Anyone heard of these amps? I am happy with my amp and am not trying to advertise but I came across these somehow. They seem pretty cool. An all tube amp which comes with a template for one of the following
  • Line 6 POD 2 or XT
  • Vox ToneLab
  • Behringer V-Amp

This means that your modeller doesn't colour your tone apparently as it isn't part of the signal chain. I suppose what it does is gives you the equivalent of a Line 6 Spider Valve or something. Could be the answer to some people's dilemma, not mine though but I'll leave the link for anyone to check out.

http://www.g66.eu/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=97
^I've heard of them. My understanding is that the modeler HAS to be part of your signal chain. If it wasn't, there'd be no point in using it. The way these amps were advertised to me is transparent tube power to compliment and optimize your modeler. Anyone try one?
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
woaaah, thats actually kind of cool.

probably worth a look if any of those modelers sounded good.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
woaaah, thats actually kind of cool.

probably worth a look if any of those modelers sounded good.

The ToneLab and Pod get decent reviews in places, but I'm not one to judge as I've never used them.

The other thing I noticed was that they only have 2 6L6's and 1 12AX7, which isn't a lot for a 50 watt amp. I'm not sure how tubes work but that seems rather sparse. They do mention an 18 watt version on the site but I couldn't find it. Google time.

I conclude that these may be a useful gimmick, but I'm not parting witht the cash as you would need to buy the amp, and then an expensive modeller.
I can't use the edit button as it keeps crashing my computer.

Found the official website. www.atomicamps.com

The 18w version of the amp seems like a good deal. $449, although you need to buy a modeller seperate. But for my American cousins continental shipping is free.

Also, the 18w has the same number of tubes as the 50w version. I think I'd rather have three tubes pushing 18w than 50w. Sounds like it would be good for recording.

There are some YouTube videos available, including one of a guy using his pedalboard instead of a POD etc. so it may be a bit more versatile if you already have a big effects board.

GOD, this sounds like I'm plugging these amps but I'm not. I just think they seem cool and would interest some of you.
My basic understanding of these is they don't have a preamp of their own, just a power amp. You can do this with a Tech 21 Power Engine 60, just without the fancy holder for the unit.
^Isn't the Tech 21 solid state?

Quote by greggybhoy
The ToneLab and Pod get decent reviews in places, but I'm not one to judge as I've never used them.

The other thing I noticed was that they only have 2 6L6's and 1 12AX7, which isn't a lot for a 50 watt amp. I'm not sure how tubes work but that seems rather sparse. They do mention an 18 watt version on the site but I couldn't find it. Google time.

I conclude that these may be a useful gimmick, but I'm not parting witht the cash as you would need to buy the amp, and then an expensive modeller.

My POD XTL can sound great or awful depending on what I'm connected to. I've played through good setups that take no time to get a really good sound and other bad setups that I have yet to find a usable sound.

As far as the tubes, more tubes does not necessarily mean better or louder.
...to give your love no matter what is what she said...
Quote by life_777
Kind of don't understand it but its ok...

It's a tube power section where you can add any preamp of your choice (pod for instance) to be the main tone.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by greggybhoy

The 2x6L6 are the power tubes, and the 12AX7 is the phase inverter. It has no other tubes because it doesn't have a preamp...
Quote by thrilla13w
The hotbar should be floating parallel to the principle axis at this point. Next, take a hammer, and beat yourself in the face while crying JIHAD. problem fixed.

Quote by Slaytanic1993
cowdude speaks words of infinite wisdomery.
I keep looking at those also. They certainly sound like the perfect mate for a POD. Wish they had a lower watt model. I barely have a need for 5 let alone 18. The 1 to 5 watt head I'm looking at is actually more expensive then the Atomic, but I want to saturate the tubes before the neighbors call the cops not after and 18 tube watts around here would surely get the cops called. Other then that I think the POD is a great preamp and a direct power amp hookup with an atomic would be a excellent setup.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Quote by MESAexplorer
It's a tube power section where you can add any preamp of your choice (pod for instance) to be the main tone.

Thats kinda dumb...
Well well, finally a subject im really knowledgable on since I own and atomic reactor 112 18w.

Iv had this amp for the last year and it has served me through 3 preamps. Pod 2, Pod xt and more recently my Engl E530 preamp.

Heres the basics. Its a specially voiced poweramp/speaker combo. Voiced to remove alot of the nasty digitalness of modern modlers and add some of that tubey lovliness we guitarists crave. The controls are well.. non existant as you basically use the controls on whatever preamp you are using which is very nice as the main issue i have with using moddlers for anything other than direct recording is the fact you have to take into account the voicing of whatever amplifier you plug it into and then tweak to get a sound you are happy with. The atomic on the other hand has preamp section so whatever tonality it adds comes from the power tubes and the speaker which is also custom voiced to be as transparent as possible.

In practice it is by far and away the best way to amplify a modeller and as iv proved quite nicly its also very good with a tube preamp. The sound difference is quite startling between the atomic and a flat EQ'd (as best as i can get) SS amp. My main issue with moddlers has always been that with conventional amplification the general vibe of an amp has been captured in the model but the way its voiced by the amplifier is always a far cry from where it should be. The Atomic addresses this and adds some flavour to the mix and what you get is a far more accurate rendering , its still not perfect but its a huge step in the right direction and light years ahead of any other amplification for the job. The power amp also runs flat out all the time which adds alot of depth.

With a pod xt Live clean sounds inherit quite a bit of warmth and harmonic depth and the higher gain models loose quite alot of the harshness and digital fizz that plague the pod xt as well as fattening up the sound a little and boosting harmonic overtones.

The thing that surprised me the most is how well it will take tube preamps. I personally run an engl E530 into my atomic with my XT live in the E530s loop and its awesome. Cleans are a little dark for my liking directly from the Engl but the atomic sorts that out brighting up the whole affair leaving me with a nice balance. High gain settings further reflect this characteristic with the end product soundning alot more like the bastard son of a dual recto and a Jcm 800 with a bit of country twang just for good measure. Its right up my street as it takes alot of the characteristics i wanted but couldnt find any other way. Mesa low mid grind with a marshall middy roar with a twangy top kinda reminiscent of Paul Gilbert.

The best thing is you can use the Atomic as the base and add all manner of preamps on the market be it the Engl i use, Damag control pedals, Meas V twin, Jmp-1, ADA mp1 the list is almost endless.

My only gripe is that in its 1x12 config i sometimes feel im lacking bass response but then i went from a 4x12 to a 1x12 and its probably all me.
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Thanks halikus, that helped alot. Maybe my neighbors are just going to have to bite me!
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
I will say this, the 18w is very very loud with the 1x12 so gawd only knows what a 50w 2x12 will sound like. And yes the neighbours can go swivel on my finger as I give them the bird.
Thankfully iv not had to do this in years since the neighbours son took up guitar and is as loud if not more so than me.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

I'm not into digital processors at all, so maybe I just don't get it...

But why would I want to pay as much for a power amp only as I would pay for a complete tube combo of similar power? Couldn't you just plug your guitar into your modeler, and your modeler into the return of the amp's FX loop for a similar effect?
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
I know plenty of people who also dont get the appeal of digital preamps like the pods of this world. The simple way i see it is if had the tonal versitility of the pod using real amps id have spent best part of a hundred grand.

For me i used the pod as this sweet little stepping stone from toneless solid state and not knowing what sound i really wanted to hearing all this different stuff on the pod and making my mind up how i wanted the setup to sound eventually. Buying the Atomic has allowed me to make the transition from SS to full tube in a progressive and most importantly cheaper way and Iv found a very unique sound that I really like along the way.

If on the other hand I had infinate funds id have either a JSX or Roadking combo right now. But then whats to stop me from buying a rack power amp and using my old clestion equipped 4x12 thats been resigned to my wardrobe

Basically if you know exactly how your amp needs to sound then steer clear and buy the amp you know you want but if you dont quite know what you want from an amp theres plenty worse ways to go about finding your sound.

You could just plug the modeler into the loop of a regular amp but then you will have to deal with the voicing of the amps speaker and power section coloring the end tone.
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

+1 My Variax alone is easily equal to $8 to $10,000 in guitar tones. With the addition of the POD it's almost limitless. The real challenge is to find the power amp the marries the best of these components. But dollar for dollar it's great bang for the buck and the tones quite good considering it's digital. In alot of cases if your back is turned you can't tell it's not regular equipment. Not all of it's that good, but enough is to make it more then worth the get in price.

edit: I should probably add that what he says about finding your tone on the cheap is correct, but once you do find what it is you really like the chances are it's going to get pretty expensive.... analog pedal... rickenbacker 360...... mesa boogie....the list starts to get pricey pretty quick.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD
Last edited by scott58 at Feb 20, 2008,
All tube amp + multi-fx doesn't have the same effect. The original voice of the amp would still take over.
Are you looking for a zombie online game?
Join the survivors at Dead Frontier
Coming out March 2008

DON'T GET A MARSHALL MG OR A LINE 6 SPIDER.
Put this in your sig if you don't like the usual threads about these amps.
You do have to realize, despite having all those amp models built in, they're only models. True you do have an ultra versatile setup, but, it still isn't tube toned. Same with the variax, it might be great but it's not going to give you the real tone of each of the instruments it models.

With the amp modeling too, each model is every amp's specific well known tone, you don't have much versatility when it comes down to what you can do with each model. Such as the mesa rectifier models, they're based on the amps modern channel, despite the vintage channel being better or at least just as good as the modern channel.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by life_777
Thats kinda dumb...

It's a common thing for people to get a separate preamp and poweramp. Dave mustaine used a hybrid preamp (rocktron prophesy) into a tube power amp, and meshuggah used PODxT's into tube power amps as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Quote by greggybhoy
Anyone heard of these amps? I am happy with my amp and am not trying to advertise but I came across these somehow. They seem pretty cool. An all tube amp which comes with a template for one of the following
  • Line 6 POD 2 or XT
  • Vox ToneLab
  • Behringer V-Amp

This means that your modeller doesn't colour your tone apparently as it isn't part of the signal chain. I suppose what it does is gives you the equivalent of a Line 6 Spider Valve or something. Could be the answer to some people's dilemma, not mine though but I'll leave the link for anyone to check out.

http://www.g66.eu/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=97

Doesn't sound like a Spidervalve.. Sounds better

Not saying the Spidervalve soudns bad, just this setup sounds better.. No idea why, it just does
whats to get? you get a decent FX unit, and now it has a tube power section. lots of gigging pros use a similar set up, just cause its digital doesn't mean its bad.

in the end, 99% of your tones end up coming out of a solid state/digital source anyway. whether its being recorded to a computer, mixed down digitally, encoded to an mp3/wma, and then.. played on an ipod or other solid state ghetto blaster.

*shrugs*

as for the atomic amps? brilliant idea. i love em.
Grammar and spelling omitted as an exercise for the reader.
Quote by MESAexplorer
You do have to realize, despite having all those amp models built in, they're only models. True you do have an ultra versatile setup, but, it still isn't tube toned. Same with the variax, it might be great but it's not going to give you the real tone of each of the instruments it models.

With the amp modeling too, each model is every amp's specific well known tone, you don't have much versatility when it comes down to what you can do with each model. Such as the mesa rectifier models, they're based on the amps modern channel, despite the vintage channel being better or at least just as good as the modern channel.

It really doesn't matter. It's alot like taking 2 of the same guitar. They don't sound the same as each other either. The bottom line is do you like what you hear? And with the Variax and the POD there's just to much there i like to listen to. And in alot of cases (not all mind you) if you didn't know what you were listening to you just can't tell it's all digital. But like everything else it has to be setup properly and some things it likes better then others. Trying to incorporate a tube power amp is more an attempt at improving the tone quality inside all that versatility on top of what you already have (i'm personally just looking for a touch creamier). Like halikus said it's the cheapest way to find out what it is you really want to play. This type of equipment will let you know exactly what you really want and when it's time to drop big dollars I'm gonna be alot more confident then i would have been otherwise.

The other part of it is you can switch to completely different amp and guitar models in less then a second. Practicing dual instrument songs is so easy with this kind of stuff. My practice is so much easier now then what it was before i got this.

If you absolutely have to have analog and 100% tube signal everybody can understand that "you want what you want", but if you want to be exposed to a much wider range of tone and styles of music this is the best way to do it. Especially if your pockets aren't as deep as you'd like them to be.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Line 6 Pod HD