Hey all, I'm new to the Forums and I was wondering what you all thought about my swapping the factory pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul. I've narrowed my search down to 2 Co's, EMG (Zakk Wylde 81 & 85) vs SD "hot rodded set"(SH-4 bridge & SH2 Jazz neck). I'm just a guitar "hack" that's been playing for about 6-7yrs...everything from KISS to some VH, Zepp, etc...I've read a lot of good about both pickup sets online (Guitar Center/Musician's Friend Reviews), but can't decide on which one to get! As far as price goes the Zakk's are $199 vs SD's at $129 and price is really not an issue. What do you think? And am I cheating myself by not seriously considering DiMarzio (Super Distorsion for my bridge pu)? Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks
I recently changed the pups in my guitar (see the sig), and I think it sounds absolutely great for anything blues to hard rock, which sounds about like what you need. If you want some brutal metal, maybe look into something else, but from the stuff you said, it should sound great.
Ibanez Xiphos XPT700
Laney VH100R
Epi Les Paul (SH-1 '59 neck, SH-11 custom custom bridge)
what sound do you like best? its your money, your guitar, your sound. all up to you man honestly
Wow! I didn't know about having to rout for the EMG's. I think that was the deal breaker! Think I'm gonna go with the Duncans. Thanks all...
you dont have to rout the body for your guitar for the EMGs. i just did the 18v mod for my ZW 81/85 set and ive got 2 9 volts in there easy

but it would indeed help by knowing what amp you have
NOPE
Quote by gsf69
Hey all, I'm new to the Forums and I was wondering what you all thought about my swapping the factory pickups in my Epiphone Les Paul. I've narrowed my search down to 2 Co's, EMG (Zakk Wylde 81 & 85) vs SD "hot rodded set"(SH-4 bridge & SH2 Jazz neck). I'm just a guitar "hack" that's been playing for about 6-7yrs...everything from KISS to some VH, Zepp, etc...I've read a lot of good about both pickup sets online (Guitar Center/Musician's Friend Reviews), but can't decide on which one to get! As far as price goes the Zakk's are $199 vs SD's at $129 and price is really not an issue. What do you think? And am I cheating myself by not seriously considering DiMarzio (Super Distorsion for my bridge pu)? Any info will be much appreciated! Thanks

None of the above...Duncan Custom 5 bridge, 59 neck is more your style.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by gsf69
Wow! I didn't know about having to rout for the EMG's. I think that was the deal breaker! Think I'm gonna go with the Duncans. Thanks all...

Bull. Don't listen to that. You have plenty of room for the battery. Does the set come with pots and input jack? You will need to change out the pots as well with actives. Of course you could always put something like Dirty Fingers in there? Hmmm.

Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
u could just get standard emg 81 snd 85's. why zakkwylde set
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
^The dirty fingers are over priced. I agree with Steven Seagull. The SH-5 and SH-1 probably would be better. You may want an SH-6 Distortion for the bridge if you do some heavy stuff.
I wish i had a dollar for everytime i saw someone say "OMG EMG'S YOU HAVE TO GET YOUR GUITAR ROUTED FOR THE BATTERIES!!!!!!!!!!!"
Quote by mcrfobtai
^The dirty fingers are over priced. I agree with Steven Seagull. The SH-5 and SH-1 probably would be better. You may want an SH-6 Distortion for the bridge if you do some heavy stuff.

They are not overpriced. Based on what? What do you think they should cost?
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by mcrfobtai

Distortion would be too distorted and too trebly for the tones he wants
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by zoomzilla
They are not overpriced. Based on what? What do you think they should cost?

They are $120. There are plenty of SD and DiMarizio pups that are as good, if not better for $75. I don't think they are worth the extra $45 dollars.

^Would the distortion pup really make it that trebly? I didn't know that...
Quote by mcrfobtai
They are $120. There are plenty of SD and DiMarizio pups that are as good, if not better for $75. I don't think they are worth the extra $45 dollars.

^Would the distortion pup really make it that trebly? I didn't know that...

They are 99 at most places and you guys maybe don't understand what a high output pickup does. For anyone to say they are distorted have never played through them and doesn't understand. They are far from distorted. I have a SET on mine. My neck pickup is cleaner than it ever has been. To be honest it's "Warmer" than many other neck pickups I have used.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah