I want a Mesa Triple Rectifier but...I'm a COMPLETE n00b when it comes to tube amps. I have a Crate 1200...something 120w obviously solid-state. It cost cheap, and I was more of a n00b at the time, "Hey this thing is 120w(not knowing the difference between solid-state and tube), and it's only $500 for the stack? Awesome!" Yeah, I was a n00b and still kind of am.

But I read on Mesa's site that Metallica uses Mesa, Bullet for My Flame me for liking them uses Mesa, Megadeth does, so on and so forth. My sound is pretty ****ty, just micing my cab with an SM-57, sometimes even a couple of them, and a Sennheiser e609. I'm still pretty new setting up for recording, so I even went as far as getting a god damn Guitar Port! I know to truly get a good tone, you need a tube amp. Blah blah, but what's with the different channels, and what do i need, or why should I want more than one? If anybody could help me out I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6
Squier Strat (signed by Rob Zombie!)

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensenble
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Last edited by StillSoundRG at Feb 19, 2008,
You don't need a stack, and you don't need 120 watts. You can find a great sounding used tube combo with your budget.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I'm deployed right now, so when I get back, budget isn't a problem. I mean I don't wanna drop 3 grand on new gear or anything, but $1,000 and under would be better. But what are the channels for anyway? And what do most bands record their music out of, like a stack or a combo? Or what?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
lol, a good mesa amp for under $1000

most guitarist use stacks for recording
Let me rephrase that..a good Mesa amp for under 2 grand
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
yeaa you dont need a stack...

a mesa dual rec combo is just fine. and if you dont have the money, check out a b-52, they are reffered to by many as a 'poor mans mesa.'
10/7/07- Van Halen
3/16/08- Iron Maiden
1/9/09- AC/DC
7/8/09- Judas Priest
11/10/09- Metallica
7/3/10- Iron Maiden
7/24/10- Rush
4/15/11- Rush-

Quote by LordBishek
with a penis as small as mine, I don't have a very humorous take on the world.
Quote by StillSoundRG
I'm deployed right now, so when I get back, budget isn't a problem. I mean I don't wanna drop 3 grand on new gear or anything, but $1,000 and under would be better. But what are the channels for anyway? And what do most bands record their music out of, like a stack or a combo? Or what?

for a triple rec half stack youll be looking at around 3 grand if its new
probably a decent amount cheaper if its used
and if you want a sick metal tone for a little cheaper
look into a peavey 6505 +
Vikings? What Vikings? We are but poor, simple farmers. The village was burning when we got here, and the people must have slain themselves.
Are the Deal Rec combo's loud enough for jamming?
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
Are the Deal Rec combo's loud enough for jamming?

Wattage doesn't measure volume. A 15 watt tube combo will deafen you if you stand in the same room with it while it's cranked. Why are you dead set on Mesa? For $2,000 there are far better amps out there than the Rectifiers.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Again, I don't know the real difference between 120w Solid and 120w tube. And if this gear costs that much for the great quality, I'll up my budget to the necessary prices
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by sabres61
yeaa you dont need a stack...

a mesa dual rec combo is just fine. and if you dont have the money, check out a b-52, they are reffered to by many as a 'poor mans mesa.'

More like the poor mans recto. People tend to forget that Mesa does make amps other than the recto but yeah B-52 is a good budget minded alternative. Channels are for switching different sounds. For example if you have a a 3 channel amp one channel might be cleans, one might be gain, and one might be "more gain" or something to that effect. These usually come with a footswitch so that you can switch in between the channels while playing so say you have a clean intro but it goes into a distorted breakdown. You just start out on the clean channel and then switch to the distortion channel with the footswitch. But yeah look into the B-52 AT-112 or even the 212 or the AT-100 if you insist on a stack.
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
I'm not really dead set on Mesa, but I do want a killer metal tone, and know how to and use what equipment to capture that tone.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Not too many guitar stores around these parts of Iraq. So I figured I'd ask the guys with the gear themselves.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by Archeo Avis
Wattage doesn't measure volume. A 15 watt tube combo will deafen you if you stand in the same room with it while it's cranked. Why are you dead set on Mesa? For $2,000 there are far better amps out there than the Rectifiers.

*COUGH* Marshall *COUGH*

JCM800 Combo anyone?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
I agree, try some other amps out. Doesn't have to be a Mesa..

Someone above mentioned B-52, and I want to agree that you should at least check out the AT-100 or the AT-212 combo rectifier. I have the AT-212, and it's pretty sick and loud as hell. Both the head and the combo are the same amp and deal 100watts. Bought it after researching it and trying it out while looking at some reasonably high end amps including Mesas... got a deal and got it for a little more than $500..

Also, like stated above, try the 6505....Try a bunch man..

Have you ever played through a Mesa?
Washburn D-12
Ibanez RG
Ibanez RG 7321
Epiphone Les Paul / EMG 81 85
Fender MIM Ash Stratocaster
Digitech Whammy
Small Stone Phaser
Boss SD-1-Modded
Boss MT-2-Modded
Boss CE-5
Boss DD-3-Modded
ISP Decimator
B-52 AT-212
Quote by thankyougermany
*COUGH* Marshall *COUGH*

JCM800 Combo anyone?

...which doesn't sound even remotely similar to Mesa. They do completely different genres. Besides, Marshall is ridiculously overpriced for it's worth.
I really liked Marshall's but then I heard a lot of bad stuff about them and their hard rock/metal tones.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
I actually did play through a Mesa...Stiletto I think it was. And the whole tube amp thing really got confusing. When I turned the Master up the volume didn't go up until I turned the Mid up...it was ****ing weird...
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG
I really liked Marshall's but then I heard a lot of bad stuff about them and their hard rock/metal tones.

Ah, well that's true. JCM800's aren't great for metal..... although Kerry King uses one.

If you can afford the Mesa, get it, they sound better than the B52s. I can't really think of any other good metal amps (Except the Peavey 5150 or whatever everyone on here loves) with tubes.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Alright I greatly appreciate it guys. Thanks for all the input and info.
Amps
Mesa Dual Recto 3 Ch
Peavey 6505 Combo

Cab
ENGL E212VH Cab

Guitars
Epi Explorer
Schecter Damien 6

Pedals
ISP Decimator
Dunlop Crybaby Original
Boss GE-7 Equalizer
Quote by StillSoundRG

We should be thanking you! You're the one that's in that hellhole Iraq.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
Quote by StillSoundRG

I have the Dual rec with a Marshall cab, it's WAYYYY LOUD!!! If I turn it to 12 oclock, I can move stuff on tables. So whenever I want to imitate the old school football game, I just put stuff on a table and crank it up, they move around. It's kinda funny.

If you are in IRAQ, stay safe man and ge home soon!
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
If I were you, I'd get a single rectifier, they're on ebay for what $700-$900ish? Even though the dual's are around the same price, I THINK. Last time I checked which was a while ago the single and dual's were the same priceish. Nonetheless, you'll never need thoes 100w man, I keep my Roadster on 50W all the time. + Used cab.
Matthew 7:7 ""Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you."

Pop Punk! Check us out!: Flinch
You should read the stickies especially this one (Amp Q&A's):

Quote by D Man

What are the differences I need to know about if I?m going to use valves?

Well, there are a few drawbacks to using this archaic technology.

Valves have to be heated up to work. If you put the high voltages of an amp across cold valves you?ll damage them and they?ll wear out faster. For this reason valve amps have an extra ?feature?. The standby switch.

?Standby? is like idling over an engine. Its running but its not going anywhere. So a valve amp has two different kind of ?on?: ?on standby? (idling) and ?on? (screaming ahead with blistering solos and skull crushing riffs?or not, as the case may be).

You should let your valves heat up for at least a minute before switching the amp fully on. To do this you switch it on to ?on standby?, and wait. Then switch it ?on?. Off --> On standby --> On.

You can keep the valves hot (say, in a break of a gig) by switching the amp from on to standby. BUT leaving the amp on standby for extended periods will burn out the valves just like playing it will. Leave it on standby only if you know you?re going to be playing it again in the next few minutes.

When switching off just reverse the process; on --> on standby --> off. There?s no need to wait here, either, just knock it off.

Are there any things I really shouldn?t do with a valve amp?

Well, yes, good question! Never, ever, ever run it without a speaker attached. You?ll be very lucky indeed if your valves survive it (and your amp might not either).
By a similar token, make sure you match impedance of any speaker you run with the amp.

Exercise some common sense (y?know, the usual, don?t douse it with a hose, don?t throw heavy objects at it, or it down the stairs, burning smells are NOT normal, that kind of thing) and you?ll be fine. If in doubt, get in touch with a professional
How loud are different amplifiers?

The power of an amplifier is a rough guide to how loud it is. This is measured in watts (W), for example 100W. There are two basic ways of measuring power. Peak output and RMS.

The actual voltage of the signal (input and amplified) varies over time. Think of this varience as a sine wave. Sometimes its high, sometimes its zero, half the time its negative.

One way of measuring the magnitude of this is just the height of the top of the wave. This is ?peak output?. Anothr way is to estimate the average output over time taking into account the fact that half the wave is negative voltage and most of it is lower than the peak output, and is called RMS (root mean squared). Most amps output is given in watts RMS.

But this is important: the wattage of your amp (RMS or otherwise) is the electrical power of the amp. It doesn?t translate straight to sound volume. Most of the power of your amp is used to make heat, electricity and the magnetic fields in the transformers. Very little is used to make actual sound energy. To put this into perspective a 100W amp is ten times more powerful, electrically, than a 10W amp, but only twice as loud (as a rule of thumb).

What the hells so good about high wattage, then?

Not all that much, after a certain point, but more powerful amps have more headroom. A 100W amp will sound far better than a 10W amp at the same volume because it can handle the power better, and produce a more musical output. It?s kind of like a Ferrari and a Ford, both can do 70mph, but the Ferrari can do it better.

What amplifier do I need?

That depends on whether you want a valve or solid-state amp. That decision is a matter of nothing but personal taste, but its important as follows.

One of the differences between valve and SS amps is valves sound louder to the human ear (they aren?t actually any louder they just sound it).

As a rule we have for SS:

10-30W: practice on your own.
30-50W: practice with a band or recording.
50 to 100W (or more): Gigs (as much wattage as you ever need)

And for valves:

<20W: practice on your own
20-30W Band practice/Recording
30-50W Gigging.
>50W Hearing damage.

Note there are overlaps because you can use any given wattage of amp at different volumes and for different purposes (!).

Don?t get an amp just for a tremendous wattage. Get one that you like the sound of and suits your needs. And when considering gigs, remember that the largest venues always have a house PA, which you can mike a small amp up through.

Now go try some amps out!

--------------------

Edit: P.S. Folks, I stopped posting here some time ago and I'm getting emails saying my inbox is full from people asking me questions about amps. That was all well and good back when I was an active member and I'd be happy to help, but its not sensible to send me messages now, because I dont check them, and I dont want my email clogged up (any more than it is!). If you have any questions, please ask in the body of the thread or start your own. Thanks.
Quote by CL/\SH

Quote by sanitarium1
...for the gigs im going to be playing its going to be 60% tone and 40% stage look, and I'd like the look of my rig to be able to back up its sound.

No.
No.
NO.
GOD DAMMIT NO.