Page 1 of 2
Any body else obsessed with this guys novels? Fight Club was both an amazing movie and book, and I'm currently reading Lullaby and Choke. Apparently they're making a Choke movie. I'm excited.
Quote by aluminum.maiden
you are a BEAST Crovox
Quote by UndeadPaperclip
I think I've gained so many gay points reading the past 3 pages of this thread that if I gave another man a blowjob I'd actually lose some.
Member #23 of the official Alkaline Trio Fan Club. PM greenfinger182 to join.
I just read Fight Club after being a fan of the movie for a long time (user name )

I'm 8 chapters into Choke right now.
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

Wii Is For Queers! Co-Founder Of The "We Hate Wii" Club
Return to a Condition of Being...<-Band. Add plz!
I'm reading Invisible Monsters, and I read his short story Guts. He's a strange author.
Who dat?
I have read Fight Club and Survivor- both excellent. Reading Choke now, loving it so far.
PSN: Shibuib
Steam: Drag_on88rr@hotmail.com
add me

Elvis Presley aint got no soul, Chuck Berry is rock and roll.

日本語をシグに入れるのは馬鹿やキザ野郎のする事だぜ。
I read guts. That alone is enough to make me love him, even though I haven't read any other of his stuff.

I wanna get Haunted and Choke, but I can't find them anywhere, and I certainly know my school library won't carry them.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
I've read and love Fight Club and part of Guts, I should get some more because his work is awesome.
Chuck Kicks ass! i read fight club and loved it, im going to read Haunted and Rant.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Lullaby, Choke, Fight Club, and Invisible Monsters are all amazing. I've got to get me his newer ones. They're making a movie for Choke right now.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
I love every single book of his that I've read. Lullaby, Fight Club, Choke, Invisible Monsters, Survivor and Rant. I really need to read Diary and Haunted. He's definitely my favourite author...
Choke is quite possibly the most superb novel I have ever read!!!!
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
Whats that new one he's got coming out soon? Snuff? Whats that one gonna be about?
Quote by Article
She pulled off his left testicle and tried to swallow it, before spitting it out. A friend handed it back to Mr Jones saying "That's yours"

I recently read Fight Club for the first time, and it was really good. I'm reading Haunted right now.
Quote by Trefellin
You know a music scene is fucked up when it becomes difficult to keep track of who killed who, who committed suicide and who alledgedly engaged in cannibalism.

LastFM
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Whats that new one he's got coming out soon? Snuff? Whats that one gonna be about?

Its about the world's largest snuff film, one woman about 1000 men, other plot twists ensue, I believe it comes out this may
Rag Mop Do Do Duh DoDo Dedo Do!!!!!

R_A_G_G_M_O_P_P

RAGMOP
This guy turned to shit very very very fast.

He was intriguin when he started, because honestly, at the time most authors had to write for one type of crowd - The middle aged single mother looking for beach reading. Kudos to him for inspiring a generation to pick up books.

But the guy has essentially written the same novel about 10 fucking times, with the same nihlistic themes. He writes incoherent rants and pointless information about "dark ande nihlistic" things like sex, drugs, suicide, etc., and somewhere in his stream of pointless rambling he tries to tack on a plot.

Survivor was OK. So was Choke, but this guy is nowhere near the revolutionary he was, if you can even call him one. A trashed talent, in my opinion.
Poor advice.
Did anyone else almost puke after seeing this guys name in the title? I just read Guts a few days ago in a thread on here and well...
Quote by ukdudeinuk
Go whippingpost!!

He was intriguin when he started, because honestly, at the time most authors had to write for one type of crowd - The middle aged single mother looking for beach reading. Kudos to him for inspiring a generation to pick up books.

But the guy has essentially written the same novel about 10 fucking times, with the same nihlistic themes. He writes incoherent rants and pointless information about "dark ande nihilistic" things like sex, drugs, suicide, etc., and somewhere in his stream of pointless rambling he tries to tack on a plot.

Survivor was OK. So was Choke, but this guy is nowhere near the revolutionary he was, if you can even call him one. A trashed talent, in my opinion.

Well, I get your point. Because I read Fight Club and I'm at the beginning of Choke and I see many parallels thus far. But it's still entertaining. And saying Palahniuk sucks because he only writes about "dark and nihilistic" themes is like saying Agatha Christie sucks ass for writing nothing but mysteries. It's just his style. Take it for what it's worth or don't read his books at all.
Quote by Article

But the guy has essentially written the same novel about 10 fucking times, with the same nihlistic themes. He writes incoherent rants and pointless information about "dark ande nihlistic" things like sex, drugs, suicide, etc., and somewhere in his stream of pointless rambling he tries to tack on a plot.

You don't like anyone, do you? Chuck Palahniuk, Jesse Lacey etc.

His books have similar themes because that's his style of writing, "Oh noes, JK Rowling has written the same book seven times, she didn't bother even thinking up new names for characters"

How many books of his have you read? Let me guess Fight Club and Choke? Those books are very similar at times yes, but other than that you are very wrong. I've read 6 out of the 8 published and find them all different and thoroughly enjoyable. Rant was every bit as fantastic as Fight Club so he has hardly "turned to shit"
I'll for sure have to buy those books now.
Quote by Jearl

...dont play Fender just because its Fender.

Gear:
Ibanez SZ520QM
Peavey Rotor EXP
Squier Bullet (heavily modified)
Mesa Roadster Head & 2x12 cab
There was a semester where everyone in school was reading one of his books.

I was never interested in any of his work.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
You don't like anyone, do you? Chuck Palahniuk, Jesse Lacey etc.

His books have similar themes because that's his style of writing, "Oh noes, JK Rowling has written the same book seven times, she didn't bother even thinking up new names for characters"

How many books of his have you read? Let me guess Fight Club and Choke? Those books are very similar at times yes, but other than that you are very wrong. I've read 6 out of the 8 published and find them all different and thoroughly enjoyable. Rant was every bit as fantastic as Fight Club so he has hardly "turned to shit"

Yeah, it's a style of writing. A style of writing that gets very very stale and stagnant when not kept fresh, which he doesn't do. I've read Choke, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, Rant (which I thought was terrible) and Lullaby and only enjoyed two, because it became apparent that he's a one trick pony.

And what's with the J.K. Rowling shit? Harry Potter is a series, not seven unrelated books.

And I don't like Chuck or Jesse Lacey, so I must hate everyone right? Maybe I just don't like most scene idols.
Poor advice.
Chuck Palahniuk is a really good writer imo...
ADELOS
POP PUNK
for fans of...

Motion City Soundtrack, Get Up Kids, Jimmy Eat World, Transit, Brand New, Dashboard Confessional, Early November, Fall Out Boy, Jawbreaker, Polar Bear Club, The Story So Far, the Wonder Years, Something Corporate.
I am almost infished with invisible monsters, I've got about 50 pages left. maybe less.

I've read Fight Club, Choke, Inivisible Monsters (well almost done) and survivor
and I own Fight Club, invisible Monsters and Rant, I plan on getting Snuff when it comes out as well, then after that I'll probably read Lullaby or diary.

oh and TS, Choke has been made alread. they showed it at sundance, then Fox entertainment or w/e bought the rights and it won't be out till august... bastards... all I know is that its a small budget film. But I can't wait to see it
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Yeah, it's a style of writing. A style of writing that gets very very stale and stagnant when not kept fresh, which he doesn't do. I've read Choke, Survivor, Invisible Monsters, Rant (which I thought was terrible) and Lullaby and only enjoyed two, because it became apparent that he's a one trick pony.

And what's with the J.K. Rowling shit? Harry Potter is a series, not seven unrelated books.

And I don't like Chuck or Jesse Lacey, so I must hate everyone right? Maybe I just don't like most scene idols.

I don't think anyone is calling him a "scene idol" I think people like him and he gets great reviews. So either use the phrase "in my opinion' more or figure out who knows more about books, you or the NY times.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
so this is what I dug up on the Choke movie... what do you guys think of the cast? the director? thoughts, opinions, etc.

EDIT: Forgot the link... duh: http://imdb.com/title/tt1024715/
Quote by Article

I don't think I've ever heard of any of the actors in the movie. and it still pisses me off that t was shot in 25 days... and we need to wait for ****ing august....
Quote by bpoeoanry
go back to sleep
Waking up with boobs? Is there a visine for that.
Kelly Macdonald is not hot enough to play paige marshall. Sam rockwell is a cool choice though. I hope this is good.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
I recognize Sam Rockwell, I'm just not sure what movie it was... but yeah, he seems like a good choice for Victor.

EDIT: Charlie's Angels! Thats it.
Quote by Article

Quote by stellar_legs
Maybe I just don't like most scene idols.

I don't know...Chuck's really good, but I see what you're getting at, the one-trick-pony.
I read fight club in 8th grade and fell in love with it, then invisible monsters, and liked it a lot. Haunted shortly after. Those books I thought, kept it fresh, and were the most cohesive in terms of a plot, and actually said different things (at least most of the time...) as far as theme went. Its been a few years and I just picked up Diary, and after a breath between Chuck books, its easy to see the cynicysm (sp?) about his style. But, in his defense, I think he's got a view that he's stuck on, and he's still dealing with the issues that are plaguing him, that keep on coming up in his books. Once he grows, his books will grow, and mayble we'll get another fight club.

I hope.

I agree with you somewhat. I really liked Fight Club and Survivor but soon found his writing too samey. I found Lullaby pretty self-indulgent and it seemed as though he didn't care whether the reader was bored or not.
I've read Fight Club but I've not bothered to read any of his other stuff because I don't like to stay on one author for ages. Fight Club was amazing though, and I suppose I'll pick up some of his other stuff later on.
Fight Club and Survivor are two of my favorite Books. Currently reading Invisible Monsters.

Btw, i'm stoked for the Survivor movie due this year. ^_^
Choke is a cool book, but I'd rather see Survivor made into a movie.
"Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example." - Mark Twain

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living; the world owes you nothing; it was here first." - Samuel Langhornne Clemens
Choke was amazing.
HEY
Do you like anime/manga?
PM me about buying the graphic novels I'm trying to sell
Yea im really starting to like his work. This chick im really good friends with started giving me his books to read and theyre great. Ive only gotten through fightclub and Rant so far, but both were amazing. I especially liked rant just because it was so ****ed.
And before he died, Taran-Ish had scrawled upon the altar of chrysolite with coarse shaky strokes the sign of DOOM.

Indeed I do see your point. I like all that I've read so far though; Fight Club, Choke, and been trying to finish up Haunted for a while.

I'm still astonished at how well Fincher did with the FC movie; well I guess that was everybody that worked on that movie, not just him.
"Sticking Feathers up your butt does not make you a chicken"--Tyler Durden

Cufk, TisH, Sips
I'm not big on the Fight Club movie, either.

It's seen as this stroke of genius, this insanely creative movie. But it's a very Hollywood movie, with an insane amount of money put into it, a Chemical Bros. soundtrack and A-List actors. And I didn't like the book much, so the movie is the same plot lost amongst juvenile philosophy of nihlism and "destroying the world" or whatever, which is why I don't like the majority of Chuck's books - It's like he's written this philosophy that only 16 year old boys can relate to.

That's my own two cents. Nobody crucify me.
Poor advice.
Page 1 of 2