I decided to make a couple of speaker cabinets for my shop project. I wanted to make the cabs have an input jack and a series out so I did some searching on the internet and found a couple of diagrams to help me out; They're in the attachments. The only thing I did differently was I made both cabinets like cabinet "B" except one in reverse polarity or the other. I have them wired up and they both work independently, but when I hook them both together I get no sound. I was wondering if anyone had an idea what the problem possibly could be.
Attachments:
WiringDiagram2.jpg
closed-circuit.gif
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
Blackheart little giant head
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Maybe try putting cab a in the sam polarity as cab "b" ??? its just a guess. but im doing electronics in uni so i thought id try n hazard a guess lol.

maybe by having the a cab in the opposite poloarity the plus terminal is pushing against the signal coming in from cab b.....

as i said just a guess.... but i hope it helps as it prooves im not wasting my time in uni haha.
I think the whole reason why they're suppose to be in reverse polarity is so that they end up in series; I'll try that though if I don't get any definite answers.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
the only other thing i could think of is that maybe something is shorted out or some supply fault or something like that or maybe the leads are faulty??
Anyways man let me know how it goes cuz im learning about amps, and like pre amp + power amp stages, speaker cabs etc in uni....itd be interesting to me to see how you get on

All the best dude rock on !!!
It could very well be that I have a short somewhere I wish I had something better than my $5 multimeter to check it though. Looking at the diagrams that I have it appears as though it should work. I'll have to wait til the weekend I have too many tests this week to mess with it in the evenings.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
talked to one of my friends today that's in an electronics class and he said that it might not be working because the gauge of wire I used could be too small. I used 16 gauge wire; I really don't think it's that, but if I accidentally wired the input jacks backwards (the opposite way) of the diagram would that cause a short somewhere?
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
Quote by shredzilla
talked to one of my friends today that's in an electronics class and he said that it might not be working because the gauge of wire I used could be too small. I used 16 gauge wire; I really don't think it's that, but if I accidentally wired the input jacks backwards (the opposite way) of the diagram would that cause a short somewhere?
Your friend in electronics class doesn't have a clue. If the wire was too small, it would affect the quality of the sound a bit and might even get hot if too much current was going through it. But it would still work, until the wire melted.

You're probably right about wiring one of the jacks incorrectly.
But theres more to this, than just figuring out that one issue.
The wiring you're working from is lame.
The guy who drew it must be smoking the same stuff your buddy has been.

There is no need to have different wiring for the two cabinets.
No need for one speaker to be out of phase in the wiring.
No need to have the jacks insulated from each other.
The way he designed the wiring, was like making 3 left turns
instead of making 1 right turn.

Okay kids, School is in session:

The bottom half of the drawing should work a treat.
The input to the cabinet is the top connection.
When another cabinet is connected to the bottom connector,
the two cabs are in series.
Every cabinet that is added to the chain is in series.
All speakers are in phase with each other.
All cabinets are wired identically.

Enjoy
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
thanks that makes sense. I'll give it a try and see what happens.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1
i figured out what the problem was with my other setup. it would have worked granted i wired the output jack correctly, but i had the jumper to the wrong tip. that's why it didn't work. i figured it all out and they are working as they should and they sound amazing together.
Current Gear:
ESP LTD MH-250
Ibanez rg470
Peavey ValveKing 112
2 homemade 112 cabinets
Boss SD-1