Hey, folks. I need some recommendations on improving my speed. I've been trying to work at some of the first and second solos to Led Zeppelin's "Heartbreaker," but I'm getting my butt kicked, moreso on the first solo. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Hmm..I ran scales very slowly, and slowly built up speed until I could play them flawlessly fast.

Also for endurance, I just improvised as fast as I could till my hands burned.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
An obvious answer, I know, but start very slow. Slow enough that it's way too slow. then play it again a little faster. then a little faster. until you make any mistakes, then keep playing at that speed or slower until you master it at that speed. then go a little faster. then a little faster. Shall I continue?
Ha, thanks guys. I am a bit too impatient when it comes to doing things too slowly sometimes.
practice the lick slowly at a tempo you can easily do, with a metronome, for 21 days
after that, speed it up and then it will be fully ingrained into your muscle memory.
Quote by mosh_face
practice the lick slowly at a tempo you can easily do, with a metronome, for 21 days
after that, speed it up and then it will be fully ingrained into your muscle memory.

Woo! That's a long while. Alright, thanks for the advice.
better idea though it might not work, up the tempo faster than the song and try to play it at that speed. After a few times of ****ing up constantly, go back to normal tempo, doesn't seems so fast? I only suggest that because I take the slow, metronome it till u hit the right speed. Also, u don't need 21 days, that's a slwo yet effective thing, I, however, would pick a tempo, like half speed of normal tempo, and play the thing until i got it perfect 10x in a row, not just one. Then i upped the tempo by like 5 or 10 bpm till i hit the right speed. Good luck, speed is a bitch, but when you get it u can show off and get all the chicks!
^no, that won't work at all, it's quite possbily the silliest idea I've ever seen. You can't play something fast until you can play it slowly, trying to play it even faster will just make things worse.

Quote by Thrawn
Woo! That's a long while. Alright, thanks for the advice.

That's not a long time at all, the 21 days thing only works if you're already close to a level of ability where you're capable of playing a piece.

Depending on how good you currently are it's not unreasonable to expect it to take months or even years to be able to play a certain piece.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Feb 20, 2008,
play the solo slow and then just play it faster and faster until u get it
Slow it right down until you can play it totally flawlessly and go from there, gradually increasing your speed and getting it flawless at each tempo. Don't up the tempo until it becomes easy playing at your current speed.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by rhettro
Playing accurately and cleanly is the first step prior to speed.

Precisely.
Something my old guitar teacher always told me was 'Speed is a by-product of accuracy'.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1