Sorry if this thread already exists, i searched and only found threads that touch on the subject.... basically I'm looking for some kind of OD or boost pedal that willl give my solo tone a lot of heat and sustain without a lot of clip or graininess.... I already have a Rocktron Zombie for the heavy crunchy super distorted stuff.

I'm looking for a Vai-type tone that preserves my guitar's sound (Ibanez SZ720 w/ Duncan JB for bridge and duncan 59 in neck), and picking dynamics, lots of overtones, harmonics, and some feedback is good.

My amps are a Vox AD15VT hybrid tube practice amp and a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 40 watt all-tube amp.

I know Vai has sweet-ass Dimarzio pickups and a rack full of goodies, but i know he uses a Boss DS-1 so i was wondering if that would be good....

Maybe a sustainer pedal? Never tried one before.....

Basically I need the boost, sustain, and aggressiveness of a hot distortion/metal pedal without the grindy, grainy, muddiness of it.....

It's all about the creaminess here....

Suggestions?
I like how on every thread that someone actually needs help, they apologize first haha

Dude you might want to try a compressor/sustainer pedal, and maybe a gain boosting pedal, I heard the digitech bad monkey does a good job at this.
??? Do they?? I'll have to search around online for that. I have thought about the Bad Monkey but I heard it sounds like a Tube Screamer, and, even though I played a TS through a crappy little solid state in a store, I just wasn't too impressed with it's sound, honestly.... that might all change with my Fender though so I don't know..... but it still doesn't have the sustain and heat that I'm looking for.
Oh and BTW I have an MXR Super Comp for compression, but I'm still getting used to the settings on it, it takes me a while to get it to do what I want it to do.
damage control demonizer ftw
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Thanks for the info guys keep the ideas comin I will go to Reno soon and check out a bunch of different stuff in the guitar store.... too bad my fave store doesn't let people test out pedals for the most part, looks like I might have to go to guitar center *shudder*

I looked at some Vai info, and he said he plays through the DS-1 except when he really wants to shred fast, then turns on a Tube Screamer for fast runs since the DS-1 can't keep up.... not like I really need to worry about that

The new Jemini pedal was unveiled in some magazine or website in Japan.... damn thing is ugly as hell but I'm sure it probably sounds cool.... just the two aforementioned OD pedals combined into one unit with two separate circuits..... I'm not sure if he used both at once or one at a time.......
Get an amp that actually fits your needs...you'll NEVER get those sounds out of a Hot Rod, pedals or no, it's designed to be bright and punchy. As far as the Vox goes it's not going to take too well to pedals.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Hmmm.... I never really even considered that, but you're exactly right now that I think about it...... that Fender only really shines when I'm playing clean or slightly dirty funk on the clean or smoother drive channel, and old-school punk rock, with muffly/growly, squawky sounding power chords on the hotter drive channel.

I just haven't gotten that thing to shine with any other styles..... that Vox, however, actually takes to my pedals quite nicely but doesn't have the sustain I want since it just has that dinky little tube in the preamp. It's also useless for any band situations...

So, amp freaks, if you see this thread, give me some ideas for creamy yet searing, sustaining yet dynamic/overtoney, sweet cheesedick Vai style soloing amps..

I know Vai used to use Marshalls way back in the day but now he has some custom job made by like Carvin or Crate if I'm not mistaken....
Vai uses a Boss DS-1, but I think it's also Keeley modded.

Edit - Oh, if you're looking for an amp now, a Carvin Legacy would be the best choice, since it's his signature amp (and a fantastic, versatile amp altogether).
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Don't get the Bad Monkey it sounds nothing like Vai. The BM is only good if you want to sound like Led Zep or Aerosmith or something, it's terrible for leads. No sustain, responsiveness, or decent gain on the thing, glad I only paid $20 for mine.

I have a Dimarzio Evolution pickup and honestly it doesn't make much difference. You get more pinch harmonics and punchiness but it definitely won't get you too much closer to his tone. Even with a tube amp and a good guitar I can't come close for some reason, it's starting to piss me off.
Quote by CLVPX
Wow, SkyValley = Epic win.
I can only assume that to truly get his tone you need his amp, mainly, and it wouldn't hurt to have his rack in there either.....

Wow I'm regretting getting that Hot Rod Deluxe now.... even though it's great for blues and funk and stuff.....

anyone tried the Occtone modded DS-1? I read a rave review about it in Guitar World.... i guess it takes the regular DS-1 and adds more tonal character to the mids and highs, gets it to sing and sustain more......

sounds intriguing.
Quote by LesPaulPwns
Hmmm.... I never really even considered that, but you're exactly right now that I think about it...... that Fender only really shines when I'm playing clean or slightly dirty funk on the clean or smoother drive channel, and old-school punk rock, with muffly/growly, squawky sounding power chords on the hotter drive channel.

I just haven't gotten that thing to shine with any other styles..... that Vox, however, actually takes to my pedals quite nicely but doesn't have the sustain I want since it just has that dinky little tube in the preamp. It's also useless for any band situations...

So, amp freaks, if you see this thread, give me some ideas for creamy yet searing, sustaining yet dynamic/overtoney, sweet cheesedick Vai style soloing amps..

I know Vai used to use Marshalls way back in the day but now he has some custom job made by like Carvin or Crate if I'm not mistaken....

I jam with a blues band sometimes - if I take my RG with Dimarzios it sounds great through the lead guitarists Marshall TSL but dog-awful throught the singers Hot Rod Deville, thin and weedy. That amp sounds absolutely amazing with a Strat plugged into it though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Yeah I can't wait to get a Strat for my Hot Rod Deluxe.... those Fender amps are voiced to take advantage of a strat, not my humbucker-equipped- chunk-of-mahogany Ibanez lol.....

Eventually that Hot Rod will just be part of a blues rig and I will most likely get a soloing guitar such as a Jem or have a Strat doing double-duty as a blues axe AND a rock solo stick..... and use the Ibanez for rhythm and some jazz.....
Yeah... demonizer... sounds REAL smooth...... lulz @ that.

I'm not paying 300 bucks so I can play some more metal......
Quote by DaddyTwoFoot
Vai uses a Boss DS-1, but I think it's also Keeley modded.

Edit - Oh, if you're looking for an amp now, a Carvin Legacy would be the best choice, since it's his signature amp (and a fantastic, versatile amp altogether).

He uses the boss on another, smaller fender combo amp , together with his legacies, he uses to fatten up the sound, so it's not entirely responsible.

Quote by Jahsoul
The Fulltone OCD is the answer to all OD questions.

No it's not.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
i'm searching for the same thing and having the same problem.
increasing the gain on my mesa/boogie f-30 112 combo only makes the sound "grindy" and "muddy".
pickups are evolutions.
i have a keeley comp, but still i can't get that "something".
should i get myself the carvin legacy or will the jemini be my godsend?
Quote by SkyValley
Don't get the Bad Monkey it sounds nothing like Vai. The BM is only good if you want to sound like Led Zep or Aerosmith or something, it's terrible for leads. No sustain, responsiveness, or decent gain on the thing, glad I only paid $20 for mine.

I have a Dimarzio Evolution pickup and honestly it doesn't make much difference. You get more pinch harmonics and punchiness but it definitely won't get you too much closer to his tone. Even with a tube amp and a good guitar I can't come close for some reason, it's starting to piss me off.

You do realize that it's an overdrive, right? It's not supposed to have "decent gain".
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.