I've been trying to expand my knowlege of chord theory and one problem I ran into was the formation of the chords. I know that a chord is based off of certain notes of the major scale depending on the type of chord you're forming (1, 3, 5 for Maj, 1, b3 , 5 for Min, etc) but I was wondering, since the formation of the major scale can vary (as in the "shape" not the actual way it's made) how do I know which way to form the major scale depending on the chord I want to make?
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Velvet Revolver/Alice in Chains- 10/7/07
Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Stone Temple Pilots- 8/22/08
I'm not sure that i correctly understand your question but I'll try to answer.

You play whichever shape sounds the best. There are consisting of the same notes so it just depends on what inversion or voicing you like best for the situation
ok, so there isnt a specific way i HAVE to play the chord, as long as the correct notes are being played?
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
Yep, just use a voicing that you like.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
ok, thanks for the help
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
one more question. say for example i want to play a Bm7, would i have to start my major scale (root) on a B note?
Gibson SG Standard
Dean Avalanche
Line 6 Spider II 30
Dunlop SW-95 Slash Wah

Foo Fighters - 1/17/08
Pearl Jam - 6/12/08
^You wouldn't play a major scale in that scenario. Read the "learn your theory" link in my sig twice, ask yourself what you don't understand, read it again, then ask questions about it in this thread.