so it seems like a lot of people here that hate the news and find it all biased and wrong. I've been confused about this. Sure, the cable news shows like o'reilly or keith oberman definitely have opinion and bias in them, but when i watch shows like nbc nightly news i never see any opinions. I also wonder how you're supposed to get your information if not from a news source..
They don't have to give an opinion to be biased.
Soon you will sit on the bench
of those who deny I have my soul
You sell a dream you create
Condemned by what you condemned before
Smooth are the words you sing down and high
Underground is your joy your laws
watch The Colbert Report or The Daily Show. they're not biased, they give everyone hell.
Quote by AAAAAAAAAARGH
Gold/Silver/Crystal.

Simply because I could breed the pokemon, and act out my sick sexual fantasies between Dittos and Chanseys.

Quote by bequickorbedead
She had sex..with my...AIDS?
Quote by MedicreDemon
They don't have to give an opinion to be biased.

This is true..
well it depends, I thought from the thread title that this was the hate on UG news recently. As for that, an experience user can tell you that one.

As far as public news, you can't see opinions on that kind of stuff. It's all what's being pulled by the strings of "the man", as in they only show what they want you to see...honestly though, I really have no clue, other than that.
Sgt. Major--UG 7-string Legion

Guitars:
ESP/ltd. Viper-400 (see-thru black cherry rules)
Schecter Revenger 7
Washburn E/A 9 Festival
Ibanez Gio

Gear:
Peavey 6505+ head and XXX cab
BOSS GT-10
Fender 212R amp
Mesa/Boogie V-Twin
You just have to watch as many news as possible and try to compare them. They will have some consensus that you can assume to be legit.
I agree with the replyers.

The whole fiasco in Iraq is a perfect example. They never show you positive progress and what they are actually doing for the country, just what they want you to see, such as rising death tolls and suicide bombing.

My dad is a Korean war vet, so he has VA benefits. He gets check-ups at the VA in Minneapolis, and meets all these pissed-off Iraqi vets. He talks to him and what I just said was exactly what they hate about the press in general.

/iraqiwartopic.
Well news is always biased to some degree.

For example, if the US shoots down a Chinese spy satellite, the American news presents this as "US military shoots down Chinese spy satellite", but in China, they see the news as "Chinese Satellite attacked and destroyed by US military".

It's all controlled by "the man" as someone put it.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
Quote by breadstick
Well news is always biased to some degree.

For example, if the US shoots down a Chinese spy satellite, the American news presents this as "US military shoots down Chinese spy satellite", but in China, they see the news as "Chinese Satellite attacked and destroyed by US military".

It's all controlled by "the man" as someone put it.

yeah i agree. So really it just comes down to examining all point of views and drawing a conclusion based on all of them. It really annoys me though. I've seen people here talk about how US news is "sooo biased" but news like the BBC is completely unbiased.
i hate the news because it never shows the good side of the world anymore, after 9/11 its like the news corporations (read: rupert merdock, the dude at the head of fox) discovered that misery sells, the news almost never has any feel good stories, no, its all war/disease/"terror"

to me, its nothing but fear mongering
i disagree. the news i watch normaly shows a good deal of positive stuff.
Quote by Spamwise
i disagree. the news i watch normaly shows a good deal of positive stuff.

It is not what they show, it is how they show it. The media is not always overt.

You can see how some news channels are different in how they present the same article but in the end, persuade viewers to have different dispositions to the same topic.

Example, Channel 7 and 9 news did a article on some guy who was accused of terrorism. Both channels talked about how long it took for him to get home to Australia and stated facts. 1 channel stated facts and showed footage of the man and his family at a pool party having fun. The other channel did not show that footage and instead showed footage of training camps in Pakistan or something. The viewer's disposition will be different depending on which channel they watch.
i watch the news and google around for my sources. i avoid FOX and 60 minutes at all costs.
most news is biased on the liberal side so they wont show too many good things, I remember when one news was filming this thing in iraq I think, and they were making it seem like there was huge desaster. you could see all kinds of ambulences, but they were acted out so that it made things look way worse than it really was. lol.
Quote by RetroGunslinger
this is like comparing a flushing toilet to a hole in the ground
It all has to do with what they report. For example:

During the hurricane Katrina aftermath when New Orleans was flooded, a newspaper showed a white couple carrying stuff on top of their heads (remember, waist deep water), with a caption that read "Two survivors pick through the aftermath of the hurricane etc etc", while in another newspaper it showed two black kids doing the same thing and the caption reads "Two looters gather what they can in the aftermath etc etc".

Or like how we hear nothing when black women get kidnapped, but as soon as they kidnap a pretty white lady, it's all over the news.

Or how if a terrorist sneezes in Iraq, they have it all over CNN, but when a mexican military platoon CROSSES THE US BORDER AND HAS A STANDOFF WITH THE AMERICAN MILITARY, you never hear about it (look it up. Glenn Beck did a whole show about it).

They're all full of s*** and are only out to help their contributers. Period.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Its not nessicarily hate for the news for me, its what is considered news.
Its all miserable rape, murder, war, disasters ect.
never positive things, always the bad news, emphasizing whats wrong with the world
when everyone knows it going to hell anyway.
call me Shelby

^Glenn Beck also (apparently) promotes the 9/11 conspiracy, so i wouldnt take him too seriously.
Quote by Spamwise
^Glenn Beck also (apparently) promotes the 9/11 conspiracy, so i wouldnt take him too seriously.

Yeah, like most of that stuff I take it with a grain of salt, but there's defenately some truth to it because a local Texas paper had a story on their website about it, then removed it some hours later.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by Spamwise

No he doesn't. Any proof?
Taylor GS8 Rosewood/Spruce