll results: What defines a better guitarist?
A lot of advanced techniques.
11 22%
Reliability, keeping in time, not screwing up.
28 56%
Other (mention)
11 22%
Voters: 50.
I've been playing guitar for four years. I wouldn't define myself as a good guitarist, given that I'm allergic to solos. And the general opinion is that solos is what electric guitar is all about, right?

The lead guitarist of my band is a natural shredding legend who can use pinch harmonics and sweeping techniques no problem. But he says I'm a better guitarist because he gets tired/sloppy quickly.

So when talking about who's a good or better guitarist, what's more important?

1) A dictionary of difficult techniques.
2) Solid, reliable playing.
3) Other (mention)
Last edited by Ki' at Feb 19, 2008,
Quote by Ki'
. And the general opinion is that solos is what electric guitar is all about, right?

No, no, no, no and no.
Guitar solos might be the most audibly outstanding guitar part in a song but by no means is it the be-all and end-all of guitar. Plenty of electric guitarists never play guitar solos, but does that stop them from being good? Of course not.

Play whatever you want to play. If you want to shred, learn it, but if you're happy playing rhythym then stick with it.
Essentially it comes down to compositional skills, but if you can combine that with technical profficiency then you're in business.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
You can have all the skill and theory knowledge in the world,

but its all nothing without creativity.

To me, thats what defines a great guitarist.
I'd say solid technique that's reliable, ability to keep time, and a good live player who enjoys themselves. Everything else is just a bonus in guitarists.
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Creativity, Ingenuity and Attention to detail in your playing. Other than, being fluent and accurate is what its all about. I think the most talented guitarists are always trying new stuff.
Reliability, and a good sense of melody. To me, these are the two most important things for any musician - guitarist or otherwise. So, these things are also what I say defines a better guitarist.

That said, I also put a lot of stock in a good stage performance/charisma, and a sense of modesty. Nobody likes an up-their-own arse tosser who thinks he's flawless, and nobody likes someone who can play well, but on stage just stands there like a statue staring at their fretboard or their feet.
Quote by The Spoon

That should be the the only option in TS's poll, because its 100% true.
Quote by The Spoon

With a really strong knowledge of theory and a good grasp on various techniques, you can get creative. IF you know how everything works, then you can create some magnificent pieces
Quote by sum_ugly_man
With a really strong knowledge of theory and a good grasp on various techniques, you can get creative. IF you know how everything works, then you can create some magnificent pieces

Which proves my point.
i dont think it should be about being good or better.. its not about playing a thousand notes faster then the next guy...

i think its more of a question as to what can a person do with a guitar thats interesting... everyone can play a guitar just as good as the next dude as far as im concerned. but to me, a person that trys to do something interesting or different is more impressive then someone that.. doesnt

a dictonary of difficult techniques is impressive.. a guy that can play yngwie malmsteen is impressive.. but id be even more impressed if a guitarist trained his pet squirell to strum stairway to heaven. to me its all about seeing something different.. and solid reliable playing is indeed impressive
acually to me...what defines you as a guitarist is if you can write catchy songs thats it...if thats funk, thats great...if its shred, thats great...if its metal, thats great...but if you can write catchy riffs, meledies, and solos and stuff thats all that really matters...because seriously...most famous guitar players today (not old school, old school guitarists were good e.x. everything before the grunge era) dont know anything, cant write catchy tunes, and can barley play...idk why there famous...its gay...but anyways just write catchy stuff...
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Better than hooked on crack, I suppose. I'd rather know my kids are safe at home beating their meat than out in the world robbing old women for their crack fix.

Quote by *sigh*
What a huge coincidence. I have a butthole also.
Quote by bi-ah!
acually to me...what defines you as a guitarist is if you can write catchy songs thats it...if thats funk, thats great...if its shred, thats great...if its metal, thats great...but if you can write catchy riffs, meledies, and solos and stuff thats all that really matters...because seriously...most famous guitar players today (not old school, old school guitarists were good e.x. everything before the grunge era) dont know anything, cant write catchy tunes, and can barley play...idk why there famous...its gay...but anyways just write catchy stuff...

no....

just no.....
Gear:
Fender Mexican Standard Strat(Sunburst, Rosewood, Custom Shop '69 pickups)
Fender Super Champ XD
EHX Big Muff Pi
Yamaha Acoustic
Alvarez Silver Anniversary Acoustic
For me it's someone who I will stop and listen to. It could be tone, technique or creativity or any mix of the three. It's got to be interesting.
You've gotta make it sound nice. I don't care if you're playing the easiest song ever written, if you can play it smoothly and perfectly, with every bend just right and every note right on time, then you're a great guitarist.
you haven't got the techniques down if you play sloppily so reliability and advanced techniques are one and the same in my book.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Ki'
I've been playing guitar for four years. I wouldn't define myself as a good guitarist, given that I'm allergic to solos. And the general opinion is that solos is what electric guitar is all about, right?

The lead guitarist of my band is a natural shredding legend who can use pinch harmonics and sweeping techniques no problem. But he says I'm a better guitarist because he gets tired/sloppy quickly.

So when talking about who's a good or better guitarist, what's more important?

1) A dictionary of difficult techniques.
2) Solid, reliable playing.
3) Other (mention)

id say 2 and 3 are the most imprtant. 3) would be creativity and and a distinct style. I think Rythm guitar is just as important as lead and there is MUCH more to guitar than soloing. I can solo much better than my rythm guitarist, but just like ur lead guitarist (and no i am not him because im not a shredding legend) i can be pretty sloppy. My rythm guitarist can play master of puppets for ever without getting tired, i wish i could do that. I think rythm guitar, especially metal rythm guitar, is much harder because you are going throughout the entire song and you have to be spot on. I have a deep respect for rythm guitarists, it takes a lot more discipline to be a good rythm player.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
How about all of the above?

PS: Good vibrato helps. Nice short yet complex phrases...Not overusing speed, original licks. All reasons why Mike Bloomfield should be considered one of the greatest guitarists of all time.
Quote by The Spoon

Agreed
Ibanez RG2EX2 (w. EMG 81/85)
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60w DSP Tube
Ashdown Fallen Angel 412 Cab
If the guitarist can play to tell a story, then I consider them a good musician.

As in, yes, I love Dream Theater, and I belive that every member of that band is and extremely talented musician. They're songs tell a story from opening note to end note. Same with symphony X.

But on that same idea I would classify someone like Elliott Smith as an unbelievable musician. His songs speak volumes in minutes, and are very bueatifully done.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
"If I said you had a beautiful body, would you hold it against me?"
Other:

A balancing of good rhythm ability, and good lead ability.
RIFT.CANYON.DREAMS.

Quote by Oroborous
I'm trying to cover one of my bedroom walls in semen. I'm about half way done.

Pics coming soon
I say the ability to bond and just "click" with your bandmates so that all of the band can become great.

Also, modesty and being stuck up instantly kill whatever greatness was once there.

But reliability, and creativity usually are main factors; at least, when I look at what a great guitarist is.
you can play some of the most technical music in the world but if you can only do it 1 out of 50 times you suck
other thing help but if you can only do it once or twice it doesn't matter
thus i rest my case
The nice part about being a pessimist is that you are constantly being either proven right or pleasantly surprised
-George Will

Also caught her playing fallout boy on my guitar, changed my strings and cleaned it the next day.